Announcing Commune

• Hey guys.

I’m sure there are probably some groups already existing for this though I have not personally heard of them yet. I’ve recently opened a steam group called ‘Commune’ for chivalry which is dedicated to “studying and perfecting our style and skill” in game. Which means studying the game mechanics and swapping tips and tricks with each other.

I’d like to invite anyone who wants to learn and/or share these tips. As well as clan members who are interested in talent scouting for their clan. This group is aimed to create “active fair and honourable competitive play” between players on CMW.

Commune Activities Include:

• Free Training Sessions
    • Fun & Competitive Ladders
    • Active game mechanics discussions (Styles, Loadouts, Etc…)
    • Exploiter/Hacker trackings
    • Clan talent scouting

Prerequisites to join:

• Active Skype account
    • Working microphone
    • Fair player (Not cheating or exploiting the game bugs)
    • Can speak and understand English.
    • Enjoys Mead*

The group is invite only by moderators or myself, but is generally open for everyone (even clan members as this is not a clan). If you’re interested in joining please send me or one of the moderators a message. We will also be forming a list of mentors who are interesting in helping new or experienced players learn specific classes/weapon sets/game tactics/play tricks.

• Im pretty sure I wrote no cheating or exploiting up there… Yeah… I did :)
    So anyone interested in joining this, feel free to add me on steam or leave your steam name here so I could invite you.

• +1

• @bagetti:

@lemonater47:

This will turn into people teaching and learning exploits.

+10,000

I don’t understand this mentality. If the game allows you to do it, it is a legitimate tactic. If using that tactic becomes problematic to the game, it is up to the devs to remove it.

• @JCash:

@bagetti:

@lemonater47:

+10,000

I don’t understand this mentality. If the game allows you to do it, it is a legitimate tactic. If using that tactic becomes problematic to the game, it is up to the devs to remove it.

I agree with you here.
    I think that anything you are able to do legitimately- aka any move,combination,approach,tactic,etc that is not made possible with any external file editing (like using cheat engine or modifying config files) isnt exploiting or cheating.

Some people sadly don’t see that. But to those who do and like to share and learn for more epic fun-time exists this group.

We are also looking for mentors and moderators interested in making this work- so with that and a little bump im calling out everyone interested to add me or one of the group moderators and join us.

• A “Cheat” is something you do to change the game mechanics in your favor.
    An 'Exploit" is something you can do within the game mechanics to create an advantage in your favor. For example - overhead lookdowns were an unintended consequence of the waist pivot point.
    The fact that you can do a thing does not infer approval of that action.

• @BillDoor:

A “Cheat” is something you do to change the game mechanics in your favor.
    An 'Exploit" is something you can do within the game mechanics to create an advantage in your favor. For example - overhead lookdowns were an unintended consequence of the waist pivot point.

+10,000.

Thank you, thank you for this post. People just don’t understand that what they’re doing is exploiting and resort to the ‘if it’s in the game, it’s fine’ mentality. That mentality is WRONG.

• @Bloodhead:

@BillDoor:

A “Cheat” is something you do to change the game mechanics in your favor.

+10,000.

Thank you, thank you for this post. People just don’t understand that what they’re doing is exploiting and resort to the ‘if it’s in the game, it’s fine’ mentality. That mentality is WRONG.

I like how the wikipedia article for exploits anticipates all the arguments that we might be about to have and mentions them in the first paragraph

“An exploit, in video games, is the use of a bug or glitches, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game’s designers.[1] … Exploits have never been classified as a form of cheating; however, the precise determination of what is or is not considered an exploit can be controversial. This debate stems from a number of factors but typically involves the argument that the issues are part of the game and require no changes or external programs to take advantage of them.[2]”

Even if something is an exploit, taking advantage of it is fine because its in the game. If the devs don’t want it taken advantage of they have to change their game so the exploit no longer works. This is not hard to understand. If you play without exploits when in thsi game they’re so common and easy to execute you will never do well, and are obviously not the kind of player the commune is intended for.

• @JCash:

If you play without exploits when in thsi game they’re so common and easy to execute you will never do well, and are obviously not the kind of player the commune is intended for.

Patently untrue. Better to say: “If you do well, you probably are using exploits, intentionally or not, because they are so easy to do within the game.”

• @JCash:

@bagetti:

@lemonater47:

+10,000

You are physically capable of swallowing nettle, why don’t you do it?

• Commune with the clan exploit gods and become a divine pub stomper !

• @gregcau:

Commune with the clan exploit gods and become a divine pub stomper !

+m

• @gregcau:

Commune with the clan exploit gods and become a divine pub stomper !

