Need some advice for helping a friend new to the game

• Title says it all.

Recently a got a friend into the game and am using my own server + bots to give him a crash course on the game. Only problem is i can’t refrain from using the skills i’ve learnt on him so i keep mushing him within 5 seconds of fighting. Any tips of how to help me self not do that ?

• @HackNslash:

Title says it all.

Recently a got a friend into the game and am using my own server + bots to give him a crash course on the game. Only problem is i can’t refrain from using the skills i’ve learnt on him so i keep mushing him within 5 seconds of fighting. Any tips of how to help me self not do that ?

Use the sling.

• @HackNslash:

Title says it all.

Hrm, well you just have to keep trying to control yourself. Or perhaps use a weapon that you aren’t used to. Or even one of the secondary weapons like a short dagger or something. What class is he using?

• Don’t attack. Just block and tell them to kill you!

• @Kimiko:

@HackNslash:

Title says it all.

Hrm, well you just have to keep trying to control yourself. Or perhaps use a weapon that you aren’t used to. Or even one of the secondary weapons like a short dagger or something. What class is he using?

He normally uses vanguard or knight with default gear choices, i honestly tried to use weapons am not used to but he’s that new i just hend up killing him somehow and if i just constantly block were there for a while.

• @HackNslash:

He normally uses vanguard or knight with default gear choices, i honestly tried to use weapons am not used to but he’s that new i just hend up killing him somehow and if i just constantly block were there for a while.

Perhaps teach him how to get around your blocks. Have him jump around and curve around you. You just gotta try. Show him how to feint and perhaps trick you enough to get by you. Or if you have bots in there, just have him practice on those til’ he gets used to the movements.

• @Kimiko:

@HackNslash:

Perhaps teach him how to get around your blocks. Have him jump around and curve around you. You just gotta try. Show him how to feint and perhaps trick you enough to get by you. Or if you have bots in there, just have him practice on those til’ he gets used to the movements.

Yeah, think i’ll go slower now, turn my crash course into a online tutorial for him, he’s using feints sometimes but he cancels them way to early but the whole getting around my attacks is a definite thing i need to teach him.

• I can not give you any tips without knowing a bunch of different things. How good does he want to be? What class/wep does he want to main? How much time can he devote?

If he wants to get viable quickly he wont have time to really unlock a bunch of stuff, he has to main one loadout. I suggest t1 polearm (bar somethingorother), shortsword. Throwing axe

Get him in third person mode, have him activate console, and put in

aoc_drawtracer 1

he will be able to see his swingtracers, showing him the exact range of the weapon and how he can drag to manipulate its swing. Let him try to attack you/bots in third person with bara doing this. Stress to him the importance of the overhead lookdown.

At first just be his practice dummy, let him try to swingdrag around your blocks, tell him no feinting. Once he seems competent at swingdrags (all of this should be in third person) make him go first person to practice HIS blocking.(and forever in the future he should be in first) Again, don’t feint on him, just let him get used to it. Make sure to change your loadout several times to showcase a few different weapons, so he doesnt just getused to one timing/angle of attack. Begin dueling him after that, still no feints.

Now this is the important part, you go his loadout and have him cycle through some different classes / weapons, and you kill him. This will let him see how he should be reacting to the different weapons. Explain to him how countering works in very general terms.

Only after all of that do you incorporate feinting. And the way to do it isnt just to toss it in. Turn down the server speed (aoc_slomo .7) and fight him with feints like that a few times. It really makes them noticeable/easy to read and block. Then put it to normal speed and fight a bit.

After that team up in a FFA server with him and you should be done. Won’t take more than 3 hours.

Have him watch whichever of these is appropriate
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3nc4lZ … ture=watch

1. Make him watch HEXEN’s videos.
    2. Bring him to the forums to learn about all the changes since those videos.
    3. Replace his brain with a random complaint generator. Just string a few words together like “damn archer” “feint” and “hacks” and everyone will think he’s pro.

Otherwise, best advice is to send him to play FFA with real players. It’s too bad there isn’t a noob friendly server.

• I actually am just downloading chivalry, so I don’t have experience with this game specifically. But in MnB I found the best way to teach someone to play was to start with blocking.

Tell them which direction to block at first. Then start to throw in wild-cards once in a while, so that there in an incentive to try to block quickly.You could throw in an attack with footwork, or an attack with a jump, feint attack, combo attack, etc.

After a while you can throw more and more wild-card moves in as your friend gets better. The best way I have found to teach people skills (video-games or IRL) is to get them to master one thing at a time, until it becomes instinctive and natural, then move on to the next thing. If you try to teach them many things at once, they will take much longer to master them, as they are trying to think about too many elements at once, and get confused, or forget what you have taught them.

Keep in mind that it can be boring for your student, so occasionally throw in a real duel once in a while, so they get to utilize their learned skills. Show them a cool advanced move or tactic to look forward to, keep it interesting.

EDIT: This is another thing that isn’t much fun, but you can tell them to go into respawn rooms and only work on footwork and blocking. Don’t try to hit your enemy, just let them swing at you and try to block or out-maneuver them. It can be boring, and you just… die, a LOT…… but again… after a while it becomes instinctual and it makes them a better player in the end.

• @BillDoor:

1. Replace his brain with a random complaint generator. Just string a few words together like “damn archer” “feint” and “hacks” and everyone will think he’s pro.

I thought that was mandatory for everyone upon Chiv installation.

Or at least for forums signup. ;)

• Focus on teaching him one specific aspect of the game at a time. For instance, have him defend your basic (no feint no drag) attacks. Move onto accelerated and delayed attacks after. Then go to faster one handers. Etc etc…

After, have him test his offense against you, teach him the ways to fakeout your opponent by merely using their camera close to their enemy. One thing at a time though, until he has a fair grasp at it.

Keep in mind of course, he doesn’t have to be a Jedi Master after a single session of practice. After giving him some advice and such, just jump into a public game and go for it. Going into the deep end is not a bad way to learn assuming he doesn’t drown.

• Also, if you wanted to teach me at the same time, that would be great =P

• Make sure he visits this section btw: viewforum.php?f=85

Especially Hexen’s thread. :)

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.