Feint spam must stop.

• @Bloodhead:

You didn’t swap to your secondary. That’s your mistake.

Wait wait. Sorry. What??

Why on earth should I have swapped to my secondary against a zweihander? That makes literally no sense. Regular 2h weps are fine for fighting zweihanders.

Disagree. I have a much easier time handling vanguards with an MAA + Norse sword or Archer + Dagger, as opposed to a knight with a SoW. When you get in a vanguard’s face with a fast weapon, not even the best can hope to stop you. Obviously it doesn’t work ALL the time, but the best way to beat a vanguard with an annoyingly long weapon is to get close to them, pull something out with 80+ speed, and go to town.

• @Bloodhead:

Outside the player’s control, huh?

No. If I get hit because I misjudged the range on a weapon, that is 100% my error and I will acknowledge that. Similarly, if I fight someone and fall for their feint, I will acknowledge that I should have read it properly (unless it’s a 1h feint, of course - those are guesswork).

I mean the attacking players control. There’s no tricks associated with extending or decreasing the weapons range. It’s a static variable that cannot be changed. You can of course manipulate your character with movement which effects the weapon, but the range stays the same.

@Bloodhead:

But if I die to feint spam I never, ever think to myself ‘I should have attacked’. The reason being that if I had attacked he could quite easily NOT have feinted and I would be left thinking ‘I should have parried’ instead.

Feint to parry. Works wonders once mastered.

@Bloodhead:

Also, that’s not what ad hominem means.

Calling me stupid in order to dismiss what I say. You may want to look that one up my friend ;)

• Disagree. I have a much easier time handling vanguards with an MAA + Norse sword or Archer + Dagger, as opposed to a knight with a SoW. When you get in a vanguard’s face with a fast weapon, not even the best can hope to stop you. Obviously it doesn’t work ALL the time, but the best way to beat a vanguard with an annoyingly long weapon is to get close to them, pull something out with 80+ speed, and go to town.

Okay but that isn’t what I said. I said that 2h weps are FINE for fighting vanguards. The reponse he gave was lazy, unhelpful and useless.

Calling me stupid in order to dismiss what I say. You may want to look that one up my friend

And you may want to look at what I actually said. ad hominem is where my argument would be based around the fact that you are stupid. Which it wasn’t. I was calling you stupid in addition to making my argument. Sorry about that.

• @Bloodhead:

I was calling you stupid in addition to making my argument. Sorry about that.

Oh, so just blatantly breaking the first forum rule. The mods should have no hesitation in your punishment then.

• Here’s one problem with feints:

If you use a shield, there are pros and cons. You can choose to use a shield or not. There’s a tactical decision. Shield doesn’t necessarily beat everything.

If you use feints, there are ONLY pros, no cons. There is no tactical decision. Feints beat everything. This is not good balance.

• Personal attacks aren’t welcome on these forums, and any more will result in time-outs. I’m re-opening the topic as people are still discussing the issue.

• I see that this discussion revolves around 1v1 situations. Even on public TO servers you will after some rounds form a relation to the notable players on the server. That is where the application of feints will not be a no brainer. With my claymore I will faint stab into overhead to get a good start on the overly defensive Knight, vs that aggressive bearded axe man, I will wait for him to miss.

Faint is very easy to do compared to the advantages they give, but you actually will not see them properly used too often on public servers. Even not on servers with average rank 20 +.

I’d argue that if spammed feints was a real problem, they would ruin almost every encounter with enemy players. This is far from true.

Actually, during the free weekend feints should be used with cation as ppl didn’t bloc anyway. Aggressive play punishes inappropriate (spamming) use of faints.

• @Watt:

This is why i stick to the shield now. You see rank 35+ and 40+ people using feint and claiming they are so good, then you give them a situation where feint is useless and they suddenly suck.

Sounds like you haven’t been kicked while using a shield ^.^

• @Tree0ctopus:

@Watt:

This is why i stick to the shield now. You see rank 35+ and 40+ people using feint and claiming they are so good, then you give them a situation where feint is useless and they suddenly suck.

