Slower Weapons Need Longer Attack Stun

• We’ve all been there. You’re a vanguard or a knight and you’ve managed to break the block of a skilled MAA and you’re going in for the kill. You deliver a slash and it connects. You combo into another slash, but it’s not blocked. Instead the MAA simply stabs you through your combo, interrupting it and defeating its purpose. He then gets to combo you until the day is done.

I propose that the slower the weapon is, the longer the attack stun should be. As in, if a hit connects and draws blood, the unit hit should not be able to ATTACK for a longer period. It will still be able to move at the current rate, and your parrying ability will remain completely unchanged. The faster weapons are more or less defeating the purpose of combos in the slower weapons. Slower weapons should be able to combo without being simply poked out of it between hits, assuming that the combo of the larger weapon is actually connecting.

• No that would be wrong.

But I agree it is a problem when the short weapons can just slash, slash and not much you can do about it.

I don`t really see anything being done, its as good as it is going to get. Be nice if one could actually have a sword fight between long and short weapons but just aint going to happen.

For long weapons you just have to stick with running around and kiting and use movement to avoid being hit.

• I don’t like it.

What would be cool though would be if slower weapons had a longer daze when hitting someone out of stamina.

• Even with a 2h longsword I can be interrupted by 1handers while doing combo.
    Its idiotic, wrong and another reason why 1h are superior

• Not really. You can parry an ongoing combo from the fastest weapon in the game.

• @bagetti:

Not really. You can parry an ongoing combo from the fastest weapon in the game.

If you combo with a 2h against a 1h, the 1h can simply spam attack and INTERRUPT your combo. Then HE gets to combo, and you CANNOT interrupt his combo with a 2h simply because you need longer to windup and release.
    It only makes sense having longer stun period when you get hit by a 2h. Otherwise you can be outperformed on all ends.
    For example I spam attack when someone tries to combo with a 2h on me while I have falchion, or any other 1h. A 70-80% chance that I hit him and interrupt (depens on how i attack and how the other combos)

• If you combo with a 2h against a 1h, the 1h can simply spam attack and INTERRUPT your combo.

This is currently true, but won’t be after taking damage forces you to go into recovery in the next patch as opposed to being allowed to combo due to a release hit trade.

• @Martin:

If you combo with a 2h against a 1h, the 1h can simply spam attack and INTERRUPT your combo.

This is currently true, but won’t be after taking damage forces you to go into recovery in the next patch as opposed to being allowed to combo due to a release hit trade.

I dont mean that situation where BOTH combo, but I mean when I combo and hit my enemy (while he did nothing but flinch) he CAN spam attack to interrupt me while comboing. The 1h are too fast and thus FASTER than a 2h can combo. That so called “patch” (didnt see yet 1 patch that fixed anything) wont be having effect on this situation. But I do think its impossible to do that on sword of war, it has basically a 1h combo speed

• @janii:

@Martin:

If you combo with a 2h against a 1h, the 1h can simply spam attack and INTERRUPT your combo.

I dont mean that situation where BOTH combo, but I mean when I combo and hit my enemy (while he did nothing but flinch) he CAN spam attack to interrupt me while comboing. The 1h are too fast and thus FASTER than a 2h can combo. That so called “patch” (didnt see yet 1 patch that fixed anything) wont be having effect on this situation. But I do think its impossible to do that on sword of war, it has basically a 1h combo speed

Which weapon is this? I have never been able to even finish a windup, let alone flinch a 2h combo when I’ve been hit.

• [quote="NabsterHax"
    Which weapon is this? I have never been able to even finish a windup, let alone flinch a 2h combo when I’ve been hit.

If you and a vanguard or knight using a 2 handed weapon slower than the longsword, those being the greatsword, messer, zweihander, maul, grandmace, halberd, bardiche, or zweihander, if they start to combo you and you’re using a fast 1 handed weapon, if the first hit connects, just start spamming the attack button. It’ll interrupt their combo and you get to start your own. It really defeats the purpose of 2 handed combos for slower weapons.

• I can agree with this greatly, actually. It’s only logical too, slower weapons pack a bigger punch, and therefore should increase flinch time before you can attack again.

