King vs King map!

• Please make this! :D

How I was picturing it would be each team start in their castle/fortress and charge out on an open field to slaughter the enemy team. Since king maps are TO maps, here is how I pictured the fight to go.

First objective. Slaughter the infantry.
    In this objective only man at arms can be selected on both sides.

Second objective. Break trough the shield walls.
    Now MAA & Knights are open for selection.

Third objective. Defend against rain of arrows.
    MAA, knights & Archers ready to go.

Fourth objective. Stop the berserker stampede.
    All classes open.

Fifth objective. Kill the enemy king.
    The top score player on each team spawn as kings and the battle is on…

I was thinking it might be needed to cut down objective to 3 and have MMA&archer at first and VG&knight at second for balance, but not quite sure.

Also there prob should be a limit on how many can be what after the first round to 50/50 33/33/33 25/25/25/25.

Thoughts?

• I don’t really like the idea of forced class selection, and that would entail lot of additional scripting to be done for what is essentially an ancillary game mode.

Still, the idea of KvK is good enough that I think a simple mode wouldn’t be too hard. Say, both sides start with a base, a king is randomly selected at the start of a match for each team. The goal is similar to “Capture the flag” except in this case it’s the first team to reach an arbitrary amount of king kills (say, 5) wins. Maybe turn respawns off and make the rounds similar to LTS, except it’s “Last King Standing”, and as long as your king lives you can respawn? Even I’m unsure about that last bit, myself. Would need to be beta tested to find balance/fun levels.

After each death of the king, a new king is selected based on score. However a player can only be king once per match, so if A player is chosen first (at random), then dies and is replaced by the top-scoring B player, if B player dies the next highest scoring player C is chosen even if B is still the highest.

The only drawback to this mode is that it would require map balance reworks (or entirely new maps), but what problem can’t be solved by a few conveniently placed statics like palisade walls and spike fences? Though it’s my understanding that map editing in UDK is actually pretty efficient, might be possible to scrap together an example map with two castles and then let the community make some more after the tools are released.

• @SnakeTheFox:

I don’t really like the idea of forced class selection

+1
    But a king vs king mode would be interesting.

• Yeah, like posters above me said, no forced classes. But a King vs King mode would be awesome.

I don’t think, though, that there should be two castles for the opposing teams. Sounds like a huge map and it would only lead to the King hiding somewhere.

Another thing that would be cool, imagine both armies marching toward eachother, with the king in front, and beside him there is a standardbearer. A Vanguard or something that carries the flag. Although the animation for holding the flag should be different so that it looks more like a standardbearer in the frontline and less like he stole the flag and running from the police with it.

Edit: Something like this from an awesome Medieval II: Total War mod I love.

A third thing I just thought of as well, what about there being a bonus for being near the king or the standardbearer? Like a slight increase in health or stamina to imitate the morale and zeal you get from them. If the standardbearer dies, that bonus would disappear until someone else picks up the flag again. It’s important to keep your banner high!

• The whole idea behind forced classes at the beginning was to prompt skill vs skill and having the highest scoring player become king at fifth objective. I also think it would be quite funny to have 32 man at arms clashing together in a dodge fest.

• @SavageBeatings:

Another thing that would be cool, imagine both armies marching toward eachother, with the king in front, and beside him there is a standardbearer. A Vanguard or something that carries the flag. Although the animation for holding the flag should be different so that it looks more like a standardbearer in the frontline and less like he stole the flag and running from the police with it.

The problem with this idea is that the team that wins will almost inevitably still be the one whose king hides in the back the best. And any methods that “force” the king into the fight would, again, require considerable amounts of script to be written just for that purpose.

It’s sorta the point that the king will try to have himself defended inside his castle. This would essentially just be a “VIP” game mode where each teams goal is to kill the other king first. The king’s health could of course be lowered from his TO values to make it easier to take him out, which would negate a lot of the benefits of hiding in a corner and force him to relocate when an area is overrun.

• @SnakeTheFox:

@SavageBeatings:

The problem with this idea is that the team that wins will almost inevitably still be the one whose king hides in the back the best. And any methods that “force” the king into the fight would, again, require considerable amounts of script to be written just for that purpose.

It’s sorta the point that the king will try to have himself defended inside his castle. This would essentially just be a “VIP” game mode where each teams goal is to kill the other king first. The king’s health could of course be lowered from his TO values to make it easier to take him out, which would negate a lot of the benefits of hiding in a corner and force him to relocate when an area is overrun.

The way i pictured it, with each team having a fortress and an open field to fight on, when the fifth objective start, everybody spawns outside the fortress and the gate inside it gets cut off. similar to the way citadel works, only reverse I guess, lol.

• i like the idea of epic king vs king map

• We demand an epic battle!

• Nah, just make it very simple: One King on each side, opposite team tries to kill other king.

• @Aemil:

Nah, just make it very simple: One King on each side, opposite team tries to kill other king.

Which leads to…… both kings hiding some place safe or just running around and not actually leading their armies? It’d be like a normal King Hunt, just that both teams will be cautious this time.

• Yeah, it makes sense for the king to hide somewhere safe though, doesn’t it?

• @Aemil:

Yeah, it makes sense for the king to hide somewhere safe though, doesn’t it?

Which… makes the game mode “King vs. King” obsolete? There won’t be no King vs King. There will be Team Deathmatch untill everyone on one side is dead and the hiding king is left to be hunted down, if they haven’t already hunted him down. It’s more like… “Hide the King” or “Protect the King” rather than “King vs. King” which implies two armies on an open battlefield with their kings leading them into battle. Also, being King would be boring if all you should do to win is hiding for the entire match.

• Make a map that gets smaller with time like the portcullis closing in Arena or maybe a sinking ship or rising lava or something forcing the teams together.

Simply having the player with the best score be king is a nice balance since a defensive king will lose his crown next round.

• @SavageBeatings:

@Aemil:

Yeah, it makes sense for the king to hide somewhere safe though, doesn’t it?

Which… makes the game mode “King vs. King” obsolete? There won’t be no King vs King. There will be Team Deathmatch untill everyone on one side is dead and the hiding king is left to be hunted down, if they haven’t already hunted him down. It’s more like… “Hide the King” or “Protect the King” rather than “King vs. King” which implies two armies on an open battlefield with their kings leading them into battle. Also, being King would be boring if all you should do to win is hiding for the entire match.

Oh, I have the two types of gamemodes mixed up.

• @Aemil:

Nah, just make it very simple: One King on each side, opposite team tries to kill other king.

beat me to it, this is what i would want/do. Keep your king alive whilst trying to kill the other king. I think capture the flag mode could be modified to do this eh? Fuck the flag, have a king there controlled by a player. Only thing is… how do you decide who gets to be king? Is there a preliminary round first to decide that?

Have a warm up round with each team in a boxed location… last man standing in the team is the king.