Skill level GONE

• I know this may seem very simple that,its just my problem and only I can pull myself out.Recently my usually match MVP self has been reduced to a quite pathetic bottom lister. I am really thrown off and frustrated with this since I tend to obliterate the Agathans. My question is whether any of you reading this have encountered an issue like this and figured out how to retrain themselves.please help

• I dont need to abuse well i didn’t

• Find a server with actual competent players and practice. Interitus Duels or A-Kill-Ease’s Haus O’ Pain are good for practicing 1v1 with skilled opponents. TO and such is a little harder, but you can usually check clan servers such as Kila’s Thunderdome, Interitus Fight Night, the various Vanquish servers or search Competitive to find Lg’s and Three Hander’s servers.

Obviously they are public servers and clan members aren’t always on, so check the player list before joining to see if it’s better than a regular public server. At the very least these servers will have competitive rules (100% team damage and first person only), so that is still a good step up practice-wise. Honorable mention would go to the NCIX servers, since they are good quality you can often find good players on them.

• Faucheur duels is also good! :O

• @ThatOneVanguard!:

I know this may seem very simple that,its just my problem and only I can pull myself out.Recently my usually match MVP self has been reduced to a quite pathetic bottom lister. I am really thrown off and frustrated with this since I tend to obliterate the Agathans. My question is whether any of you reading this have encountered an issue like this and figured out how to retrain themselves.please help

If you’re mostly playing with bad players you’ll get stomped when you play with good ones. If you’re playing for a short amount of time at a time you’re not giving yourself time to warm up. It takes me like 20 minutes with my main class/loadout before i’m playing at my optimum, and its only after I’ve gotten warmed up that improvements to my style can begin.

Try switching classes or weapons for a bit to give yourself a different perspective. I purposely distract myself while I play - I’ll be listening to an audio book, ted talk, or podcast. It distracts me from playing, and then when i turn it off and devote 100% of my mental resources to the game, I improve.

You also might have gotten complacent and you’re no longer executing behaviors that previously caused you to do well. I noticed after I did a lot of duel mode, i had a tendency to let the opponent hit and damage me so I could land a kill shot. Because in duel mode it is just one fight so it didn’t really matter. But when i brought that way of play to LTS, I started doing worse. Maybe in the past you used to run in zig zags as a matter of instinct even when you couldnt see archers aiming at you, and now you don’t, so they’re pegging you more. Simply forgot to be evasive.

In addition, you can isolate aspects of your gameplay and work to improve them. somtimes i go into a ffa server and just block. I run up to people, into fights, and i just try to block all the attacks and stay alive. Do drills like that which isolate one specific part of your gameplay. I might go into ffa and just run around, or just throw knives, or just oil pot, whatever.

If you normally play in first person try third, turn on swing tracers, practice a bit on decreased or increased speed. Anything to shake you up a bit. Then, once you’ve gone off reservation, return to the normal game/perspective and apply the lessons you’ve learned.

Most importantly, when you play, never zone out and rely on reflex to get you through. Sometimes i’ll find myself just lmb spamming barely paying attention to the game, and I have to focus myself and get my brain thinking about the match at hand. Its the curse of being good enough to coast.

• Record yourself play and study every death you have… what could you have done different? Did you put yourself in a bad position that you didn’t need 2? Did you take an opportunity without seeing the risk (e.g. someone waiting for you to make that move)? Did you not check your surroundings when you should have? Did you attack when you should have blocked? Should you have used a different attack given the angles? Did you simply miss? How are you missing? In front of the target? Behind the target? etc, etc.

The int. guys said it best… take every defeat and learn from it.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Faucheur duels is also good! :O

That’s probably true, just haven’t played there much =p

• when this happens to me i usually go mad about my settings, ping, mouse, even chair. This never helps.
    Its good to take a break and think it all over. It is probable that you are stuck in a fail curcuit, doing one thing over and over again, and you cant see it because it is so usual. E.g. one can always run into fights madly and try to kill all, because he thinks that is the only behaviour worthy of men. Or you might be trying to help your teammates too much.

