Archers

• More confusion than anything else, I constantly find in game that people hate archers, with a passion. I don’t know why. Moreso saying they have no skill, and that it’s an easy class.

Most of the time, I find the players saying these things are playing Vanguards, which is funny because all you need to do as a Vanguard is run into clusters and spam LMB to steal your team’s kills. God forbid it’s a free for all, then they steal everyone’s kills.

I don’t really play archer, I do have the veteran’s helmet (I do for all classes though), and I play Javelin a lot, which I don’t really consider an “archer”. Javelin is so heavily unbalanced, but I stuck with it and ended up becoming really good with it.

I still however usually get out shined by players playing the more simpler classes.
    Then people turn around and say archers take no skill and are easy to play. They are undoubtedly the hardest class to play. Think back, if you have gotten all veteran helmets, which class was it the hardest to get the helmet for? In my opinion, it was Archer. You shoot arrows very slowly into the fray, miss most of the time, but when you do hit you only do about 30% damage and then your kill gets stolen. Headshots don’t even kill in one hit. I’ve thrown HEAVY Javelins many times into the skulls of Knights and not killed them. God forbid you use a crossbow and end up missing most of your shots and having to reload.

So I can’t understand the “archers take no skill” claim, because in my opinion, as a seasoned “archer” myself, they take the most skill. I can roll Knight, MAA or Vanguard and get top scoreboard every time (and I do), but that became boring for me 15 levels ago so I just play archers for fun. Feels good when I get a Jav kill.

• Archers have the highest skill ceiling and are very versatile, more so than some of the other classes.

I just think everyone can get a bit weary of archers at times, friendly or otherwise. :)

• I think people just get mad at the fact they might be engaged in a thrilling battle, only to be shot by an Archer in the distance. It can frustrate both teammate, for having his kill stolen, and opposition, for being shot by some cheeky bastard.

With that being said, Archer is much harder to play as you have to remain vigilant in where you attack from, not to get too close etc. Most Archers I see though just run in with the front lines. :?

I do love playing Archer sometimes, taking pot shots at Knights, make them run at me with the “I’m going to kick that Archers arse!” rage, then owning them by comboing the hell out of the dagger. :P

• It’s Official, I’ma staying Javelineer 4the rest of Chivalrys life span.
    8-)
    Time2 change a pic.

• Since when does ‘easy to play’ = ‘easy to get top of the scoreboard’? The two don’t really match.

Don’t delude yourself into thinking archers are some super-high-skill class for pros. Nothing supports that. The real skill in this game comes in melee combat.

And FYI the reason vanguards complain so much about archers is because you have no idea how often you die to archers when you play vanguard. It’s incredibly frustrating.

• @NaTe:

I think people just get mad at the fact they might be engaged in a thrilling battle, only to be shot by an Archer in the distance. It can frustrate both teammate, for having his kill stolen, and opposition, for being shot by some cheeky bastard.

Word.

The fact that a good archer can stay at the sidelines in battle and harass the hell out of the melee guys is rage-inducing, if not downright un-fun. There’s a general attitude that archers are those that get kills without putting themselves at risk, much like the attitude towards snipers in shooters. I’ll always stake out the good archers on the opposing team, not so much to kill them but more to annoy the hell out of them and prevent them from taking us out.

• Global Moderator

Some archers are ninjas.

Close range heavy crossbow users are a pain to go up against. They will be running around with their secondary out then swap to their crossbow fire and swap back to finish you off.

With the javelin your either good at it or your not. No in between.

Many people try playing archer as a sniper. Don’t. They aren’t snipers.

• People who claim archers have no skills are just immature or mad.

The biggest issue I’ve got with archers is when there are 4/12 archers and they all hang out at the spawn trying to snipe people. That’s not helping.

• I can certainly understand the complaint. I’ll admit I make it myself when playing pub games, out of frustration (not in chat, just to myself/teamspeak).

