Halberd - Overhead Damage Type Change

• We’ve all seen that nasty spike on the back of the Halberd. I think it would certainly differentiate the halberd from the other Polearms if the overhead was maybe the Pierce/Blunt Damage type and used that spike. It would make it more similar to how the Knight’s poleaxe works. This would give the halberd more viability against knights and less against classes like the MAA, but it would make it more balanced as a weapon overall. It would also be nice to see the Vanguard actually use all the parts of his weapon.

I don’t think it would make that much of a difference but would add a new niche for the Halberd to fill.

• Two overheads kill everything but the knight which requires three. It sounds like you want to change it to three hits for MAA and two for knight? :?

• @ReMixx:

Two overheads kill everything but the knight which requires three. It sounds like you want to change it to three hits for MAA and two for knight? :?

Not Necessarily three for the MAA, but perhaps increase effectiveness against knights? In reality I just wanted to see the armor piercing spike actually put to use.

• @Reterence:

@ReMixx:

Two overheads kill everything but the knight which requires three. It sounds like you want to change it to three hits for MAA and two for knight? :?

Not Necessarily three for the MAA, but perhaps increase effectiveness against knights? In reality I just wanted to see the armor piercing spike actually put to use.

Well the spike on the end is used in stabs. If you want something more effective against knights, use the polehamburger. Before the CU1 patch, you could two shot knights with two overheads. It was just too powerful. The halberd is strong enough. There is no need to get people angry about it again and nerf it more. :x

• Well the spike on the end is used in stabs. If you want something more effective against knights, use the polehamburger. Before the CU1 patch, you could two shot knights with two overheads. It was just too powerful. The halberd is strong enough. There is no need to get people angry about it again and nerf it more. :x

You misunderstand me. The effectiveness boost is not what I’m looking for. I like the halberd the way it is. I just want the armor piercing spike on the BACK of the weapon put to use. You know, the one opposite the Axe like head? It was used to pull cavalry men off horses and piercing heavy armor. And you can still 2 shot knights with the overhead now as long as you hit them in the head. I just want to see the opposite spiked head put to use.

• While I agree that would be neat, not being able to use the ax blade for overheads would also be kind of sad.

War of the Roses has a system where you can simply turn your weapon around with a button press so you always have the choice which part of your weapon you want to attack with (and you pretty much have to, for example an axeblade wont penetrate plate armor, you have to strike with the spike).

Maybe you could have this in Chivalry, even if it was only for aesthetics and did not alter weapon functionality. However it would feel weird if a weapon still did slash damage if you used the spike…

A system where you had different “stances” for each weapon would be nice, so for example blade forward, spike forward, holding more towards its center… similar to how bastard swords work now probably. Though, this would require a tremendous amount of weapon balance and many “alternative weapon stances” would overlap with other weapons too much, I would guess.

• Maybe the alternate overhead attack could do it. You know, the upswing.

• @ReMixx:

Maybe the alternate overhead attack could do it. You know, the upswing.

Maybe, but I was thinking of it more as the Vanguard equivalent of the poleaxe. It is a very versatile weapon. And personally, I’ve never been a fan of the upswing in general. It’s hard to read but it’s slow and almost always hits the legs, doing almost no damage. I just think putting it on the overhead in general would be best.

• @ReMixx:

Maybe the alternate overhead attack could do it. You know, the upswing.

Isn’t alternate overhead just another overhead but only with different animations and tracers? They would have to add alt-overhead damage amounts and damage types for all other weapons just for this sake and it’s not worth it.

• This is why I said just make it the overhead. Both of the poleaxe’s overhead attacks are blunt from that hammer head on the back. Should the Halberd be able to use all of its unique attributes in combat? It has that armor piercing spike on the back of the head, so lets use it. Use the axe head for swings, pike tip for stabs, and the Armor piercing head for overheads. It makes the most sense. Besides, with that halberd being as slow as it is, it could use a little extra something against knights. The armor piercing head is just the thing. And even if they dont change how much damage it does to knights, I just want to see it put to use. Similar to how I want to see the ricasso of the zweihander used. I would like to see the parts of the weapons that make them unique put to actual use.