Serious hacker on many servers tonight

• The steam mod group doesn’t seem to be working (messaging mods is no longer possible), and I don’t know where else to post this, so apologies if it’s in the wrong place.

There’s been a hacker by the name of “me” on many servers tonight, including some of the official ones (he’s currently on Official ToO #35). He’s a teamkiller, but when you try to kick him the vote seems to transfer to another random player instead. So for example, if I try to votekick “me”, it might initiate a vote against “bob123” instead. Since he’s impossible to kick, he keeps teamkilling till everyone abandons the server… then he joins another one and starts over again.

Please, take action on this - he made Chivalry unplayable for me tonight as he trashed almost every server I was on.

• @DifferentFrogs:

The steam mod group doesn’t seem to be working (messaging mods is no longer possible), and I don’t know where else to post this, so apologies if it’s in the wrong place.

There’s been a hacker by the name of “me” on many servers tonight, including some of the official ones (he’s currently on Official ToO #35). He’s a teamkiller, but when you try to kick him the vote seems to transfer to another random player instead. So for example, if I try to votekick “me”, it might initiate a vote against “bob123” instead. Since he’s impossible to kick, he keeps teamkilling till everyone abandons the server… then he joins another one and starts over again.

Please, take action on this - he made Chivalry unplayable for me tonight as he trashed almost every server I was on.

Just add them to your friends list next time, most of them will accept it and delete you afterwards.

• Global Moderator

A hack making you unkickable.

Oh dear.

• Add me as a friend next time.

• First fix the game.
    That way that “kick-bug” thing would happen at all.
    Was about to get kicked on FFA because I killed 1 (was duel server back then, I didnt know it)
    But somehow it chose wrong people

• I’ve seen this guy before. His ‘hack’ doesn’t fool the console command for vote kicking though, so use the VoteKick [PlayerName] command to kick him.

• @DrDiamond6:

I’ve seen this guy before. His ‘hack’ doesn’t fool the console command for vote kicking though, so use the VoteKick [PlayerName] command to kick him.

That’s great to know, I’ll keep that in mind for next time. Thanks!

• @ragnarok:

First fix the game.
    That way that “kick-bug” thing would happen at all.

no shit, that is why its called a BUG

• I encountered a teamkiller called “me” last night but he was easy enough to kick. I play on oceanic servers though so im assuming it was not him……

• @K7:

Just add them to your friends list next time, most of them will accept it and delete you afterwards.

What an absolutely terrible way of handling game moderation, lololol.

• @JCash:

@K7:

And what alternative would you propose?

Not everyone wants to make their steam profiles public, also the link to PM is only displayed in some circumstances. We have a mod group so people know who we are, (this is also purely voluntary).

The “accept and delete after” thing means that we’re open to people adding us temporarily so we can communicate while we resolve the problem. Not just we’d accept and delete them without doing anything…

Should Torn Banner have an entire staffed department, with an in-game report system like Blizzard?

• @BobT36:

@JCash:

@K7:

And what alternative would you propose?

Not everyone wants to make their steam profiles public, also the link to PM is only displayed in some circumstances. We have a mod group so people know who we are, (this is also purely voluntary).

The “accept and delete after” thing means that we’re open to people adding us temporarily so we can communicate while we resolve the problem. Not just we’d accept and delete them without doing anything…

Should Torn Banner have an entire staffed department, with an in-game report system like Blizzard?

Ok, where to begin. Firstly, i don’t need to have a better alternative on hand to recognize that that is a terrible system. And, in addition, once you get a mod to the server they can’t really do anything. Ban them from one server, they hop to another.

If you don’t want your steam profile public so people can easily access you, don’t be a community moderator. Although, again, handling game moderation via steam is foolish, there is no in game moderation tools at all? No report option? No ability to ban across all official servers? No anti hack protection in the first place?

Granted doing it via steam is probably the best method possible, but if not for poor design more would be possible.

As for it being voluntary, who would not volunteer for unlimited power with zero accountability? I’m actually somewhat surprised i’ve never heard of moderation powers being abused. Pleasantly surprised to be sure.