Also you might be having such a period that you began trying new tricks, new weapons, classes etc, and it complicates your style too much, then you have to take every single little part of your style and work on it till you get it completely. EG - learn the maximum range of weapons - try to block only when its in range. You can concentrate good only on so many things, and to add more and being successful you need the old tricks to get subconcious.

Also you might be in “depression” because you were owned somewhere and feel a bad player. Break also helps it, but you can try to go on some god forgotten server and own it hard.

• I completely understand you, dimon, and have felt the same on several occasions. When you’re used to being pretty good at a game you can often relax into a rhythm which is fine while it works, but can be very frustrating when it stops working.

Sometimes you really have to just focus really hard about everything you’re doing, even for just 1 game, and relearn or learn new tricks. It’s never as hard as learning everything all over again, but you do need to focus for a bit before you can get that rhythm starts to work again.

• THANK YOU ALL,that was some very valuable info and I will put some of it to the test.

• Skill varries. Don’t worry too much about it, unless you find yourself consistently playing worse for several days / weeks on end. Then maybe you changed your mindset or playstyle. But a day or two, it happens. I’ve had really bad days, and the next day I wake up and somehow went SSJ3 overnight. It doesn’t always make sense, just roll with it eh.

As someone else said, you also need to give yourself time to wake up and warm up in-game.

• im really depressed because of this, and came here to find someone else and other are also in the same boat.

for example 4 days ago, i was only at 20 hours in the game and a new player. i was quite shit when i went to a duel server with plenty of hardcore talented players. but after about 10 hours of dueling and practise, i got good enough to be happy. i was beating the guys who beat me constantly.

but for the past 3 days running, i have been complete shit. i keep missing blocks, i keep missing swings… i keep falling for feints, and the maa is harder than ever to beat, and i just feel like complete crap. and i always think… it’s ok stop and try more later you`ll probably kick out of the fail circuit. but it so far has not happened, i just keep getting worse and worse and worse.

i don’t know what the hell to do. but i have played the game ever since buying it for total 40 hours and that was just 1 week ago, so been playing everyday some amount of hours. maybe i just need to stop for a day?

• 1. Take a break
    2. Realize that pro-players, people who played this game for hundreds of hours can always make you look bad if they want to.

• still playing very badly. unable to improve skill, no matter how many hours i try.

i’m 26 years old anyway… i guess my gaming days are dead. i should probably just quit.

• The worse thing you can do is get frustrated if you lose a few times. Don’t worry about it, just relax. It’s only a game at the end of the day.

If you want I can try to help you out, just PM me your steam name.

• @cr4zyjay:

still playing very badly. unable to improve skill, no matter how many hours i try.

i’m 26 years old anyway… i guess my gaming days are dead. i should probably just quit.

I got years on you mate, and I don’t intend to stop! ;)

I was on an old school duel server with you the other day, and you were getting upset then too, but the people you were losing to were mostly really good players…don’t beat yourself up! You haven’t got the benefit of training with a clan mates regularly like most of the people on FFA duel servers, and it’s worth noting that the people who play regularly in that environment are usually the best 1 vs 1 players around, it’s no shame to lose to them.

Keep at it, and you WILL get better, and like I said to you the other night…don’t wiff so much, that was your biggest problem. It’s child’s play for a good player to hit someone who wiffs and goes into recovery.

edit
    Also, take up Radiant’s offer. I’m 5 times the player I was before he gave me a schoolin’.

• i did take his offer and i now know to stop looking at the weapon when someone attacks, i focus more on the shoulders, because it seems they move first slightly before the swing comes.

im now also trying to get better at parry to attack. im also trying to not block in anticipation, but its very hard against fast 1 handers or maa, especially when they are as good as they are on the old duel french server i play on.

i know… i`ll get better, eventually. i am thinking of a clan but im 26 and have to do a job and clean the flat and so on, and cook. i doubt a pro clan with mainly teenager players would have a place for me when i have to do more rl schedules.

however if there is a clan out there with more older players and don’t force you to commit to x hours a day / a night and won’t beat you up over still learning the game, then yeah, certainly interested. have not found one as of yet though ^^.