Lagspikes and "startup load-lag stutter"

• Hi.

It has come to my attention (and everyone else by now, likely) that almost no matter which (official) TO server I join, they all experience lag spikes.

Many a map, during the initial “run from spawn to TO” phase, there will be stuttering, as if the map were still loading(just without any HDD activity locally on my end), and during the matches overall there are constant and reocurring lagspikes, i.e. moments where everything stands still for 1-20 seconds, and suddenly you are somewhere completely else(or, often, dead).

This happens not just for me, but for everyone on the official server. This is unbearable and has been ongoing for 4+ weeks now.

Please find out what it is, how to fix it, and then do go and fix it. And help the folks running independent servers best you can as well please, they, too, seem to have troubles at times regarding ping etc.

I’m aware this has probably been posted a few times, but given that this has not gotten better for the last 2 months, and I did not see it on the first two pages, I had to post this thread.

• In addition to the generally worse FPS performance I have been getting since the last patch, I get these startup stuttering spikes REALLY bad for the first 30 seconds of a map or so.

Also, lagspikes (affecting everyone) all day every day on the official asian servers. Sometimes it’s pretty annoying, other times it’s still playable.

• Be helpful if you pinpointed which servers (US west, US east, European). I run on the official servers all the time - though generally a short list of about 4 and do not notice it.

I do know what you are talking about, I`ve seen it before, typically after an update. Usually indicates some process high in CPU or disk activity server side.

• @gregcau:

Be helpful if you pinpointed which servers (US west, US east, European). I run on the official servers all the time - though generally a short list of about 4 and do not notice it.

I do know what you are talking about, I`ve seen it before, typically after an update. Usually indicates some process high in CPU or disk activity server side.

Sure. For me, its all about Germany/UK/Europe.

The official EU TO servers 06 and 08 and the official TO Germany server especially are the ones I visit frequently and have seen it on.
    (By the way, do Official TO server 01-05 exist? Because I don’t think I have ever seen them in the list…)

In another thread one guy said the trouble occurs on Server 2008 OS, but not on Server 2003 for some weird reason, I wonder if its more than just a random load issue, but perhaps a deeper underlying problem.

Sometimes with OS and things load is caused not because there is actual load, but because of incompatibilities as well. Software is tricky stuff, I guess.

• Last night once again was four hours of lagspikes on the 32 slot Official Multiplayer TO server, either 06 or 08, not sure.
    One of them has 24 slots, the other 32, but both reliably have the lags.

It was also much complained about in the chat and some people left because of it eventually.
    It had both the “load lag” at start as well as the randomly reoccuring lagspikes during the map.

• Had it all evening on both of the official german TO servers the other night.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.