What pc do i need for 144fps?

• Hi guys !

What pc spec would i need to to run the game at constant 120 or 144 fps?

Thx in advance ;)

• I hear Skynet’s available.

• Maybe $7,000 would cover it?

Aurora:
    Alienware Aurora Desktop	 	AMR4H	 	1	 	[225-2262]	 	1

Processors:
    2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3970x (15M Cache, Overclocked up to 4.3 GHz)	 	MI73970	 	1	 	[319-1768]	 	2

Operating System:
    Windows® 7 Professional, 64Bit, English	 	W7P61E	 	1	 	[331-4881][331-4885][420-9691][421-4047][421-4652][421-5748][421-8808][421-9378]	 	11

Memory:
    32GB (4 X 8GB) Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz	 	32G164D	 	1	 	[317-8674]	 	3

Video Card:
    Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680 2GB GDDR5	 	W8G680D	 	1	 	[320-9911]	 	6

Hard Drive:
    512GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive	 	512SSD	 	1	 	[342-3696]	 	8

• Highly depends on your resolution. With my slightly oc’d 670FTW which performs a tad better than a stock 680, @ 1080p, with a 3570k@4.4ghz I usually have a minimum of ~70 fps shooting up to the 100s quite often depending on the situation. You’d probably need something in the dual 660ti’s/7870s range(at 1080p), with a good CPU to back em up(3570k if you’re going Z77, 3820/3930k if you’re looking to spend more on X79 which I wouldn’t personally recommend if this is solely for gaming). Not exactly cost effective for one game game that shouldn’t require that much, but since you say you want 120/144fps constantly, it is what it is.

• Lol @ Alienware

• @venomblade:

Highly depends on your resolution. With my slightly oc’d 670FTW which performs a tad better than a stock 680, @ 1080p, with a 3570k@4.4ghz I usually have a minimum of ~70 fps shooting up to the 100s quite often depending on the situation. You’d probably need something in the dual 660ti’s/7870s range(at 1080p), with a good CPU to back em up(3570k if you’re going Z77, 3820/3930k if you’re looking to spend more on X79 which I wouldn’t personally recommend if this is solely for gaming). Not exactly cost effective for one game game that shouldn’t require that much, but since you say you want 120/144fps constantly, it is what it is.

I have exactly the same setup except I didn’t OC my CPU (because Ivy Bridge gets really hot) and I get about the same fps. Which isn’t surprising since CPU isn’t the issue.

I get minimum of about 65-ish fps to max of 144 fps. (Which is my monitor refresh rate)

Also note that I turned off most of the settings except Ambient Occlusion, Detail level, and Dynamic Lights. And other settings mostly on medium. I turned Texture to lowest and surprisingly it improved fps drastically, about 20 fps.

• thx guys.

venomblade, those 3750k etc you mention - it is 3750 euro ?

• @dimon:

thx guys.

Ahh no, the CPU name fully is Intel i5 3570k. The “K” just denotes that the CPU has an unlocked multiplier making it insanely easy to overclock. Not sure where you’d shop to buy parts online in the EU, I’m sure you have a few places you’d know of, but I got mine for $180. It usually retails ~ $220-230 here in the US.

@man:

I have exactly the same setup except I didn’t OC my CPU (because Ivy Bridge gets really hot) and I get about the same fps. Which isn’t surprising since CPU isn’t the issue.

I get minimum of about 65-ish fps to max of 144 fps. (Which is my monitor refresh rate)

Also note that I turned off most of the settings except Ambient Occlusion, Detail level, and Dynamic Lights. And other settings mostly on medium. I turned Texture to lowest and surprisingly it improved fps drastically, about 20 fps.

Ivy can get hot depending on how far you’re trying to go. I hit 4.4ghz(@ 1.224-1.232v) on a cheap $30 Hyper 212 EVO and my temps rarely, if ever exceed 60c when gaming, and that’s well within safe range. However, to reach 4.5, for me and my chip at least, it takes a massive voltage bump and the temps aren’t to my liking so I can live without that extra 100mhz.

• Thx Venomblade. I live in Russia, but we have a shop for pc parts near the bears den. Is it worth buying this processor if i dont know anything about unlocking or overclocking ? :D

• @dimon:

I live in Russia, but we have a shop for pc parts near the bears den.

Only in Russia.

• @dimon:

Thx Venomblade. I live in Russia, but we have a shop for pc parts near the bears den. Is it worth buying this processor if i dont know anything about unlocking or overclocking ? :D

Definitely. It’s pretty much one of the best bang for the buck CPUs for gaming, and if you ever want to learn, you’ll always have the ability to and not be locked out.

• @venomblade:

@dimon:

Thx Venomblade. I live in Russia, but we have a shop for pc parts near the bears den. Is it worth buying this processor if i dont know anything about unlocking or overclocking ? :D

Definitely. It’s pretty much one of the best bang for the buck CPUs for gaming, and if you ever want to learn, you’ll always have the ability to and not be locked out.

I have the 3570K also. I haven’t overclocked it at all and I get similar performance.
    Just make sure to put it with a Z77 motherboard. This is the first Intel board to feature faster cpu/memory access and makes all the difference in the world. I like the ASUS Sabertooth. You only need 16GB of memory.

The 3770 processor has hyperthreading which won’t matter for most games but is good for other computing tasks. If you have more money than you need, get the 3770K.