Blizzard has millions of players. Torn banner has like what, 500? Maybe like, pay one single human minimum wage, add a /report type feature, and have them handle everything.

with the votekick function, and the fact that mods can’t ban across servers, they’re really like, not like, not like, whats the word, very important or helpful. its a pain to call them in, and slow.

• It’s called constructive criticism, rather than just grumping. The possible options are either a better alternative, or nothing. And in this case I don’t see how nothing can be better in any way.

I don’t really see why I should have my PERSONAL steam profile fully open to anyone, especially since my main task is moderating the forum. The Official server admin stuff is just a side thing given to us to allow us to help out, if we want to. Also I have my profile on fully private, even to friends, (this is because I don’t like the ability of anyone to see friends of friends. If they gave better privacy options, I would open it up a bit). I believe the inability to PM from the mod group is due to the size of the group or something, I forget the condition that causes it to be disabled, either ways it is out of our control. Temporarily adding us while we deal with the problem suffices for now.

As to the method of moderation I agree that it isn’t perfect, however it is adequate enough for what it needs to do. I’m not sure what in-game moderation tools there should be… Admins can kick and ban users, and cancel ongoing votekicks. Banning across all official servers is possible as there is a global banlist (that private server operators can opt in to as well!). The server that deals with it is down at the moment, but this functionality does exist. Better anti-hack protection for the game is a work in progress I believe.

You glamorise this role quite a lot there… My typical day consists of getting home from work late in the evening, cruising the forums a bit, moving a couple of topics in the relevant section, banning a spambot or two, checking the mod queue and editing a bit of abusive swearing, etc. Maybe at the weekend I’ll have a blast on some games, possibly even Chiv! and play on an Official Server (unless I’m trolling Remixx or trying to kick Kimi off a cliff). In that time I may have to cancel a votekick or two and warn a couple of people if they’re being abusive. I’ve never had to actually ban anyone, and have kicked a total of about two users. Not exactly unlimited power heh, and as to accountability, mods are chosen for their judgement skills and if any one of us was abusing the system by banning people left and right, the abilities would be removed easily enough…

Not really that fantastic, especially when it takes up personal time of where there is quite little available already. Simply doing it to help out with what I feel is a good game made by good people. Hardly any lure for “power”, if anything it’s just extra work.

As to a report function, I really don’t think that’s necessary. Not only would it take implementation for a minority of servers (just the Official ones), it’s also pointless without having people there to check and deal with the report. (We kinda already do that, just in a different fashion). It would quickly get clogged up with accusations of hacking by anyone who’s died to another, or screaming about been teamkilled once accidentally etc. I also don’t think it’s appropriate for the size and style of this game. MMO’s have solid reporting functionality and a team of GMs because players are invested in that server and can’t play at all if they’re having trouble, with Chiv no-ones invested in a specific server or loses anything in the long term. Without a dedicated, always-online team of staff, any “report” functionality would be after the fact, and therefore only be useful for hacking reports etc.

Torn Banner have also given server ops and users a range of tools to help define their playing experience, kicking/banning, votekicking, muting (text and voice), turning chat off altogether etc.

So yes agreed it isn’t the best, but it’s better than nothing. Either ways though Torn Banner are in no way required to give anyone admin support for official servers, or even have official servers at all, this is simply to help out a bit. I agree though that tools and functionality do need some work, better ability to global ban, more options for warning users than outright kicking, ability for admins to join full servers etc. Hopefully such will be worked on.

(May be a bit tl;dr there, been a long day).

• The steam mod group was something we decided to do as mods to help out the community a wee bit more. There is no perfect solution right now, but we did this to take private time out of our day to help out the community more. The mods are strictly volunteers and they do NOT have to do this. Keep in mind that the moderators role is to moderate these forums. Everything else right now is a bonus. So let’s applaud them for going that extra mile when they really don’t need to.

There are things that are being worked on to make it easier for everyone and I appreciate the feedback and suggestions. There are a lot of things I’m sure we’d all like implemented, but things are not always feasible. We will do our best to makes things easier for the both of us.

In the meantime, play the game and have a good time. We’ll work on all the other stuff.

Thanks.

• "It’s called constructive criticism, rather than just grumping. "

I’m sure you see all the obvious philosophical issues with that statement.

