How are you supposed to counter-attack?

• I’ve been playing this game for maybe 40 hours now, not a long time, but one thing I still have yet to figure out is how counter attacks are supposed to work.

Whenever I get in a duel with someone, regardless of what weapon they’re using, there’s never enough time after a parry to get in a counter-attack. I’ve gone after Zwiehanders and Mauls before using a SoW or other moderate-speed weapons and no matter how many times I’ve tried getting in a CT after a parry, they’re always able to parry me back. I’ve even tried using semi-exploiting tactics like mouse dragging to make my hits contact sooner, but nothing works. I know about feinting but other than tricking your opponent into parrying too early, is there any way to avoid those endless parrying-back-and-forth duels besides getting lucky?

I mention this in chat and people say it’s easy to counter-attack? So what am I missing/what didn’t the training cover?

• @SnakeTheFox:

they’re always able to parry me back

No matter what attack you use, people will always be able to parry you, if you’re looking for an attack where they can’t parry you back then you’re out of luck, unless you get a bow or something…

Only feints, teammates, mistakes or making them run out of stamina and having a fast weapon, will stop constant parry battles

• Yup. There is now way to perform a counterattack as in “a free hit after a parry”.

You must get your opponent to mistime- or misaim his parry (feint, movement, swing dragging, aiming for outward limbs, , the sided, the back etc.)

Same goes for fighting someone with a shield, it is harder to get them to mistime their block (since they can hold it), but they still can misaim it. Though you have the added possibility to stun them with a kick to their raised shield.

If somebody talks about counterattacks in this game, he is referring to giving an attack command while your parry is up and somebody hits your parry. If done correctly, the following attack will start instantly after the parry, skipping the otherwise-applied brief moment of recovery.
    A successful counterattack can not be feinted, however, your opponent will always be able to parry if he reacts quick enough.

• @SnakeTheFox:

I’ve been playing this game for maybe 40 hours now, not a long time, but one thing I still have yet to figure out is how counter attacks are supposed to work.

Hey, I have almost 300 hours and rank 41 and I have not figured it out either :D
    I know the principles but I am able to parry only with a Zweihänder but it seems entirely impossible with any other weapon for some reason.
    They really should put some counter-attack practice in the tutorial because it’s been only 2 or 3 months since I learned it’s actually a feature, not a bug :D

• The counter attack people speak of is the increased speed of attack just after a successful parry. The window to perform it is small, and the attack cannot be feinted. This can still be parried.

There is a bug where sometimes a person can parry->attack so quick that you can’t parry it.

• As you parry queue up an attack. So parry and as the enemy hits your parry scroll wheel up or something. Your guy will combo off the parry. Meaning a faster attack and its harder to see coming.

It can still be parried back but its harder to see coming. And you can always feint.

What I like to do it miss the first attack with either a claymore or sword of war. Any two handed weapon will do but the faster the easier it is. You miss with say a stab and combo into an overhead. The enemy would see you missed the stab and rush towards you. You can almost always hit them as rhetoric almost always wind up for an attack. And the stab over head doesn’t look like you are comboing untill its too late for them.

• @lemonater47:

As you parry queue up an attack. So parry and as the enemy hits your parry scroll wheel up or something. Your guy will combo off the parry. Meaning a faster attack and its harder to see coming.

It can still be parried back but its harder to see coming. And you can always feint.

What I like to do it miss the first attack with either a claymore or sword of war. Any two handed weapon will do but the faster the easier it is. You miss with say a stab and combo into an overhead. The enemy would see you missed the stab and rush towards you. You can almost always hit them as rhetoric almost always wind up for an attack. And the stab over head doesn’t look like you are comboing untill its too late for them.

You can’t feint a proper counter-attack, but it does come out faster.

Also, queueing an attack too early during a parry used to lead to desync animations, but now the other person usually sees a twitch of an animation kind of like a feint while you just see your attack not come out, forcing you to attack again. It’s a bug, but better than desync’d or invisible swings.