• i got the computer you guys are talking about for 1560AUD……+72AUD for the 16gb 1600mhz ram i got.
    It included a 1ms asus monitor too…

• @venomblade:

@dimon:

thx guys.

Ahh no, the CPU name fully is Intel i5 3570k. The “K” just denotes that the CPU has an unlocked multiplier making it insanely easy to overclock. Not sure where you’d shop to buy parts online in the EU, I’m sure you have a few places you’d know of, but I got mine for $180. It usually retails ~ $220-230 here in the US.

@man:

Ivy can get hot depending on how far you’re trying to go. I hit 4.4ghz(@ 1.224-1.232v) on a cheap $30 Hyper 212 EVO and my temps rarely, if ever exceed 60c when gaming, and that’s well within safe range. However, to reach 4.5, for me and my chip at least, it takes a massive voltage bump and the temps aren’t to my liking so I can live without that extra 100mhz.

That’s not what I mean. I have the same cooler. I also have a Noctua DH14 but it doesn’t fit due to my sound card. I meant that even if your CPU temp is relatively low, the cpu brings out a lot of heat so the room gets super hot over the summer. AND OC reduces the lifetime of a CPU too. I’m very happy with 3.8 ghz stock. There’s almost no noticeable difference between stock speed and 4.5 ghz anyways. If you do benchmark, sure the numbers are better on a OC cpu, but when you are doing daily stuff, webbrowsing, gaming, doing photoshop, you can’t really tell much difference. 4.4ghz vs 3.8 ghz, you probably gain about max of 5 fps on gaming.

• @man:

@venomblade:

@dimon:

thx guys.

@man:

That’s not what I mean. I have the same cooler. I also have a Noctua DH14 but it doesn’t fit due to my sound card. I meant that even if your CPU temp is relatively low, the cpu brings out a lot of heat so the room gets super hot over the summer. AND OC reduces the lifetime of a CPU too. I’m very happy with 3.8 ghz stock. There’s almost no noticeable difference between stock speed and 4.5 ghz anyways. If you do benchmark, sure the numbers are better on a OC cpu, but when you are doing daily stuff, webbrowsing, gaming, doing photoshop, you can’t really tell much difference. 4.4ghz vs 3.8 ghz, you probably gain about max of 5 fps on gaming.

Uh, considering the temps of your hardware would directly affect your room temperatures(and vice versa), I’m not sure how you can say that if the temps are low, you’ll still give off more heat. Also, a 4.4ghz OC with barely slight voltage bump isn’t going to be taking any noticeable life length of it. By the time it would even be close, you probably would’ve upgraded. Not going to argue that, that’s up to preference, do what you want, but the performance gained by OC’ing depends solely on the game, and there is a noticeable benefit(again depending on the application). Techspot does great CPU scaling benches. Some will see greater gains over others.(<- hyperlinked, if it doesn’t show as blue)

• @venomblade:

[Uh, considering the temps of your hardware would directly affect your room temperatures(and vice versa), I’m not sure how you can say that if the temps are low, you’ll still give off more heat. Also, a 4.4ghz OC with barely slight voltage bump isn’t going to be taking any noticeable life length of it. By the time it would even be close, you probably would’ve upgraded. [/quote]
    I like to run at stock until the next gen processors come out, then overclock it to keep up for a few ‘tick/tock’ cycles.
    @venomblade:

performance gained by OC’ing depends solely on the game, and there is a noticeable benefit(again depending on the application). Techspot does great CPU scaling benches. Some will see greater gains over others.(<- hyperlinked, if it doesn’t show as blue)

The 3D architecture of Ivy Bridge makes overclocking much less efficient. It increases performance some, but not to the degree of the previous generations of Intel processors.I miss my Q6600 - that was an OC monster :D

• @BillDoor:

@venomblade:

[Uh, considering the temps of your hardware would directly affect your room temperatures(and vice versa), I’m not sure how you can say that if the temps are low, you’ll still give off more heat. Also, a 4.4ghz OC with barely slight voltage bump isn’t going to be taking any noticeable life length of it. By the time it would even be close, you probably would’ve upgraded. [/quote]
    I like to run at stock until the next gen processors come out, then overclock it to keep up for a few ‘tick/tock’ cycles.
    @venomblade:

performance gained by OC’ing depends solely on the game, and there is a noticeable benefit(again depending on the application). Techspot does great CPU scaling benches. Some will see greater gains over others.(<- hyperlinked, if it doesn’t show as blue)

The 3D architecture of Ivy Bridge makes overclocking much less efficient. It increases performance some, but not to the degree of the previous generations of Intel processors.I miss my Q6600 - that was an OC monster :D

I’m pretty much the opposite haha, I like to get the max OC I can get, while not being too adventerous just because I like tinkering. And yea, never had a Core2Quad, but I heard they were crazy OC’ers, getting the Bclk ~400 and you could still mess with the multiplier, with SB/IB, you can barely get the Bclk to ~103mhz, from default 100mhz, it’s been a tad too simplified for my liking relying solely on multiplier changes. Haswell is supposed to bring back Bclk overclocking so that should be interesting. Not planning on upgrading to it as I’m sure they’ll probably continue the trend of focusing more on the IGP more than anything, and our CPUs will be more than enough for a good long while.