Massive archer hate

• Playing today I hear nothing but hate hate hate any time there is an archer in the game. Between all the dislike, being unable to kick or retaliate, huge delay on weapon switch, laggy movements of characters, and overall weak feeling ranged and melee combat, it just seems like archers have nothing going for them. I don’t think that their special for extra backstab damage is worth it compared to everyone else’s specials, since you rarely get to sneak up on enemies, and stealth shouldn’t be a part of this game at all. I just think that archers are weak compared to everyone else.

Anytime there’s one in the game, they’re an instant target for vanguard charges, and the huge range on their attacks means you either have to make a lucky shot or draw your melee weapon ridiculously early and charge into combat, which makes no sense since they are archers.

Maybe I’m the only one who thinks this, but archers seriously need some kind of buff.

• “Maybe I’m the only one who thinks this, but archers seriously need some kind of buff.”

And become even more hated or reviled?

I don’t think they’re even supposed to be equally viable in random free for all as other classes, due to their non-melee nature, but instead play an important role in team-based missions, especially with proper teamwork and for the defensive team. You also don’t seem to remember that there are other, more powerful bows coming up as soon as the unlocks start working. So shape up that aim! :D

• @catmorbid:

“Maybe I’m the only one who thinks this, but archers seriously need some kind of buff.”

And become even more hated or reviled?

I don’t think they’re even supposed to be equally viable in random free for all as other classes, due to their non-melee nature, but instead play an important role in team-based missions, especially with proper teamwork and for the defensive team. You also don’t seem to remember that there are other, more powerful bows coming up as soon as the unlocks start working. So shape up that aim! :D

Good point. I guess I just feel like I’m always the target as an archer. Other defenders can’t do much when a vanguard charge flies past all of them. I guess that’s just my experience though.

Then again, if this is the ‘middle’ class bow, then I can’t imagine how hard it will be to get kills with the ‘light’ bow.

• I love playing archer, because I can get off some long shots and then still have fun with the shortsword when someone charges me. The only thing that really ticks me off is the weapon switch, I’ve been killed many times because of it not working,

• When Team Objective servers no longer constantly crash you’ll see how potent archers can be in supporting a proper team.

I agree that archer gameplay could use a lot of work to be even close to the level of the melee classes however. I have some ideas about that (as I do about everything :p)

• Breaking into the throne room with the ram on stoneshill is next to impossible with a pair of decent archers raining down on you. Need two great shields either side of the ramming guy to stand a chance.

Speaking of which, the timer on the first objective needs to be increased by a lot. It simply doesn’t factor in how long it takes a bunch of random players to get their shit together and slaughter the peasants.

• @Strudel:

Breaking into the throne room with the ram on stoneshill is next to impossible with a pair of decent archers raining down on you. Need two great shields either side of the ramming guy to stand a chance.

Speaking of which, the timer on the first objective needs to be increased by a lot. It simply doesn’t factor in how long it takes a bunch of random players to get their shit together and slaughter the peasants.

Offense needs more time in general for objective maps. I prefer the offensive bias that AoC had to the huge defensive bias Chivalry has - maps lasted longer and you got to experience more objectives rather than getting shut out on one of them like ramming the gates.

• This thing is what I ment when I wrote this:

@HCJorma:

A great game, great team and great community.
    You have listened the community so far, but when they are asking changing weapon statistics in some way, you should really look into it youself and don’t change it without proper reason. I have seen you devs playing often, so I think you can figure out the balance problems better youself than the community.

Too many games has been spoiled with unreasonable nerfs and buffs.

In my opinion you can’t say anything yet, when we don’t have all of the weapons. Archers are surely not overpowered, and using the class needs skills.
    Stay behind your teammates, have good accuracy and target right guys depending on your weapon. These are just bunch of things I, a newbie, have noticed to help playing as a archer/javeliner.

To all you haters in game: stop that childish crap and concentrate on playing the game.

Edit:
    You were also talking about team objective balance. I think attackers should have more players on their side. The team objective is balanced naturally, no map changes or adding time is needed.

• On the same line of thought during objective missions the attackers should not take the archer. The goal after all is to push a ram. This means that too many archers will leave the regular footmen in a permanent weak position of 3vs1. This doesn’t work.

• I for one love the archer class. Especially the javelin, it is a very good range weapon, and can stab quickly. As for switching to sword, I placed the switch to 2nd weapon as my scroll UP and moved stab to one of my mouse thumbuttons, seems to work great. When I am in melee, I either use the stabbing Jav with kicks, or shortsword with kicks, the shortsword has allowed me to take down heavily armored opponents because of the quick slash times the archer has.

