The Messer

• How do you guys feel about that ol’ meatcleaver? I really like it, although it can be quite tricky sometimes, especially if I’m just flat out having a bad couple of days in the game.

How do you think it compares to the SoW and the Long-ish sword?

I’m not sure I agree with it being so short. I mean, I don’t think it needs to be as long as the longsword, but it does seem that the reach is a bit too small.

I’d like to hear from the competitive players in particular, but average joes like me are welcome to share their opinions as well.

• The Messer is almost as long as the Sword of War, don’t trust the ingame charts, they are very misleading.

• @Falc:

The Messer is almost as long as the Sword of War, don’t trust the ingame charts, they are very misleading.

I know it is very nearly as long as the SoW, but it still does not really sit right with me. The SoW is longer, faster, and it has pretty much the same damage output due to its superior speed. Again, I’m not saying it’s broken or anything.

• I prefer the SoW because I like stabbing more. Stabby stabby!

• The messer is great but it takes a bit longer to learn than some other weapons. You tend to have to wield it like a maul or zwei.

To me it feels like it has even longer range than the SoW, not sure.

• @Dr.Nick:

The messer is great but it takes a bit longer to learn than some other weapons. You tend to have to wield it like a maul or zwei.

To me it feels like it has even longer range than the SoW, not sure.

I think it has been confirmed that the SoW is longer, but not by a lot. If anyone can find the actual weapon lengths, feel free to share.

• I would believe that too. It’s been a while since I used the SoW with any regularity so I’ll let someone else answer as to which is longer.

• The vast majority of Knights who were able to tear me to shreds were using the Messer. It is definitely a very potent weapon in the right hands, though I, personally, never got a feel for it.

However, the Messer seems to be the only bastard sword that nobody uses one-handed… I encountered this maybe once in my whole playtime, and trying it for myself it seemed to be even harder to get behind than the 2-handed use.

• Messer is definetly a good weapon, tough it has some terrible aspects for example counterattacks. But then again its a really good weapon to drag with ;)

• It would need a slight better range to compete with LS and SoW. Atm it is indeed shorter than the SoW. If you equip the messer you need a good secondary which you should always use against Maa and archers (though you can try a one-hit with overhead against archers).

I love mouse-dragging with it.

• @Goatamon:

@Falc:

The Messer is almost as long as the Sword of War, don’t trust the ingame charts, they are very misleading.

I know it is very nearly as long as the SoW, but it still does not really sit right with me. The SoW is longer, faster, and it has pretty much the same damage output due to its superior speed. Again, I’m not saying it’s broken or anything.

Speed is somewhat overrated when speaking of Two handers. When you get to speeds of some one handers it can become far more pronounced, but at least in duels or scrims with high ranking players, it’s rare that speed will be what wins you the game. In fact, the Messer has one critical advantage over the other knight swords in it is slower but deals more powerful. This means two things, it’s easier to drag it (delaying it so it hits after your opponent drops his guard that he threw up too soon) and also inspires more fear / caution. Not many weapons are worth hit trading with the Messer. This is especially good against aggressive players as it throws them off their standard game.

• @Falc:

Messer has most range between the Two-handed Sword because of its slow release time, and its also a very powerful weapon to manipulate swings with, by the cost of the stab.

• @wildwulfy:

@Falc:

Messer has most range between the Two-handed Sword because of its slow release time, and its also a very powerful weapon to manipulate swings with, by the cost of the stab.

I have found the stab to be somewhat useful when combo’d, since it has nearly the same combo windup as your other attacks and quicker release, you can leave yourself a bit safer by stabbing for the kill in combo, as it will kill anything but a knight with 1 OH or swing to a stab finish. Also good as the 3rd hit on a knight that just won’t quit after 2 good smacks. Its barely weaker than the longsword stab, its more the speed of starting windup that makes it less useful.

• @Anonymoose:

@wildwulfy:

@Falc:

I have found the stab to be somewhat useful when combo’d, since it has nearly the same combo windup as your other attacks and quicker release, you can leave yourself a bit safer by stabbing for the kill in combo, as it will kill anything but a knight with 1 OH or swing to a stab finish. Also good as the 3rd hit on a knight that just won’t quit after 2 good smacks. Its barely weaker than the longsword stab, its more the speed of starting windup that makes it less useful.

I have to admit I kind of tend to forget the stab even exists with that weapon. It really isn’t bad at all as a finisher, and even though it is slow, it can be somewhat useful as a parry-stab.

The one thing I am crap at is mousedragging. Seems like about 1% of players fall for it when I try to do it:D really must practice more….