Sounds like you haven’t been kicked while using a shield ^.^

Because it’s impossible to kick someone as long as they’re backpedaling.

• @Delfagro:

I see that this discussion revolves around 1v1 situations. Even on public TO servers you will after some rounds form a relation to the notable players on the server. That is where the application of feints will not be a no brainer. With my claymore I will faint stab into overhead to get a good start on the overly defensive Knight, vs that aggressive bearded axe man, I will wait for him to miss.

Faint is very easy to do compared to the advantages they give, but you actually will not see them properly used too often on public servers. Even not on servers with average rank 20 +.

I’d argue that if spammed feints was a real problem, they would ruin almost every encounter with enemy players. This is far from true.

Actually, during the free weekend feints should be used with cation as ppl didn’t bloc anyway. Aggressive play punishes inappropriate (spamming) use of faints.

First off, fainting in combat will get you killed every time ;)

Any halfway decent player can overcome a recklessly aggressive player, so that is an ineffective counter to feints. Feinting has no downside other than insignificant stamina loss as you can simply parry thrust an overly aggressive opponent.

P.s. 'tis “feinting” not “fainting”

• I remember that in warband you also have feintspam.
    This is not really an issue since you have no cooldown on blocking.

In this game, you have a cooldown on blocking but no cooldown on feintspam…

• @JHoersten2:

@MUSASHI:

There are better players than you that complain about feint spam. Grow up child…it’s time to stop being a contrarian idiot.

How can you make claims against my skill when you haven’t the slightest idea of where it lies?

Please refrain from speaking to me until your duel ratio rises above a 10:1 ratio with 600+ duels played. Thanks, and keep practicing!

I really dislike the concept of feinting in Chivalry myself, but I’m reflective and I can see that Chivalry’s combat would change dramaticlly if feintings were removed just like that, because in alpha when they decided to add feints to the game, they have began updating & fixing the game so it would work with the feinting, so a new system, timings or ect may have to be changed IF feintings were to be removed to make the combat a bit more challanging. I don’t see Feint spam as a too much of issue, it will just leave them open for a hit if you manage to read their pattern. What I really dislike about feints, is that you can Abuse them to cancel your recovery phase on any of your weapons that has the combo-ability by simply; Any-attack -> Prepare Combo -> Cancel attack -> Idle stance. No recovery phase on your weapon as the developers intended, which basically takes out the part of the game where you can catch your opponent off-guard during their recovery phase because they mindlessly charged into an attack without taking account of that. This exploit can very easily be seen in the hands of a very slow weapon such as the Maul.

• This is what I consider an elegant solution to the feinting problem.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10795

Previously my sentiment was that feinting was just fine. However, after the recent changes and also the addition of a dedicated duel mode I can now see they are not, it really is a concept that needs a bit of work. Most duels against good players are won or lost by feints. And the problem is apparent as soon as you add a shield and feinting becomes a non issue. The result is the majority of high scoring duel players use a shield or play as maa, and it kills some of the variety of the game.

My intention is not to derail this thread, but please have a look and see what you think. I really am starting to get fed up of feints, and I was the biggest feint apologist out there.

• @PedroFromHell:

This is what I consider an elegant solution to the feinting problem.

Previously my sentiment was that feinting was just fine. However, after the recent changes and also the addition of a dedicated duel mode I can now see they are not, it really is a concept that needs a bit of work. Most duels against good players are won or lost by feints. And the problem is apparent as soon as you add a shield and feinting becomes a non issue. The result is the majority of high scoring duel players use a shield or play as maa, and it kills some of the variety of the game.

My intention is not to derail this thread, but please have a look and see what you think. I really am starting to get fed up of feints, and I was the biggest feint apologist out there.

Personally I can beat someone who feints in a duel. Its harder but still doable.

• @lemonater47:

@PedroFromHell:

Personally I can beat someone who feints in a duel. Its harder but still doable.

Oh absolutely it’s doable. But can you do it consistently?

• @PedroFromHell:

@lemonater47:

@PedroFromHell:

To be fair, I can do it consistently, since I’ve spent ages learning to read feints. Two problems however:

1. 1-handed feints are still unreadable.

