Overhead Swing glitch!

• I have got about 100 hours in on this game, but I’m going to have to quit playing Chivalry until the instant overhead swing glitch is corrected.

This is a game of strategy, timing, and movement. Turning the most powerful hit that has the slowest swing, into a strike that is as fast/faster than a jab, ruins the balance of the game. I can’t waste more of my time being angry over a glitch in code.

Look down more boy!

Could someone hit me up if/when they fix this? Chivalry is a fun idea!

• @sharpie7:

I have got about 100 hours in on this game, but I’m going to have to quit playing Chivalry until the instant overhead swing glitch is corrected.

This is a game of strategy, timing, and movement. Turning the most powerful hit that has the slowest swing, into a strike that is as fast/faster than a jab, ruins the balance of the game. I can’t waste more of my time being angry over a glitch in code.

Look down more boy!

Could someone hit me up if/when they fix this? Chivalry is a fun idea!

It’s not really a “glitch.” Some may say it a flaw in the design, but many others simply view it as a quirk of the game’s design that can and should be used to your advantage. There are some issues with it that will hopefully be fixed in the next patch, but I’m pretty sure the ability to land an overhead as early as possible in release will not be changed. Well, not any time soon at least.

• Well it is a bit of a glitch. Something that TB didn’t intend to happen in the real time combat system that people figured out after the game went live.

• @Dr.Nick:

Well it is a bit of a glitch. Something that TB didn’t intend to happen in the real time combat system that people figured out after the game went live.

Perhaps TB didn’t intend it to become so prevalent, but logic behind the attack fits in perfectly with what they intended for swing manipulation. Developers intentions always go right out the window in most comp games anyway. This mechanic needs some tweaks (such as y axis speed lock in windup) but generally its pretty easy to see these attacks coming.

• @NabsterHax:

Developers intentions always go right out the window in most comp games anyway. This mechanic needs some tweaks (such as y axis speed lock in windup)

Perfect summary of my thoughts. Thank you. Any word on when the next patch will be released?

• @NabsterHax:

@Dr.Nick:

Well it is a bit of a glitch. Something that TB didn’t intend to happen in the real time combat system that people figured out after the game went live.

Perhaps TB didn’t intend it to become so prevalent, but logic behind the attack fits in perfectly with what they intended for swing manipulation. Developers intentions always go right out the window in most comp games anyway. This mechanic needs some tweaks (such as y axis speed lock in windup) but generally its pretty easy to see these attacks coming.

No it isn’t.

It’s fine if you face an opponent who uses only lookdowns. But it gets waaay harder if they use a mix of lookdowns and lookups. You often have to guess, since if you wait too long and he goes for a lookdown then you get hit.

And when feints are involved it’s complete guesswork.

• @Bloodhead:

All is fair in love and war.

I don’t think every move needs to be telegraphed.

• Anyone saying it ain’t a glitch or something is just wrong.

And claiming that it is predictable is also just plain bs, sorry. You might KNOW the person and their behaviour to abuse this glitch. But if you don’t they will most certainly fuck you up since barely anyone uses it (thank god for that!).

Alright, need an example?
    Take the knight (or fight one) and use the Bearded Axe. Not only is the weapon’s speed acceleration (imo) WAY too high but combining this with the overhead leaning just makes this weapon barely possible to block and completely annuls the whole mechanic.
    Not talking about the massive amount of damage the overhead does.

I really hope the Devs do something against it since it is lame, overpowered and in many situations unpredictable.

• It is a huge issue, was unforeseen by the devs, adds no significant element of skill. Need to be removed.

• The question is how? Because I don’t think anyone knows how :(

The system is not setup like AoC where looking down doesn’t move the body all that much and instead it affects the arms in 3p. In Chiv, it’s all about the waist.

• Someone came up with a possible solution a while ago, it went something like this:

If your weapon hits the ground on an overhead swing, it gets stuck in the ground for 1-2 seconds.

This would be long enough for the victim to make a counterattack. It’s realistic. It means you can’t use lookdown overheads except if you want to finish someone off (and even this you can only do in a 1v1 or you’ll take a free hit). It also adds an extra little dimension of skill, because you have to be careful not to let your weapon get stuck in the ground.

• @Bloodhead:

It’s fine if you face an opponent who uses only lookdowns. But it gets waaay harder if they use a mix of lookdowns and lookups. You often have to guess, since if you wait too long and he goes for a lookdown then you get hit.

Which is why I said it needs tweaks. The problem is that someone can be looking down then immediately whip their mouse up just before release, or vice versa. Locked y-axis speed in windup would fix this, and you can read the speed of the attack.

Feints are a different discussion.

• If your weapon hits the ground on an overhead swing, it gets stuck in the ground for 1-2 seconds.

I can immediately think of 2 issues surrounding that idea:

1. It doesn’t solve the core problem of fast damage dealing and the body leaning in to you.
    2. You can perform perfect lookdown overheads and combo from them without even touching the ground.

• @Martin:

The question is how? Because I don’t think anyone knows how :(

The system is not setup like AoC where looking down doesn’t move the body all that much and instead it affects the arms in 3p. In Chiv, it’s all about the waist.

Change how the articulation works. Limit the angle which the waist can be bent once a swing is initiated. Or remove the ability to lean very far at all.

Lookdowns damage the game more than the feel of the game is helped by the ability to lean down. If you really want to keep the ability in for someone to duck under swings, change it to a one button special move type thing, kind of like kick is. Press it, pop down, then you stand back up.

• @JCash:

@Martin:

Change how the articulation works. Limit the angle which the waist can be bent once a swing is initiated. Or remove the ability to lean very far at all.

Lookdowns damage the game more than the feel of the game is helped by the ability to lean down. If you really want to keep the ability in for someone to duck under swings, change it to a one button special move type thing, kind of like kick is. Press it, pop down, then you stand back up.

I thought you anti-feinters wanted more tricks, not less?

Maybe we should just make Chivalry a rhythm game? You could even get a special sword peripheral that has buttons on the hilt!

• @Martin:

I posted an idea that I think could work in the other thread about leaning overheads. I’ll give you the short version here:

1. Increase the windup period of a swing slightly (while reducing the swing time to keep the animation speed constant) so the weapon doesn’t deal damage until it’s gained a bit of speed and forward momentum.

2. Have attacks be interrupted if they collide with another player during the windup phase. Maybe have it do a small fraction of regular damage from the collision.

3. Have a damage ramp-up for all swings where they start off doing low damage then build up to the maximum value by the middle of the swing.

All three changes combined would more than likely put a complete end to shoving your face in the ground for an extremely fast attack as your weapon would connect while it’s still winding up and suffer a massive damage penalty. Accelerated swings would still be possible, but there would be an actual trade off involved where you need to sacrifice a bit of damage in order to pull off a faster attack. It’s a lot simpler and makes more sense than trying to do things like making your weapon stick in the ground if you hit it during an attack.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.