The speed of competitive players

• It seems like almost every time I fight a competitive player (i.e. a high level clan player), their weapons seem to move with crazy speed. I mean, I was fighting a rank 42 knight in a duel server wielding the same weapon as me (Messer) and his strikes were like goddamn lightning bolts. I beat him 2-0 once, but the other two times we fought he absolutely crushed me. And I’m not talking about the infamous instant overhead, I don’t really see competitive players using that “exploit”. I mean the actual swings and overheads seem to move with astonishing speed.

NO. STOP. I AM NOT ACCUSING COMPETITIVE PLAYERS OF HACKING

I’m just curious as to what the hell they could be doing that makes their swings seem so appallingly quick. Is it a crazy high sensitivity? Some other mysterious trick I don’t know about?

Has anyone else had this experience?

• A lot of the time its

• a combo off the parry
    • lookdown overhead
    • mouse dragging.

• @gregcau:

A lot of the time its

• a combo off the parry
    • lookdown overhead
    • mouse dragging.

Parry-stabs sure are fast as hell, and I know that lookdown overheads and mousedragging work wonders. I use all of those things myself.

The reason why I thought of their mouse sensitivity is because their lookdowns and mousedragging seem to make them faster than me, as I play with a pretty low sensitivity. I just can’t hit anything if I have my sens high.

• Lol all competitive players are hackers, get with the times bro.

• @Goatamon:

@gregcau:

A lot of the time its

• a combo off the parry
    • lookdown overhead
    • mouse dragging.

Parry-stabs sure are fast as hell, and I know that lookdown overheads and mousedragging work wonders. I use all of those things myself.

The reason why I thought of their mouse sensitivity is because their lookdowns and mousedragging seem to make them faster than me, as I play with a pretty low sensitivity. I just can’t hit anything if I have my sens high.

There’s your problem. You should try increasing the mouse sense as much as you can. take it little by little. I had to start out with pretty low sense as well, now im up to 45 or so I think.

• @Hitom:

@Goatamon:

@gregcau:

A lot of the time its

• a combo off the parry
    • lookdown overhead
    • mouse dragging.

There’s your problem. You should try increasing the mouse sense as much as you can. take it little by little. I had to start out with pretty low sense as well, now im up to 45 or so I think.

Higher sensitivity does not improve mouse dragging during release, only vertical speed during windup is uncapped and higher sens can make it move faster although not by much, but during release you are capped.

• @Anonymoose:

@Hitom:

@Goatamon:

Higher sensitivity does not improve mouse dragging during release, only vertical speed during windup is uncapped and higher sens can make it move faster although not by much, but during release you are capped.

I find it better to play at 25-30 sensitivity for that reason. You could certainly go lower, and it’s recommended to if you are playing archer, just as long as you can still change directions quickly. It’s vital to be able to take quick glances around in first person or do a 180 attack/block and lower than 20 makes that more difficult.

• @Goatamon:

It seems like almost every time I fight a competitive player (i.e. a high level clan player), their weapons seem to move with crazy speed. I mean, I was fighting a rank 42 knight in a duel server wielding the same weapon as me (Messer) and his strikes were like goddamn lightning bolts. I beat him 2-0 once, but the other two times we fought he absolutely crushed me. And I’m not talking about the infamous instant overhead, I don’t really see competitive players using that “exploit”. I mean the actual swings and overheads seem to move with astonishing speed.

NO. STOP. I AM NOT ACCUSING COMPETITIVE PLAYERS OF HACKING

I’m just curious as to what the hell they could be doing that makes their swings seem so appallingly quick. Is it a crazy high sensitivity? Some other mysterious trick I don’t know about?

Has anyone else had this experience?

Its a combination of a few things:

Using the alt swing bug to send ghost swings at you from the wrong direction
    Doing the look down mouse drag, which is incredibly fast, turning into all his swings

And yea man, possibly a slight speed hack. It is so much more common than most people think. A TON of ‘competitive’ players turn their speed up a bit - who would notice a 5-10% increase? If its not an obvious hack and you call them on it people will just assume you lack skill.

• @JCash:

A TON of ‘competitive’ players turn their speed up a bit - who would notice a 5-10% increase? If its not an obvious hack and you call them on it people will just assume you lack skill.

You like making bold statements with no evidence to back it up.

• @NabsterHax:

@JCash:

A TON of ‘competitive’ players turn their speed up a bit - who would notice a 5-10% increase? If its not an obvious hack and you call them on it people will just assume you lack skill.

lol, add in hack detection/prevention and see how many people that are considered good suddenly become mediocre-average.

And the idea that i’d have enough data to prove my supposition is ludicrous, its just what I’ve noticed. That is my personal experience with the game. Take it or leave it. Maybe your personal experience is different, which you did not actually state. You just said my statement was bold and lacked evidence, for all I know you agree with me.

• There was an issue a while back that was reported in using software to OC your CPU would actually cause your attacks to be physically faster in-game. I’m not sure if this has been fixed or not. It’s possible a lot of players do this without knowing they have an advantage, and it might be small enough that no one can pinpoint it exactly.

That is always a pretty serious problem… hacking in a way that only gives you a slight edge, never enough to be obvious you’re actually hacking but enough to help you out significantly.