2. Feint spam is guesswork.

I don’t know of any way to address #1. But we can address #2.

• @Bloodhead:

@PedroFromHell:

To be fair, I can do it consistently, since I’ve spent ages learning to read feints. Two problems however:

I can do it consistently with a shield.

• @Bloodhead:

I don’t know of any way to address #1. But we can address #2.

Ahh the good old 1h man.
    Easy to hit thru block/parry, fastest windup/release/recovery, cant read feints (95% you will react automatically to attack), the only weapon i actually use lmb since 1h can 3 hits knight without problems (and two hit others)

I fucking hate them. But love it when i use a 1h myself

1. I use feints. I’m rank 37. I’m no ‘kid’, I’m no ‘noob’.

2. I think I can be forgiven for dying to a feint spammer. He fought normally (with feints) until I was on low hp; we separated because we were both low on stamina; he starts running (with zwei so I couldnt attack first) uses feint, I read it, uses a second feint (which I actually read again) and then his third feint fooled me. Please explain to me where I made my mistake.

You got fooled? you said it yourself.

Whats any difference in the scenario of….He swung at me i blocked…he swung again i blocked…he swung again and fooled me, Where was my mistake?

Your post made 0 sense lol

Feinting isnt guesswork, you have to notice animations and watch them, look for what is shown on a feint and a swing. The elbow is the key indicator to knowing what a swing or a feint will be.

Not even that, just knowing patterns. If someone is spamming feints i become the agressor. You have to make HIM worried to block, if hes going to spam feints im going to spam attacks until he gets his stuff together and trys a different approach. If he comes at me in my face 24/7 im going to use kicks and bait him to swing to get distance, and i will keep him at range so none of his feints will make me flinch.

Its all about reading your opponent which is the BASIS of fighting, feints add so much to the complexity of where fights could eventually down the road turn to that its going to be epic ass battles going down. Most people are new, so they actually think feint spam is scary, when in any experienced players eyes, that your que to swing…its magic i know

• @yayolol:

1. I use feints. I’m rank 37. I’m no ‘kid’, I’m no ‘noob’.

2. I think I can be forgiven for dying to a feint spammer. He fought normally (with feints) until I was on low hp; we separated because we were both low on stamina; he starts running (with zwei so I couldnt attack first) uses feint, I read it, uses a second feint (which I actually read again) and then his third feint fooled me. Please explain to me where I made my mistake.

You got fooled? you said it yourself.

Whats any difference in the scenario of….He swung at me i blocked…he swung again i blocked…he swung again and fooled me, Where was my mistake?

Your post made 0 sense lol

Feinting isnt guesswork, you have to notice animations and watch them, look for what is shown on a feint and a swing. The elbow is the key indicator to knowing what a swing or a feint will be.

Not even that, just knowing patterns. If someone is spamming feints i become the agressor. You have to make HIM worried to block, if hes going to spam feints im going to spam attacks until he gets his stuff together and trys a different approach. If he comes at me in my face 24/7 im going to use kicks and bait him to swing to get distance, and i will keep him at range so none of his feints will make me flinch.

Its all about reading your opponent which is the BASIS of fighting, feints add so much to the complexity of where fights could eventually down the road turn to that its going to be epic ass battles going down. Most people are new, so they actually think feint spam is scary, when in any experienced players eyes, that your que to swing…its magic i know

Sorry but did you even read my post?

I could not have seen that feint spam coming, because he hadn’t done it before. That immediately removes the possibility of being able to predict it because of previous patterns.

Also you don’t need to teach me how to read feints. I said in my post that I read the first feints he threw at me. I know how to do that.

And as for this:

I honestly don’t know what you mean. Are you suggesting that blocking feint spam is as easy as blocking a regular attack?

The fact is that no-one will be able to point out my mistake to me. There isn’t an obvious mistake which lost me that fight. I lost because feint spam is impossible to predict. My only option would have been to attack; but why should I attack if there is a far higher chance that he WON’T feint spam?