Hahaha, spot on.

• This needs to be on the front page, all new players NEED to join this group, for the greater good.

• ^

Group is still open for joining, contact me or one of the moderators if you want to join and learn new and interesting play styles.

• I like how you use the term commune, and call it a ‘group’ when essentially it is a clan, but by not using clan buzzwords you’ll attract the rabidly anti clan players who realize you really do need a group to practice with.

luv it

• @JCash:

I like how you use the term commune, and call it a ‘group’ when essentially it is a clan, but by not using clan buzzwords you’ll attract the rabidly anti clan players who realize you really do need a group to practice with.

luv it

To be honest JCash, I have yet to play with most people who joined the commune. I do hope I get a chance to but my main concern is to get new players to join rather than experienced ones. At the moment we are having a majority of experienced players which to me shows that these guys who have formed their own techniques in the game are interested in passing it on in one way or the other. Either by teaching it to new players directly or through competition with less then brand new players.

On either way- The group which is called Commune is not aiming to participate in any matches against other clans or in public ladders. If anything it will hold small improvised competitions between players for the measure of sport and enjoying the game. Which all in all is very good practice for experienced players, and for new players who would like to test their mettle and what they possibly have learnt.

While there are alot of people who seem to be sour at the way things have turned out on this game- to them I say I’m sorry and that perhaps commune is not what they are looking for- However I still hope they would choose to join in and try to pass their philosophy to new players and perhaps come out the victor. In metaphor I think that saying a certain dish is disgusting without at least trying it is not good sportsmanship of anyone. And this portrays to my ambitions in making this group.

I personally have alot of disdain to some techniques used by some members in this group I recognise- but unlike some people I do not complain about it, instead I pester to fight them again and again until I can crack their method and perfect mine- thus gaining the upper hand in the matter. I think it would be a good approach to this game rather than the general ranting I’ve recieved from some people on this thread, and view in the forum in general.

In essence I am trying to create a hub where:
    1. Players could come and compare their play styles and techniques, break them down and reconstruct them, thus perfecting them and also evolving the level of skill, making playing this at a higher or lower level more challenging exciting and interesting.
    2. Clans could inspect each other’s techniques and do the same, only in larger scale which is something I also think could be called Match Tactics. Its very fun!
    3. Clans could recruit potentially skilled players much faster than regularly and new players could have an easier and more fluent medium to reach the clans they might be interested in joining.

I’ve seen certain people I shan’t name here in the group who I did not invite personally, people who like I said I don’t know- who are also considered to be amongst the game’s top players. Seeing this makes me very hopeful and aware that alot of the bad mouthing and generally ‘moaning’ view able in many threads on this forum is not the true face of this community, and that the players who can contribute want to contribute.

Now it only takes new players interested in learning.
    Which is no easy task sadly enough I think since alot of players wear their egos for hats.
    BUT I am very hopeful that people will turn up, new or old- who will pick up the teacher hat and let everyone know they are available and willing to show their tips and secrets to those willing to listen.

So I will not be going anywhere, and anyone who wants to toss some random word and try to cause strife to happen can do that. I’m not focusing on that. I’m focusing on giving a venue for new players to learn to play better if they are inclined to, like I said above.

TLDR

This group is for people who want to get better at playing the game. New or old players.
    I don’t care about whatever bad mouthing anyone wants to give about it- they don’t have to join.
    I will be here for any player who wants to join and learn, as well as many other good players who joined this group.

• Bump for the greater good.

• I do hope I get a chance to but my main concern is to get new players to join rather than experienced ones.

To be honest User I am extremely concerned about what you’re doing.

So as I understand it, you will take new players and (again, as I understand it) your members will teach them whatever combat tricks they have learnt. Inevitably these will involve feints, lookdowns, possibly stuff that’s even worse.

Is it REALLY your intention to teach these things to NEW players? This has a big problem:

Those people will not get ‘good’ at this game. They will be able to kill people, but only because of these cheap mechanics and their core mechanics - blocking, footwork etc - will be extremely bad and will take a lot longer to learn because your members will be encouraging them to take shortcuts.

And what will they do when these mechanics get nerfed?

I’ve seen certain people I shan’t name here in the group who I did not invite personally, people who like I said I don’t know- who are also considered to be amongst the game’s top players

This is what worries me. Do not let them teach exploits to noobs.

Group is still open for joining, contact me or one of the moderators if you want to join and learn new and interesting play styles.

Now this is what I’m really interested about. Could you please elaborate on what you mean when you say ‘new and interesting play styles’?

• I get what your trying to do… i thing it is a good idea… we have to see what its gonna be in the end :)