Rank balance server option?

• Do you think this game needs such an option? I think it would be really good. It is really annoying to get TO games where one team has almost exclusively high-ranking players and the other team is full of people who have been playing for about a week. It’s annoying no matter which team you are on: one team gets bored because they just slaughter absolutely everyone and they have no challenge, and the other team gets their collective colon stomped on so hard its not even funny anymore. I’ve been on the OP teams and the underpowered teams, and I can tell you its no fun for anyone.

I swear this has happened to me about 12 times in the past week. The worst was a game in dark forest where the entire mason team had one player who was under rank 32. The agatha team on the other hand, had one player who was above rank 19. Me. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what happened in that map. I’ve literally never seen a map end so quickly. Each objective took about 3 minutes, except for the sluice gate which took about 30 seconds.

Now, I know that rank does not tell the whole story. I’m rank 31 and I sometimes get my ass handed to me by rank 15 because I’ve just been playing like shit that day. But you can’t pretend that rank does not matter. Oddly enough, the top scoring players are almost always the ones ranked the highest.

I just think it makes the games feel a bit redundant when it is basically noobs vs. elites. I really, really wish there was an option for balancing the ranks.

• I’ve been saying this for a long time - this game needs an in built for official servers, and optional for private server admins, match balancing based on rank. A unbalanced match is no fun for either side and balancing according to player rank is still the best way of balancing a match.

• @Jimmie:

I’ve been saying this for a long time - this game needs an in built for official servers, and optional for private server admins, match balancing based on rank. A unbalanced match is no fun for either side and balancing according to player rank is still the best way of balancing a match.

Yep. It also seems that quite often high level players all tend to flock to the side that is more “fun” depending on the map. There are exceptions obviously, but I do see this quite a lot. It does seem like a bit of a coincidence that all the high levels went to the same side.

• @Goatamon:

Yep. It also seems that quite often high level players all tend to flock to the side that is more “fun” depending on the map. There are exceptions obviously, but I do see this quite a lot. It does seem like a bit of a coincidence that all the high levels went to the same side.

At least it is better than it was. In the past high levels would go defense on Citadel and Hillside. At least now those maps are better balanced.

The problem with rank balancing is that it takes away the choice from the players who may want to stay together with steam friends or have a preference for the particular map.

I think there was an influx of new players from the steam sale so hence the maps got a little more unbalanced. Prior to the sale most people were rank 20+.

It will balance out again as the newbies either quit or rank up.

• @gregcau:

@Goatamon:

At least it is better than it was. In the past high levels would go defense on Citadel and Hillside. At least now those maps are better balanced.

The problem with rank balancing is that it takes away the choice from the players who may want to stay together with steam friends or have a preference for the particular map.

I think there was an influx of new players from the steam sale so hence the maps got a little more unbalanced. Prior to the sale most people were rank 20+.

It will balance out again as the newbies either quit or rank up.

That could be. I think that it absolutely shouldn’t be mandatory for all servers, but an option. If you want to make sure that you and your friends end up on the same team, you can go to a server with no such balancing.

It is definitely better than it used to be. But the fact that it still happens to an alarming degree I think means it is still kind of a problem. It could also be that I just have hideously bad luck:P

• I, personally, despise anything that forces team swaps. Mainly because I hate playing defence on any TO map in a pub. Not sure it should be enforced on every official server, but perhaps some and a server option would definitely be nice.

• I think any kind of forcing of “balance” based on ranks is stupid. Especially rank filters disallowing higher ranks from entering games. I am 100% for smashing noobs, not allowing them to hide in low rank servers where I cannot reach them. You want practice? Play the tutorial or offline bots. Don’t rob me of my pub smash just because you don’t want to take your lumps like everyone else who is new.

I say anything that swaps team members should be a voted console command or something, not something forced in every single game. Like something along the lines of voteswapteam (name,name) or voteshuffleteams.

• @Slaughtervomit:

I think any kind of forcing of “balance” based on ranks is stupid.

Why is balance in quotes? A team of 30s vs a team of 20s is typically a complete slaughter D=.

• @Slaughtervomit:

I think any kind of forcing of “balance” based on ranks is stupid. Especially rank filters disallowing higher ranks from entering games. I am 100% for smashing noobs, not allowing them to hide in low rank servers where I cannot reach them. You want practice? Play the tutorial or offline bots. Don’t rob me of my pub smash just because you don’t want to take your lumps like everyone else who is new.

I say anything that swaps team members should be a voted console command or something, not something forced in every single game. Like something along the lines of voteswapteam (name,name) or voteshuffleteams.

I think noob severs would be a good idea. I’m sure plenty of noobs will still join normal servers to get stomped too. Still, it would be nice to have servers that are full of noobs and other servers that have generally a higher skill level in them.

voteshuffleteams might be a good idea too, though I doubt it being used all that often.

• I find that playing this game more casually is more fun for me, instead of going all hardcore “I want to win” style. So I usually don’t care if one team is much better than the other.

But I will say that my personal experience is that games tend to be pretty even most of the time. I play on 24 man servers, TO, maybe the size changes things but yeah.

• There is an “auto balance based on deaths” option in the server configs. I assume it auto balances based on current performance, so that seems like basically what you’re asking for but without looking at the rank of the player.

It’s probably not the default setting for a reason though, who knows, maybe it doesn’t work so well.

• I saved this thread and forgot to respond to it previously. I’m sure you all know by now, but I had created 4 official low rank servers viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12982

So the option is there. If we get another big sale and influx of nublettes, I’ll create more and hopefully by then the rank 0 issue will have been fixed.

Also in regards to rank limit options, all servers have the option to set a minimum and maximum rank on their servers. I’ve seen a few that have utilized this option.

I’ll also be making a couple higher ranked servers as well. Might as well make them now since Steam is down and I can’t play >.>