Not too much though, because the only things that can interrupt are a dagger or a mace/hatchet stab cuz they’re so fast. Daggers already have plenty of weaknesses though.

• Can’t say I notice this happening to me a lot. Even with a maul I can at least get a release hit-trade, which is usually in my favor what with using the maul and all. Actually hitting the enemy again before he can retaliate at all like you’re supposed to would be even better of course.

@Helgeran:

What would be cool though would be if slower weapons had a longer daze when hitting someone out of stamina.

I’d very much like to see this, or simply allow attacks that daze opponents to continue unhindered like on an actual hit so you can combo right away.

There certainly is some slow-fast weapon disparity left to adress. 0.3 second windups make it impossible for a shield user to retaliate at all due to the new shield lowering delay, you have no chance of getting past windup after a block if your opponent is using angled alt-swings. This is very noticeable on the hatchet and daggers, might work with 0.35 too depending on the defender’s shield and weapon.

• Happens to me all the time…:/ Prolly because I use zweihander and halberd (and spear that cannot combo…:/ ).

I surely agree that the 2H weapons should pack much more punch - there are many 1H weapons that can twoshot a vanguard easily but there are no 2H weapons that can oneshot a MaA easily (emphasis on easily - yes, you can 1shot Maa with a Zwei overhead in the head or the same with maul and probably the same with double axe but that’s not very easy). So the only advantage is the reach while the speed is a huge disadvantage.

The idea of 2H weapon is to be effing afraid of getting into its swing even while parrying or blocking with shields because often it is impossible to hold the parry and shield is likely to get splintered. But in Chivalry, there is nothing to be afraid of.

• I also think no weapon should be able to flinch a combo after getting hit. Reminds of the idle flinch bug.

Imho even if you get hit by a maul you should NOT be able to flinch your enemies combo even if you have a dagger. Why should you get the advantage for being hit(even a hittrade would be arguable imho)? That is against the game’s core mechanics. So slow weapons should definitely cause longer flinch.

Right now speed is plain better than range anyway, so this buff to slow weapons would be very welcome as it would make the game more consistent and balanced at the same time.

• Make 1handers slower!
    Make 2handers attack stun longer!
    really?

whats next, Make 2handers faster?

Lets not forget which classes have the higher HP, wield 1&2 handed weapons, shield, & has reach.
    MAA and archers die in 2-1 hits

Also consider the Playing difficulties, Its much harder on MAA and Archers. Now u want2 make it more Difficult4 the minority that play MAA’s/Javelineers?

All because u havent learnd how2 make do?

Ive seen good play come from Knights&Vanguards, If they can do it, so can u. Practice.

• @Rodelero:

Make 1handers slower!
    Make 2handers attack stun longer!
    really?

whats next, Make 2handers faster?

You’re not reading. Longer attack stun. It simply means that you can’t interrupt a combo if you’ve been hit by the first strike. You can parry all you want but you can’t stab through a combo. If you would like to interrupt a combo, Parry it, or dodge it. It will not affect 1 handed weapons speed in any way. So please, actually read and consider things that don’t pertain to the class you obviously want to be the strongest. You might deny this, but it is very clear that you play MAA, and thus have a subconscious or even conscious bias. Keep it under control.
    Thank you.

• All weapons need longer attack stun !

• @hacksecks:

All weapons need longer attack stun !

Yes. It is for slower weapons in general. The slow 1 handed weapons are at a special disadvantage, because if the other player can get a hit in with their fast 2 handed weapon, it spells doom for the other person, as they are most likely out powered.

Slower weapon = Longer Attack Stun

• Fair enough.

• I agree with this suggestion.

If resembling a degree of reality is truly being sot after with this game, then all the factors (+and-) need to be properly balanced in a fair, reasonable way. I can live with realities based on fact and adjust my tactics accordingly, but what ticks me off is the unbalanced half-arsed approach of how this game’s mechanics work.

It’s almost as silly as the parry mechanic… A slow, heavy two handed axe is swung over-head against a weakling archer who readily parries this mighty weapon with his dagger. Yeah right, tell me another bed time story of the magical world of middle earth, daddy!

And by the way… how large were the wrists and arms of this heroic archer? Please don’t tell me he was a dwarf. ;)

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.