Chivalry: Medieval Warefare AND it's community

• Hey guys, let me get one thing out of the way before I go on a potential rant: I play this game A LOT… Pretty much the only game I play now, I have about 230 hours locked into this game and I’m rank 38 in game. So needless to say, I love it… However, I’m really sad to say that recently it has been hard to play with full enjoyment due to the community. My absolute favorite class is the Man at Arms, I run with either the War axe or the Falchion and for that I have been harassed on end in this game the past few weeks. I cannot do what I love to do without being accused of hacking, glitching or bugging. I’ve had people tell me to switch classes/weapons or they’ll vote kick me, I’ve been vote kicked for NO reason other than being at the top of the game’s leaderboard. Is this only happening to me? Is there anyone else in the same boat? I’ve held this post for a long time now and just today an incident has concerned me enough to make a post on the behalf of this game and the long run of it’s community. I’m very curious to hear what EVERYONE else has to say, please hear me out and keep negative comments to yourself. Thanks, Gore

• You should be happy - once you get kicked for being too good you have reached the pinnacle of success.

Sadly I am still working on it and have to votekick myself with reason “Too good obviously a hacker” but noone believes me.

• Maybe you should tone it down and stop being so gung-ho about killing everything. Sometimes, when a server isn’t really providing any challenge for me, I’ll hang back and post myself on archer guard duty, all while kicking them and flailing around spamming the laugh button. Some get into the mood and start laughing too, and we all have a good time.

Personally, I think playing so hard that you make sure you’re always at the top of the board isn’t “real” fun, it’s more just an ego-stroke which sometimes can get confused with fun.

• @2maidens1chalice:

I like your name

• What you are describing is pretty much cyber bullying. “You noob stop using that weapon”, “kick him, he is an asshole”. The shittalk just keeps coming, there is nothing you can do to stop it, just try to ignore it. And of course you have the right to be mad/sad for what they say or do, but just remember why they are so but hurt, because they got their ass owned.

• A lot of game communities have glaring defects. Some have a lot of young kids, some have a lot of terribly angry people. Chivalry has a lot of stupid people. And kids. And angry people. Oh joy.

Yea, you’ll get votekicked for being too good. Or for being an archer when people dont want to deal with projectiles. Or arguing with someone in chat. Or for killing a tker and being mistaken for the tk.

And you’ll even be votekicked randomly for absolutely no reason.

Deal with it, or find a clan to play with, or something. I dont know man, i agree the community is toxic and corrosive. That goes for most games though.

• Well that depends, are you playing dirty? Are you an abuser? Are you a person who spams feint? Do you look down when overhead swinging to land the hit faster?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, I don’t blame the community for being mean to you.

• Sounds like playing on a clan server would suit you best - more server admins around and more challenge.

• @gregcau:

You should be happy - once you get kicked for being too good you have reached the pinnacle of success.

Sadly I am still working on it and have to votekick myself with reason “Too good obviously a hacker” but noone believes me.

Then I must be on the top 10 of pros
    I get regulary kicked in duels (mostly duels)
    Well, of course not regulary, but ive been kicked for about 20 times now. INvested around 70h in duels.
    Reasons are hacking lol. But I can understand that, sometimes bugs happen that I cant tell myself why/how that happened (perfectly fine hits thru block/parry) some animations getting more speed/missing, etc
    Im sure that doesent make me pro. But I’d suggest you try MAA and hatchet/falchion. Some crazy stuff happens

• @bagetti:

Well that depends, are you playing dirty? Are you an abuser? Are you a person who spams feint? Do you look down when overhead swinging to land the hit faster?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, I don’t blame the community for being mean to you.

die in a fire

• @NoVaLombardia:

die in a fire

^^^
    qft

• @gregcau:

You should be happy - once you get kicked for being too good you have reached the pinnacle of success.

You’ll get there! 8-)

• LTS is the best place to get yourself kicked for top scoring I’ve found. People get a lot more irritable when they only have one life.

