When will we be able to use fire arrows?

• ok so before some ppl go and say its a bad idea its already in the game. dont believe me? create a game with some bots and watch their archers shoot fire arrows into you. so my question is why dont they make it so players can use them not just bots?

• It’s no secret, they were usable during the Alpha.

They had a very short range and tiny (if anything) hit damage, but they set the player on fire on hit.

Disabled due to balance reasons, they weren’t very fun for the person on the opposite end, as you could pretty much keep them constantly on fire. Shoot an arrow, run, shoot, run etc. They may be brought back one day, but would require some balancing first.

• @BobT36:

It’s no secret, they were usable during the Alpha.

They had a very short range and tiny (if anything) hit damage, but they set the player on fire on hit.

Disabled due to balance reasons, they weren’t very fun for the person on the opposite end, as you could pretty much keep them constantly on fire. Shoot an arrow, run, shoot, run etc. They may be brought back one day, but would require some balancing first.

ahh well i wasnt aware you could actually use them before hopefully they come back sometime.

• It would be cool to use the asset for a TO map. Instead of torches some part has a fire-arrow dispenser and you need to set something far away on fire.

• Global Moderator

@Helgeran:

It would be cool to use the asset for a TO map. Instead of torches some part has a fire-arrow dispenser and you need to set something far away on fire.

That would be a far better use for them. Being able to set alight your arrows instead I just having fire arrows. Just make it take a long time to set an arrow an fire. And make it so you hae to attach the flammable bit to it first.

• @lemonater47:

That would be a far better use for them. Being able to set alight your arrows instead I just having fire arrows. Just make it take a long time to set an arrow an fire. And make it so you hae to attach the flammable bit to it first.

I was thinking more in the lines of just picking them up from a pre-lit basket. The point would be to give archers a reason to advance instead of just hanging back. I imagine the basket it a bit more than midway into the map and the target is furthest away. It would be possible to burn it with torches too but easier with arrows.

• I personally don’t see fire arrows adding anything positive to the game experience. Regardless if you’re on the firing end or the receiving end.

• @BobT36:

It’s no secret, they were usable during the Alpha.

I miss the fire arrows :(

• Yeah they were fun to pewpew with heh, but damn I felt sorry for the person I had permanently on fire. XD

Hope they do come back at some point though.

• hmm, i think it would be able to be somewhat balanced. Think about arrows in general… a lot of bows can 1 hit or 2 hit people. If you take say…. ALL of the arrow damage out and just make them an arrow firepot… ehh? Blockable by shields though for some kind of balance… that may be interesting.

• Can you imagine the anti-archer rage???

Enable it !

• @clayton-bigsby:

hmm, i think it would be able to be somewhat balanced. Think about arrows in general… a lot of bows can 1 hit or 2 hit people. If you take say…. ALL of the arrow damage out and just make them an arrow firepot… ehh? Blockable by shields though for some kind of balance… that may be interesting.

That’s pretty much how they were, and they had a very short range too.

However (especially with the greater degree of visibility loss in the Alpha) they were like having a MAA with UNLIMITED firepots (just without the AoE effect). It just wasn’t fun for the person on the other end being CONSTANTLY on fire. All the archer had to do was shoot, run, shoot, run and the opponent’s HP would slowly drain to nothing, as well as the irritatingness of the burning.

I used them against someone and giggled as I just kited him while he burned to death. Granted with some tweaking they could be a pretty fun addition, especially as a late archer unlock, and a low ammo count.

• The fire effect at the time was annoying I’ll give you that, but it did take 3 arrows on any class to down them (35 dmg per shot incl. the fire), I didn’t even think that was close to OP, in fact, I lowered it to 3 for every class just to see if the complaints continued, and they did, lol. Bunch of whiners! ;)

On a serious note, I can’t really see where fire arrows would fit in anymore without stepping on toes.

• or … the fire arrows could have 1 of 2 other options.

Alternate attack, causing some kind of dipping motion to use the fire arrow… but have a limit on how many can be used out of your supply. Maybe you can only shoot a few of them or something.

Or… you would need to ACTUALLY dip it into like oil or something, wait a time for it to light, these would be in certain areas, maybe even only certain maps… and it would work something like that. This would kind of throw a bit of realism into them rather than pulling out already lit fire arrows. You could even have to require a teammate or something to light it for you with a torch or something once you get the oil on it.

Yeah, i’m fucking smart, i’m actually liking that 2nd one the more i think about it, making someone or two people to go through all that just to get one fire arrow off lol YES

hmm stoneshill has oil pots… AND TORCHES :-O … and hillside has the torches at least already… :-O. We have a winner?!

• lol can’t really see the torch thing working out. Other players are going to want to be in in there carving people up, not running around at the back helping Archers light their arrows. Or having an archer running around screaming “Somebody help meh shoot fire arrows pl0x!”.

Having a couple of “lightable” areas in a map though could be alright, long as they have a decent cooldown.

And yeah the arrows weren’t exactly “OP” damagewise, it was moreso the enemy having to endure a long, slow, burning death, rather than just being shot a couple of times and killed lol. Was even worse in Alpha where the fire effect were akin to the death ones, just flame coloured, as in being hit with them meant you couldn’t see much either.

• Yeah not the greatest counterplay design. It would be interesting if the person on fire could run into other people and set them on fire too though!

• at least make it a serverside option, and does it really matter what kills u in a game where thats the point now does it?

plus the fire arrows do less damage then the regular ones, so all the nerfing because of the whining is ruining the game

why limit how cool, awesome and epic this game could be exp with stuff like that.

ive had hundreds of ppl on my server alone ask about and want to use the fire arrows,like the bots do

• The other weapons (besides a few exploits) were pretty well balanced.

Those weren’t.

They do need some tweaking, but should definitely be usable with a bit of design time / thought and some rebalancing. :)

People would just rage with how they were previously though.

• I think we should just look to history; fire arrows do little damage to people but set things on fire. Good for Stoneshill to set houses on fire and maybe even the last section of Darkforrest you could set the destructible defenses on fire.

Only get 5 of them or something though.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.