A few questions from a returning player

• It’s been a while since I’ve played, and I strive to improve my play, but there are a few things I don’t understand and I’m not sure if it’s functioning as intended or if I’m missing something. I glanced through this subsection briefly but I’ll just cover most everything even if there’s overlap in other threads.

1. I seem to have an issue where people using one handed weapons and attacking me from point blank range penetrates parries. Initially it was my assumption that I would need to adjust my parry aim less centered seeing as how the strike would more likely be coming from my peripheral angles at such a range, but there are times where I seem to get locked into an endless barrage of swings from one handed weapons up close and no matter where I aim it seems to not work. I actually sat down and tested it and quite honestly I’m not seeing any rhyme or reason to parrying in those circumstances, and I seem to have no issues parrying strikes from larger 2 handed weapons in the same circumstances. Is there something I’m missing or is this element glitched? Was it always like this.

2. In my experience, I’ve had even worse luck blocking with actual shields than with parries. I had initially assumed it was due to the shield obstructing my view, and the swing that struck me may have come at an unprotected angle while my vision was obscured, but in practice it just seems to be entirely inconsistent for me, and may fall under the previous aforementioned issue, I’m not sure. It’s remarkably odd as there are times when I’m fighting a shielded enemy with a partner, and I’ll be to his side swinging at a clearly exposed part of his body only to find my strike blocked.

3. Branching a little from the second issue, I’ve noticed some people crouching in tandem with a shield while facing upward, and that combination seems to block strikes from nearly every angle for some reason? I haven’t had much opportunity to test this but I very frequently have seen this against duel opponents and they often won’t even turn to face me while using this tactic and it still warrants a block or parry. Not sure if this is intended or if I’m just imagining things.

4. I’m having difficulty fighting against shielded users in general actually. This wouldn’t so much fall under perceived glitch so much as my inability to think of a good strategy against many shield users. When I fight shield users the most common strategy I come up against is simply holding up your shield indefinitely until you land a strike against their shield, and they respond with a remarkably fast stab attack which is either a normal stab or mixed up with a feint. If you’re not a shield user you’re basically placed into a 50/50 coin toss scenario to my knowledge.

This strategy has led me to great frustration, and I’ve been searching for good strategies to use against shield users but have come up fairly short. Resulting in simply always carrying a one handed weapon and shield with me against such foes, and abandoning Vanguard in favor of Knight entirely due to how helpless I feel against shielded users with a two handed weapon. The best offensive strategy I can think of using against turtley shield users is to equip a shield and use the shield bash to break their block and score a free hit (I thought kick broke blocks for a while but from what I’ve tried it either doesn’t break block long enough for a free hit, or it’s so telegraphed that people let their guard down in almost all cases), however the range and time required to execute a shield bash is so short and tedious that simply backpedaling can avoid it in any circumstance, and the penalty is that you’re left entirely open for a counterattack (with no mobility during the move), as well as the added penalty of draining stamina. At the end of the day I’ve seen no real reasonable strategy that can be employed against shield users. Insult to injury the blunt type weapons that can be used in tandem with them are quite fast and require a comparable amount of swings to two handed weapons, which are in contrast far riskier and more difficult to land swings.

I digress. These are my observations, feel free to weigh in.

• 1. Lag issues, the game trusts the attacker
    2. Same with 1.
    3. Crouching block and leaning back blocks both overhand and stabs, also overhand takes longer to get to you
    4. Running jump kick them, kicks now stun you if you have your shield up, similar to being hit without stamina

• Thank you. Is it all just lag? The first two I mean.

• @holdenmcclure:

Thank you. Is it all just lag? The first two I mean.

Yup
    If you get a friend and place yourselves in the same exact position you will find the attack completely blockable

• 4. It’s all about dancing and poking. Pull off crazy maneuvers with your feet and get around their shields, or you could just stay out of their range and poke them when the opportunity arises. :D

• @Matti:

4. It’s all about dancing and poking. Pull off crazy maneuvers with your feet and get around their shields, or you could just stay out of their range and poke them when the opportunity arises. :D

“Poke”

(with Norse sword if I’m a knight or war axe if I’m vangaurd)

• @Sir_Henric:

@Matti:

4. It’s all about dancing and poking. Pull off crazy maneuvers with your feet and get around their shields, or you could just stay out of their range and poke them when the opportunity arises. :D

“Poke”

Norse?
    Not Holy Water Sprinkler?
    Do you even poke?

• I like poking when the opportunity arises.

Puns aside, with any weapon i rely on distance and positioning first, timing second, weapon placement third(as in getting the poke to reach around…the shield or parry).

• @BB:

@Sir_Henric:

@Matti:

“Poke”

Norse?
    Do you even poke?

don’t forget shortsword!

• @BB:

Norse?
    Do you even poke?

That is actually the best poking weapon ever in existence.

• 4. Just kick em. Kick em hard!

Also, I think there are improvements to be made to the blocking/parrying in the next patch.