• @johndebeaulieu:

On the same line of thought during objective missions the attackers should not take the archer. The goal after all is to push a ram. This means that too many archers will leave the regular footmen in a permanent weak position of 3vs1. This doesn’t work.

Archers can force defenders into a bad position and make them keep their shields up/watch their backs and in general soften up their forces for your melee to rush in, not to mention killing the enemy archers so that your melee can approach safely. Obviously if 2/3 of your team is archers as you’re describing it won’t work ;)

• Well not 2/3 But because you have to walk quite a bit as the attacker there are usually more defender in general as the attacker get killed as they come.
    It’s just that in-game people seemed to care more about killing everything rather than doing the objective. Like protecting a guy who will push. Maybe it’s just my experience but in most of my games the attacker wins because he has so much time, not because he is really organized.

• @Strudel:

Breaking into the throne room with the ram on stoneshill is next to impossible with a pair of decent archers raining down on you. Need two great shields either side of the ramming guy to stand a chance.

I feel like breaking through with the ram is pretty much impossible whether archers are there or not, the only time I experienced a breakthrough was when 1 attacked and one defended. It would have an hp bar instead of some resetting progress bar.

• @johndebeaulieu:

On the same line of thought during objective missions the attackers should not take the archer. The goal after all is to push a ram. This means that too many archers will leave the regular footmen in a permanent weak position of 3vs1. This doesn’t work.

+1. The only place where I’ve seen archer being useful is in siege map : very rare.

Overall archer get less kill than anyone else : it’s a fact. You judge a class strength by the number of kills it gets on average : archer are pretty weak in all maps.

This game definitively needs balancing, and that is pretty normal since it’s a beta. Knight and vanguard are overpowered :its a fact. It will get fixed and I’m fairly sure Thorn Banner knows about this.

• You’ll get a much more clear idea of how archers are contributing when assists are visible/give points. Kills are not everything. If you can tag the entire enemy team and bring them to 1 hit left and then some greatsword vanguard comes in and cleaves all their heads off at once, nobody can say he contributed more than you.

• @SlyGoat:

You’ll get a much more clear idea of how archers are contributing when assists are visible/give points. Kills are not everything. If you can tag the entire enemy team and bring them to 1 hit left and then some greatsword vanguard comes in and cleaves all their heads off at once, nobody can say he contributed more than you.

Good point about the assist kill.

• I agree, I as an archer feel that something needs to be done about them being dominated no matter how much skill they possess ( mainly the bowmen )… The best archers I ever see have an equal kill death at best…

• Developer

Archers have a steeper learning curve. It is easier at first to do well as the other classes intentionally. However, in a few weeks when archers start to get into the groove you will see them top the scoreboards. I will do some video of myself playing archer perhaps to give you an idea of how effective they can be. Remember that right now we are all noobs and things will change as we settle in.

• 3 things about the archer i dont like:
    1. There is a bug that you make “autoshots” means that you charge the shot and then the archer lets it go without your willing.
    2. That sneak damage bonus is kind of useless because you never sneak up from behind.
    3. I get outrun by Knights even when im not hit. They simply charge after me and kill me.

• @Tibberius:

Archers have a steeper learning curve. It is easier at first to do well as the other classes intentionally. However, in a few weeks when archers start to get into the groove you will see them top the scoreboards. I will do some video of myself playing archer perhaps to give you an idea of how effective they can be. Remember that right now we are all noobs and things will change as we settle in.

I hope your’e right, because I know for now a heavy class is either over powered or has no learning curve because the ease of running into the battle with a giant weapon and clicking that attack button early ( since the swing is so slow ) then just seeing the heads start rolling as you keep mashing that click button is almost too easy compared to what I have to do as an archer to get that same score… I’ve tried it all, obviously shooting people with that wooden thing people seem to call a long bow, even though it sometimes feels like it came from toys are us, and doing all the melee moves I can ( ducking swings, mastering the parry, doing some good combos, and just being quick in general, sometimes even getting a good 4 hits on his heavy armored ass before he goes " oh just one more click hehe " and my head flies off and I scream in pain… … In real life…

• Edit *

However I still do hold hope because all of the classes still have the first weapons… I feel that maybe this problem will be solved when I unlock my Yew War Bow with some fire arrows or something along those lines…