Message to Devs: How Will Steam Workshop Work?

• I was just thinking how awesome it would be if once Steam Workshop comes out you will be able to download custom helmets for your classes. So In that case, will you be the only one being able to see the custom helmet on you? Or will you think of a way so other players see the helmet on you. It seems complicated to do that. All I want to know is how Steam Workshop will work.

Below seems to work the best for people to see other peoples helmets.

Also, do you think you can make Helmet Contestes? Whoever models the helmet that the community/devs like best gets their helmet offically added to the game.

^

• Can you explain how steam workshop works in general?

I am curious to how in general the custom maps will be propagated and the success of the general system.

• I’m not even sure if the Steam Workshop for Chivalry will support custom helmets (not really my department), but I do know that in order for helmet mods you download to be visible to others, they would have to download the helmet mod as well. This really applies to all mods in general; the workshop is just a convenient way to download mods and keep them up to date automatically.

I don’t think there’s really a way to implement what you want aside from the idea of selecting the best user submitted content to be added to the unmodified game, which I think is a pretty cool idea that a lot of games have done well in the past.

• I would think that the servers would need the helmet mods installed too, no? If that is the case, if you join a server, will you automagically download all helmet mods that it has installed?

• Pretty sure the server having the helmet mod would be un-necessary. The server would juts need to be able to handle whatever a client says it has as its helmet and pass it to the other clients. The other clients can then handle loading it up if they have the mod or not.

I have no idea how Steam workshop works though so i could be wrong :)

• @ReMixx:

I would think that the servers would need the helmet mods installed too, no? If that is the case, if you join a server, will you automagically download all helmet mods that it has installed?

Source games and minecraft does that.

• @ReMixx:

I would think that the servers would need the helmet mods installed too, no? If that is the case, if you join a server, will you automagically download all helmet mods that it has installed?

That’s the case for modified servers a la Source, but I don’t think it necessarily is for Steam Workshop items. I know you can download mods for L4D2 that will change models, textures etc. just for you client-side and join any game session, but if you want to host a custom map or campaign only people who have subscribed to it in the workshop can join.

• @SlyGoat:

@ReMixx:

That’s the case for modified servers a la Source, but I don’t think it necessarily is for Steam Workshop items. I know you can download mods for L4D2 that will change models, textures etc. just for you client-side and join any game session, but if you want to host a custom map or campaign only people who have subscribed to it in the workshop can join.

Do you want someone to make a teeny tiny model that you can’t hit? Transparent textures on shields to make them see through (when holding them up)? I think it should be more of a security/integrity thing to limit mods to only be server-side. Like when you join a server, it disables any mods from you that it currently doesn’t have.

• That teeny tiny model wouldn’t do anything to your hitbox, and only you would be able to see it anyway. We may have to make things like first person shield models and walls protected somehow so that it’s not easy for players to cheat with texture modifications.

That is of course assuming you can even put things like that on the Steam Workshop for Chivalry. It may end up just being maps or maps and helmets or something like that; I don’t really know.

• I’m sure you know many source games have the “sv_pure” server option that allows server owners to disable texture mods. If possible, I think this would be the best solution.

I don’t really want to derail this thread but while we’re at it could I ask what kind of control the mod tools will give us? Will we just be able to make cosmetic mods and maps? Or will we be able to code other features (like SourceMod for source games)?

• Like I said, I’m not really sure myself :P We’ve gotta get the SDK itself done before we look at Steam Workshop integration and all that we can do with it.