Archers are generally safer than other class (depends on the map, but most of the time they can sit in a nigh on unreachable spot) they can just keep firing and firing. Even if you only hit 1 in 10 arrows, it can be extremely annoying as a melee unit (especially for MAA). Getting flinched by a guy half way across the map (either on your team or theirs) and dying because of it isn’t fun.

Chasing down an archer with a half decent aim isn’t really an option either, and those crossbow guys that just stand there waiting for you to fill their screen… ugh.

Very good archers will completely dominate too. And there’s not much you can do about them but hope that an archer on your team will get him before he gets you. Luckily, most are terrible shots.

• @Wangmaster:

The fact that a good archer can stay at the sidelines in battle and harass the hell out of the melee guys is rage-inducing, if not downright un-fun.

@NabsterHax:

IArchers are generally safer than other class (depends on the map, but most of the time they can sit in a nigh on unreachable spot) they can just keep firing and firing. Even if you only hit 1 in 10 arrows, it can be extremely annoying as a melee unit (especially for MAA).

@bagetti:

The biggest issue I’ve got with archers is when there are 4/12 archers and they all hang out at the spawn trying to snipe people. That’s not helping.

You know those archers you’re complaining about: the ones who are staying safe on the sidelines, or sniping from spawn? Those guys that only hit 1 in 10 arrows? Yeah, those are the archers who’s kill score at the end of a TO is usually about 5.

You can certainly play an archer this way - and stay safe doing so - but you’re going to be almost completely fucking useless. The archers YOU’RE all complaining about are usually no more than 10-20 metres away from the fight, and are dieing almost as much as melee users. (for more detail, see my archery guide in the guides section!)

@Bloodhead:

FYI the reason vanguards complain so much about archers is because you have no idea how often you die to archers when you play vanguard. It’s incredibly frustrating.

Switch to knight. The moment you put on a shield (and use it properly), you’re pretty much invincible to archers. Our chances of hitting you drop to about 1/5th what they would otherwise be. This is a secret most people haven’t figured out yet :P

I do wish Vanguards had the option of shields though - it would balance the classes a bit more.

• I don’t doubt that it takes some skill to play well as Archer, but Lord, it can be infuriating when you see a bunch of your teammates sitting on their ass in TO, completely oblivious to the objective; or when you’re in melee combat and a teammate shoots you in the back; or when you’re playing as Vanguard and half of the enemy defending team is composed of those cowardly bastards (this is especially awful in constrained stages like the throne room in Stoneshill).

• @Mustaklaki:

I don’t really play archer, I do have the veteran’s helmet (I do for all classes though), and I play Javelin a lot, which I don’t really consider an “archer”. Javelin is so heavily unbalanced, but I stuck with it and ended up becoming really good with it.

When people complain about number of archers on our team I say -
    “I am not an archer!”
    “I am a javelineer”

There is less hate towards javelins as you tend to help directly with TO objectives and enemies like to charge at you as opposed to being sniped from a distance.

Short spear all the way.

• Personally, I think javelineer should be separated from archers, because when I think of archers, I’m solely thinking of a bow of some sort.

I don’t know why people think archers are one of the easiest classes. That is so not true. Each class serves a purpose and depending on how you play that class, you can show various skills by using them.

I don’t play archers much, because I am just not good at it xD. I do however, love to play as a javelineer and am working on getting better at it. I get such a thrill from a kill with a jav. Killing someone with an arrow just doesn’t give me that same feeling. But it’s really awesome with a jav.

As for the hate for archers. I really used to hate archers because I’d get killed by them so often haha. But as time went on, I just learned how to dodge better… The worst part is I’m about to kill someone but get hit with an arrow and then whammy, I get killed by the person I was about to kill. So sad :P That’s when I’m like “Grrr archers!” haha.

But all in all, it gets better as you get better as a player. When there are like 5+ archers on the opposing team, it gets out of hand though :P So in that case, my goal is to kill them pesky archers first! XD

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.