• I do feel bad for everyone getting kicked for playing well. Especially when lately it’s a struggle to find decent servers.

But whoever uses the falchion against me I will call abuser for everyone knows it’s broken as
    hell…

• I made a post about just this scenario yesterday, getting kicked for no reason or because the other team doesn’t like dying to you.

Honestly I think the only solution is to remove or at least tone back the votekicking system. Make it so only a brief message appears in the chatbox that someone has initiated a vote, and you have to hold tab, hit B to click a yes or no box. This way, many griefers and people who just compulsively vote “yes” (there are a ton) may not be arsed enough to go through that 10~ second process to get you kicked.

Or just remove it entirely and go back to the (I never thought I’d say this…) “good 'ole” server admin/mod system. I used to hate abusive server admins but after facing abusive votekicks on this game far in excess of any I’ve endured elsewhere, I’m ready to go back to a tried and true system.

• http://steamcommunity.com/app/219640/di … 975228694/

You’re not alone. Seems the disregard for challenging the speed hackers and the rotten attitudes most players have are slowly burying this game.

• A lot of shit could simply be avoided if we took a page out of ‘Age of Chivalry’s book’ as the predecessor NEVER had some of the problems this game has had.

1. The addition of the votekick system was a mistake in my eyes. Letting players themselves decide who plays and who doesn’t just led to the system being used for abuse, as opposed to actual grown-up self-management. The last two days for example, I’ve personally seen a votekick every 2 minutes of gametime, and people start to become annoyed at it, they just want to play instead of deal with the ridiculous amounts of bickering in the server.

2. If Teamkilling is the main reason a votekick system was implemented in the first place, we should have just disabled teamkills on Official servers or added a proper system for teamkill management. You do too many team attacks or team kills in a row, the game warns you, kicks you, and if you come back and do it again, the game automatically bans you for a limited time frame. This worked fantastically in Age of Chivalry on the servers that used these systems and just about every other game that employs this system.

3. Servers used anti-cheat plugins to deal with hacking in Age of Chivalry; hacking became extremely rare, only once in a blue moon would you actually see a speedhacker. The developers have attempted to use the unreal anti-speedhack system, but it doesn’t actually work right now. A whole lot more focus needs putting into anti-hack systems, whether it’s moving more actions server-side as opposed to client side, or developing tools which detects and bans speedhackers.

4. Thanks to the Source Engine, we had far better admin management previously. We could issue a permanent ban in game and it would automatically and instantly apply to every single server we had hooked up to the system. We don’t have this in Chivalry. There’s no reason a bit of time couldn’t be taken out to get some real proper admin tools built in, especially one for management of the Official servers because as Mods, we can only ban a Speedhacker from a single server, and it’s impossible for us to chase them around the game. Mods also currently cannot control hacking on privately owned servers, which means we are unable to do anything in those instances, however, prevention is always better than a cure, systems need to be made to automatically deal with it.

• That’s intense

• @Jonystrom:

What you are describing is pretty much cyber bullying.

man up you little chode.

• @Martin:

There’s no reason a bit of time couldn’t be taken out to get some real proper admin tools built in, especially one for management of the Official servers because as Mods, we can only ban a Speedhacker from a single server, and it’s impossible for us to chase them around the game. Mods also currently cannot control hacking on privately owned servers, which means we are unable to do anything in those instances, however, prevention is always better than a cure, systems need to be made to automatically deal with it.

I agree with all you’ve said about votekicking.

You mentioned turning teamkills off, which is obviously a terrible idea and would lead to lmb spam through people. The certain number of team hits + kills = kick does work incredibly well.

Nor should they ever be able to.

Rather than chase people around, couldn’t you just revoke their copy of the game? What about a VAC ban? Most other games just seem able to deal with cheating more effectively.

I honestly think people slightly enhancing their speed, to the point where it gets them kills but isnt noticeable, is extremely common. Prevention would be great.

@Jonystrom:

What you are describing is pretty much cyber bullying.

https://twitter.com/fucktyler/status/285670822264307712