It is only out of your control because the game’s moderation takes place via steam. This is just face value basic issue #gamesdon’tdothat type stuff. The game moderation. Happens. Through steam. Like wut. Srrsly, wut?

“As to the method of moderation I agree that it isn’t perfect,”

Thank you for agreeing with me.

“Better anti-hack protection for the game is a work in progress I believe.”

That has literally been said since day 1, and today months after launch we have a dude going around crashing servers and absolutely nothing by way of hack protection. Do a search on all the threads relating to hax there has beenz.

“You glamorise this role quite a lot there”

No i didn’t. At all really.

I can tell by the wording of your post (you use a lot of personal pronouns) that you took my post as a direct attack on you. It wasnt.

" mods are chosen for their judgement skills"

I actually know some of the people chosen as mods, dont throw out lines that are so easy to argue with.

“Not really that fantastic, especially when it takes up personal time of where there is quite little available already.”

As i said, maybe TB needs to find people with more time to devote to moderation.

“As…ect.” is almost entirely correct.

“So yes agreed it isn’t the best” thank you for agreeing with me.

“but it’s better than nothing.”

I’ve literally never seen an admin do anything helpful, in terms of banning hackers. Did ah, that dude, REalk Talk get banned yet? Not saying you don’t, not de-valuing your contributions. I just have not witnessed them.

"Either ways though Torn Banner are in no way required to give anyone admin support for official servers, or even have official servers at all, this is simply to help out a bit. "

“The mods are strictly volunteers and they do NOT have to do this. Keep in mind that the moderators role is to moderate these forums. Everything else right now is a bonus. So let’s applaud them for going that extra mile when they really don’t need to.”

That is a bit of ah, self serving interpretation of the facts, not entirely accurate, and you know that to be true.

" I agree though that tools and functionality do need some work, " Thank you for agreeing with me.

• I believe RealTalk (DickFondler?) has been on the global banlist for quite a while. (I’m sick of hearing his name too). Problem is like I said the server is down at the moment that deals with the global banlist, so unfortunately they’re free to run around being arses again. I don’t have details on the status of getting that back sorted, hopefully it’s soon though so again they’re banned from all official servers, and private ones that opt in to it.

As to the out of our control statement, that was about the PM Function in the mod group being disabled (without needing to add as a friend). That’s something to do with how Steam groups work I believe. People can contact us on here too. Either ways though I’ve never personally played any non-MMO game that actually has an in-game report system for anything like that, it is usually dealt with by clientside tools by the players themselves, (as with here). Again having a reporting system means that there must be someone online at all times to monitor it, else it is pointless and no different than we have now, (besides it being more readily available on that minority of servers, which again would be polluted by false claims).

Not really an attack on me personally but, like we said this is just volunteer stuff, helping out where we can with our personal time. Torn Banner really isn’t required to do anything of the sort, (Of course it would be stupid not to have official dedicated servers and no-one with admin power on them though). I don’t see a problem with having people help out where we can, every little helps as they say. And yes, we agreed to be forum mods, admin power given to us for the official servers is completely secondary and just to allow us to help out a bit extra, when we can / want to. It could have easily just been left where only the devs have admin on the officials.

The moderation here was never intended to fix all problems, just some of them, and be better than nothing. I see it as a bit much to expect a full-time dedicated team of staff and robust reporting systems and such in a brand new studio’s first game. Heck when they first made it, they had no idea whether it would even be popular. I would however expect tighter security and a solid range of tools and options for admins to protect / manage their servers in any future projects though, now that the team has this knowledge to go on.

I understand it’s personal experience on whether anyone sees what we do or not. Really though it’s better if people don’t, and aren’t impacted by the nobbers around, and can get on with having fun. Like I said I’ve personally never had to ban anyone as those in the games I’ve played (99% on official servers) have not required it, only a kick or two, and I’m fine with that! Means things were going well. I do know some of the other mods have had to deal with incidents though that required banning (even global) and have done so. We even have a thread for monitoring / reporting / dealing with problem users and hackers in our mod forums, so notice is being taken.

Hopefully the Server with the Global Banlist stuff will be sorted soon and the majority of the problem users will disappear from the servers that use it again.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.