It could also be ping related. As far as I am aware, blocking in chivalry favors the attacker. When you activate your parry, before it is valid the packet of information saying you initiated your block has to travel to the server and then to your opponent. Ping is two way, so it’s half your ping + half of your enemy. If you both have 60-70 ping, that’s a good 70 ms from the time you right click to when it actually is effective.

• @JCash:

@NabsterHax:

@JCash:

lol, add in hack detection/prevention and see how many people that are considered good suddenly become mediocre-average.

And see how many mediocre-average players continue complaining about cheats.

• Fact is this game has no security at all. NabsterHax how many Chivalry users you know were banned?

Ah right, people don’t cheat/hack. :? :o

I fully agree with JCash here. I’ve seen it too many times players did great all the time in online gaming only to come at lans and suck. Suddently they had funk playing alive.

• I’ve had a few level 25 or lower players say I am using weapon hacks, but really they just don’t understand counter attacks and combos yet.
    If I alt-slash someone, then run forward while comboing into a stab, they think the stab comes later than it should and don’t realise I’m accelerating it by sprinting.

Out of 200 ish hours of gameplay, I’ve only ever seen one hacker. He had 50ish ping but his swings were instant, hitting me before the wind up had even finished.

• @The:

There was an issue a while back that was reported in using software to OC your CPU would actually cause your attacks to be physically faster in-game. I’m not sure if this has been fixed or not. It’s possible a lot of players do this without knowing they have an advantage, and it might be small enough that no one can pinpoint it exactly.

Unless you still make games from the 1980’s this doesn’t happen anymore. If that’s the case, the bug never existed in the first place.

If this is true, point me to a source.

• @Peacerer:

I fully agree with JCash here. I’ve seen it too many times players did great all the time in online gaming only to come at lans and suck. Suddently they had funk playing alive.

A lot of people cave under pressure at big events. It’s a whole different ballpark.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@The:

There was an issue a while back that was reported in using software to OC your CPU would actually cause your attacks to be physically faster in-game. I’m not sure if this has been fixed or not. It’s possible a lot of players do this without knowing they have an advantage, and it might be small enough that no one can pinpoint it exactly.

Unless you still make games from the 1980’s this doesn’t happen anymore. If that’s the case, the bug never existed in the first place.

If this is true, point me to a source.

God, i love your willful ignorance. Firstly, its a common issue with this engine. Mortal online, which is fundamentally very similar to chivalry, had the same issue. Its documented, look it up.

Also, here is some sourcing

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8983

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9083

• @Peacerer:

Fact is this game has no security at all. NabsterHax how many Chivalry users you know were banned?

This game has VAC wich is enough to get all the public hacks banned. Most of those accusations you make make it sound like theres an ridicoulus amount of speedhackers, in reality its just lowskilled players who make false accusations. Also its very easy to notice when someone is speedhacking even only 5% faster, if you know every mechanics and hittracer in the game you can tell easily, also its horribly obvious when someone constantly desyncs on his swings, wich is the result of using a speedhack. Please just stop with your bullshit propaganda, this game has the least amount of hackers i have encountered in any game, even TF2 had more hackers. Please don’t make this the next BF3.

@Jcash i have seen the video of the supposed “overclock speedhack” and you said it took MONTHS for people to notice it? I would have called him out after seeing him play for 5 seconds, so yeah, if you can’t tell horribly obvious speedhacks don’t claim that everyone else can’t either.

• @CRUSHED:

@Peacerer:

Fact is this game has no security at all. NabsterHax how many Chivalry users you know were banned?

This game has VAC wich is enough to get all the public hacks banned. Most of those accusations you make make it sound like theres an ridicoulus amount of speedhackers, in reality its just lowskilled players who make false accusations. Also its very easy to notice when someone is speedhacking even only 5% faster, if you know every mechanics and hittracer in the game you can tell easily, also its horribly obvious when someone constantly desyncs on his swings, wich is the result of using a speedhack. Please just stop with your bullshit propaganda, this game has the least amount of hackers i have encountered in any game, even TF2 had more hackers.

I hope that was sarcasm. I hate using my old friend Retsnom as an example but

He had his speed increased accidentally for over a month. During that time he scrimmed with other clans, fought his own clan members every day, and went into pub matches. He had a much more than 5% boost.

Took like 2 months of competitive play for someone to record and call him on it. And that was an Overclock error, not speed hacking which can be turned on and off by pressing one button, to limit people detecting it.

That example, just at face value, proves that people are not going to notice and know for sure that someone is speed hacking, especially when you have lag and swingdragging confusing the issue of weapon timing.

And you’re wrong there is no anti cheat or anti hack. At all, where do you get the idea its VAC secured?

• @JCash:

That example, just at face value, proves that people are not going to notice and know for sure that someone is speed hacking, especially when you have lag and swingdragging confusing the issue of weapon timing.

It proves absolutely nothing. I highly highly doubt people didn’t notice for over 2 month with such a massive speed increase, lol. Anyway like i said most of the top clans in europe would instantly call out such a massive speed increase, even public players, because the thing i saw in the video was extremely obvious. Also i didn’t say he speedhacked, just cant be bothered to constantly use “overclock speed hack” or whatever words for that

@JCash:

And you’re wrong there is no anti cheat or anti hack. At all, where do you get the idea its VAC secured?

It says the game is supported by VAC on the steam store page. When you have your own server you can enable VAC. Don’t say im wrong when you dont know jack shit about this. In fact, your beloved Cheat engine is already detected since 3-4 months, lol.