Spear type weapon buff(Spear stab/thrust combo)

• The spear is good support weapon of course. But it need a little buff.

No, not damage or speed buff. But giving it the ability for combo

Rolling down your mouse wheel give it a powerful thrust and roll up for quick stab, right?

As it is a weapon that designed to giving in front line to stab enemies. We should be allowed to combo

Like:
    Thrust > Stab > Thrust combo

Stab > Thrust > Stab combo

Of course, you can not combo into swing or from swing because it would be over powered. But stab thrust combo is unique to spear

• Yep combo’ing between thrust and stab or the otherway around would be cool. STAB STAB would be cool too.

• I swear the Spears actually did used to combo at some point before release because I’m pretty sure I was screwing around with the combo times. Animation names also still exist in file 3p_spear_stab02tostab011, 3p_spear_stab011tostab01, 3p_spear_stab021tostab01, 3p_spear_smashtostab01, etc etc. I guess if they chose to re-add them, most of the work already exists.

• @Martin:

I swear the Spears actually did used to combo at some point before release because I’m pretty sure I was screwing around with the combo times. Animation names also still exist in file 3p_spear_stab02tostab011, 3p_spear_stab011tostab01, 3p_spear_stab021tostab01, 3p_spear_smashtostab01, etc etc. I guess if they chose to re-add them, most of the work already exists.

As of now spears are a fantastic weapon for PUG battles, they can be snuck in for support damage. I fear they will be irrelevant in any kind of coordinated gameplay. IMO a STABSTAB or OHSwing would be nice.

• The benefit of the two combos as i see it(mentioned by OP):

-Thrust > stab: You snuck up on someone and want to fit in a stab after the thrust before they turn on you (if they didn’t die from the thrust to the back that is).

-STAB > THRUST: Is a quick stab (could be used to wiff an attack) with a built in “feint” window which might catch the unwary.

• Mmmmm… just imagining that overhead->swing combo with my brandistock. Delicious.

• @dudeface:

Mmmmm… just imagining that overhead->swing combo with my brandistock. Delicious.

Well, as I said.

You can not combo from stab/thrust(overhead) into swing or Swing into stab/thrust(overhead) because it will be too similar to polearm type weapon.

So the thrust(overhead) and stab combo should just unique to spear type.

So I hope Tornbanner put this into consideration for the new Beta test

• I agree with the OP. There should be that kind of combo allowed.
    Also yeah spear could use a slight buff.
    The feints were a bitch to read though. Lets see what it will be like after the next patches.

I rarely play as a van and never the spear, so im as objective as i can be.

• Something really needs to be done about the long forced recovery of Spears. Right now fast or medium speed weapons get a free hit if a spear hits them inside their own range….which is just SO WRONG.

Of course giving Spears combos back would fix that problem.

But if one wanted to keep Spears from doing combos (for whatever reason) then their recovery times could be greatly reduced to achieve a similar effect and keeping them distinct from other weapons.

The last change could go hand in hand with an increased flinch time, which is the other reason why fast weapons get a free hit on spears after being hit.

• I main spears. Love them. I picked them right from the beginning of the game because they’re all solid, clearly not overpowered, not underpowered, i knew the devs wouldnt have to mess with them a lot. Use them in duels, in team matches, great stuff.

They’re AMAZING support weapons, but the nerf to feint thats coming up scares me.

You cant lookdown speedup with them really, they have no combos, all spear has is range and ability to feint.

Especially with feint nerf, spears need a buff. Comboing would be an effective way of buffing them. Do want.

IN ADDITION, why does T1 spear have 97 reach? Seriously, make it 100 lol. ITs only 5 more reach than halberd (which has same reach as brandi) but can’t combo, has a terrible lmb, does less damage, cant instant lookdown overhead.

its rapidly going from solid to underpowered, even in the context of being a support weapon.

• That’s why I want TB to consider putting the stab/thrust combo into the beta.

If it work, keep it. If it is way too op, remove it. :)

• Yes they should be able to combo because combo feint parry is just too strong to not have currently.

• right now basicaly the only good 1v1 tactic that spears have is:
    Run away, jump, 180 stab, repeat

feints are pretty good with it, but the ability to counterattack a spear user is just a tad too great
    would love to see something done with them

• Hm. I don’t do that tactic with the brandistock, but yeah, you get countered so easily it’s sad.
    They’d be better if it was actually possible to maintain some distance without having to 180 and sprint away.

• One issue with the “spears” is that they “cant” overhead attack. I’m using those terms loosely. So spears can stab, stab or slash. This makes them a little predictable compared to other weapons that have the full range of attacks.

I propose a good additional attack would be blunt attack made using the haft of the weapon. Done by holding the spear with hands slightly further then shoulder width apart and holding the weapon parallel to the ground. Then suddenly stepping forward and leaning into the attack whilst thrusting both hands forward. This strong short/medium range attack which is very fast and good for breaking faces.

• @giantyak:

One issue with the “spears” is that they “cant” overhead attack. I’m using those terms loosely. So spears can stab, stab or slash. This makes them a little predictable compared to other weapons that have the full range of attacks.

I propose a good additional attack would be blunt attack made using the haft of the weapon. Done by holding the spear with hands slightly further then shoulder width apart and holding the weapon parallel to the ground. Then suddenly stepping forward and leaning into the attack whilst thrusting both hands forward. This strong short/medium range attack which is very fast and good for breaking faces.

We use “Thrust” for that term. Overhead stab is stronger so we call it thrust

• the problem is if u fight someone that is comboing, most of the time if both hit at the same time you get no time to start back an attack or when u dodge an attack and start one, oups he was comboing and even if ur strike seem to land, u get hit by the combo! yes spears need a combo, it got range and decent dammage but no combo, no real accelerated/decelerated attacks, easily cancelable…

• @dudeface:

Hm. I don’t do that tactic with the brandistock, but yeah, you get countered so easily it’s sad.
    They’d be better if it was actually possible to maintain some distance without having to 180 and sprint away.

That’s a general vanguard issue, not only spears…:/

• Yes, very true. Incredibly frustrating. Seems so pointless to have more range sometimes.

• @dudeface:

Yes, very true. Incredibly frustrating. Seems so pointless to have more range sometimes.

With how fast movement speed is, range is the most irrelevant weapon attribute. They would have to make all classes walking speeds slower and balance it out with an increase in sprint speed, but slightly more time to enter/drop out of sprint.