Spear type weapon buff(Spear stab/thrust combo)

• The combo should save slightly less time than your average combo on another weapon would, since they’re stab combos which don’t flow like regular swings do, but there definitely should be stab combos for spear-type weapons.

Allowable combos should be Stab-Thrust-Stab-Thrust infinitely, Stab-Stab-Thrust-Stab-Stab-Thurst infinitely (maximum of two stabs in a row… combo fails if a third consecutive Stab attempt is made), and Thrust should not be able to combo into another Thrust. Also Horizontals should not be able to participate in combos at all.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Sir.:

Spear is even better in the current beta patch

I’m sorry, Maybe I’m still tired from waking up, but did you just say the spear is BETTER after the patch? No, just no. The two main things about the spear (apart from reach) are feinting and stab dragging, feints, I can live with being nerfed, but I tried the beta and stab dragging? Just doesn’t work. The only thing left good about the spear is it’s length and Ok speed.

Faster frequency of attacks > the current dragging for spears, hands down. It makes what it was designed to do – zoning – even better than it already does.

Wait do you play spear?

The dragging is the most important part of spear use, I’d much rather have that than increased speed.

Like, if i want something fast i’ll use a fork ya dig?

• @JCash:

Wait do you play spear?

The dragging is the most important part of spear use, I’d much rather have that than increased speed.

I play everything.

Drags were nice, but nothing can stab drag now, as far as the beta goes. Frequency of attacks > being able to drag, as far as a zoning support weapon goes.

And fork is so goddamn awful, lack of range, lack of damage; the speed doesn’t make up for it.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@JCash:

Wait do you play spear?

I play everything.

Drags were nice, but nothing can stab drag now, as far as the beta goes. Frequency of attacks > being able to drag, as far as a zoning support weapon goes.

And fork is so goddamn awful, lack of range, lack of damage; the speed doesn’t make up for it.

How many kills do you think you have with spear? How well do you think you play it?

I’ve never seen anyone even in the general proximity of how good i am with a spear. I mean, you think the fork is awful, how good with spears can you be?

You’re a man at arms bro, accept it. Keep your opinions confined to man at arms stuff, or giving the ‘man at arms’ perspective on an issue. You’re actually good at that.

I dont think you realize how accurately dragging spear stabs, plus movement, lets you manipulate the precise timing of your attack. I’d much rather have that than even double spear speed but no drag, no lies.

Also, it leads to the spear stab missing so bloody often. You need to be able to (at least attempt) to drag your spear stab into a dodging m@arms. Its like, full on necessary.

Again, if i want a fast spear i’ll go fork. spear needs its drag.

• @JCash:

You’re a man at arms bro, accept it. Keep your opinions confined to man at arms stuff, or giving the ‘man at arms’ perspective on an issue. You’re actually good at that.

It’s not like you to think people can only be good at one thing. What a pity…

And now I laugh, because everything shouldn’t be able to drag except a spear, which is what you play ;)

• @NoVaLombardia:

@JCash:

It’s not like you to think people can only be good at one thing. What a pity…

And now I laugh, because everything shouldn’t be able to drag except a spear, which is what you play ;)

Spear doesn’t have an overhead capable of dragging. Spear does not have a lmb that is worth anything.

It has feinting, getting nerfd (thank god) and its range (which, compared to other van weps, isnt even all that much more.)

And it has two stabs, one of those two is good to drag with.

So yea, i think it needs to be able to drag that stab. Its not like it has other things.

Can’t even combo, so no combo to parry.

Spear is a unique class of weapon. Sticking to a foolish consistency when variables are different is the absolute height of absurdity.

Aaaaand, i’m not against the ability to drag, just the extremes of OVERHEAD dragging, idk why dragging on stabs for any weapon needs any change at all to be entirely honest.

• As JCash says, drag with stabs should be possible, I feel sort of crippled when I use the spear in the beta patck.

• @Dubjay:

As JCash says, drag with stabs should be possible, I feel sort of crippled when I use the spear in the beta patck.

Cast aside your preconceived notions… bring back the roots. Look at your spear, now back to me, now back at your spear, and back at me again. Notice that weapon in your hands? It is now a giant diamond. Try spearing on a horse.

• Notice that weapon in your hands? It is now a giant diamond. Try spearing on a horse.

Would you mind explaining what the hell you are talking about? That made so little sense that I forgot to eat lunch.

• I replied to a topic in the Ask TBS section about this:

@BobT36:

Simply allow them to combo with certain attacks.

• A single Left to right, into a right to left sweep combo, (slow of course).

• A single Left to right sweep, into a Thrust stab, the one on the overhead (pfft) button.

Makes sense if you could allow it only in that way, as the arms would be in the perfect place to do that with a spear. I don’t think it would be too powerful since the sweeps are pretty slow as they are, it would infact give more fluidity to those attacks, and encourage the sweep to be used more for keeping the enemy at bay.

Just my opinion of course.

• i play vanguard with spear all the time, i’ve found my niche in tribes. i think the spear is already a fantastic weapon - longest reach in the game AND i can stand behind someone who is already fighting and poke at their opponent with virtually no risk of getting hit myself. brilliant!!!
    this is my main weapon and i don’t think it needs buffing at all, i’m happy with it as it is thank you.

• @veganman:

i play vanguard with spear all the time, i’ve found my niche in tribes. i think the spear is already a fantastic weapon - longest reach in the game AND i can stand behind someone who is already fighting and poke at their opponent with virtually no risk of getting hit myself. brilliant!!!
    this is my main weapon and i don’t think it needs buffing at all, i’m happy with it as it is thank you.

I don’t see allowing certain combos to be a flat out “buff”. Moreso a focus on fluidity of combat and varied playstyles. Spear is actually quite restrictive as a weapon at the moment (besides poking). You should be able to do more with a spear than we can now, doesn’t necessarily mean the weapon will be stronger.

• Yes, allow spear to combo is hardly a buff.

I play Vanguard spearman all the time(using standard spear), it is very good as support weapon yes. But the thrust and stab is way too predictable that people can parry them most the time when they see it coming. With combo allowed, I could fake my first stab/thrust by making them miss and then do the follow up second attack fluidly when you opponent think your guard is down.

Having to wait to start another attack aren’t that enjoyable. (As I played with spear personalily in life)

• @EricFong:

Yes, allow spear to combo is hardly a buff.

I play Vanguard spearman all the time(using standard spear), it is very good as support weapon yes. But the thrust and stab is way too predictable that people can parry them most the time when they see it coming. With combo allowed, I could fake my first stab/thrust by making them miss and then do the follow up second attack fluidly when you opponent think your guard is down.

you tell me it’s not a buff, then you go on to describe how it will make it easier for you to attack successfully. in what way is that NOT a buff?
    i always play vanguard and always take the bog standard spear.
    spears are not for dueling. they are, as you said yourself, SUPPORT weapons. 1v1 i get killed lots. when i play as part of a team i get loads of kills (finishing top fairly often) and don’t die very much. sure the spear is easy to parry, the trick is to stab opponents when they are parrying someone else, or attack from a flank. works everytime.
    played properly i think the spear is an absolutely devastating weapon. if you think the spear is not already powerful enough you’re not playing it right imo.
    it’s not broken so please don’t fix it.

• Spear is definitely in a perfect place… ALMOST

the other issue is that Halberd might as well be a spear that can combo; slightly slower, but more damage.

There’s definitely an issue comparing the two.

• in spear vs. halberd, the main thing that helps the spear is that VERY small added range… but it’s honestly too small for the inability to combo. Id say reduce the halberd range just EVER SO SLIGHTLY lower. Then the matchup would be pretty even… range is very important in polearm vs. polearm

• @veganman:

It is merely making it more fluid in combat

• @EricFong:

@veganman:

It is merely making it more fluid in combat

have you read the title at the top of this thread that you started? here it is.

Spear type weapon buff(Spear stab/thrust combo)

pretty sure i can see the word BUFF in there somewhere.LOL
    not really sure about this “fluidity” thing either. can’t combo - but i don’t have too much of a problem rolling my mouse wheel back and forwards to sort of combo when i need to. i just accept no combo as one of the limitations of the weapon. no weapon is perfect. should stop trying to make them all the same.
    if the spear must have a buff, PLEASE make it a rocket launcher spear. i’d really like one of those.

• i vote no. Spears are highly damaging and have insane range. Make combos available and it will be OP as crap

• @vinch:

i vote no. Spears are highly damaging and have insane range. Make combos available and it will be OP as crap

So, how do we fix the halberd then? It’s basically a spear that can combo.