Dead Game

• Dead Thread.

• Rip, never forget.

• Yep, game is almost entirely dead right now. It has a lot more servers but, not even more population than the mod had six months before chiv was released (when it was also considered dead.)

The devs have themselves to blame, they made a fairly good game and then refused to fix known issues, patched in more bugs, didnt release a kit for modders so there would constantly be new and engaging content. Right now the game is in paid beta.

At this point though, the game has a reputation as a bugfest with a shallow skill ceiling. Regardless of if they fix it, when there are so many other games for people to play, no one is coming to this one.

RIP CHIV, murdered by an inept development team and then posthumously raped by a terrible community.

• @JCash:

Yep, game is almost entirely dead right now. It has a lot more servers but, not even more population than the mod had six months before chiv was released (when it was also considered dead.)

The devs have themselves to blame, they made a fairly good game and then refused to fix known issues, patched in more bugs, didnt release a kit for modders so there would constantly be new and engaging content. Right now the game is in paid beta.

At this point though, the game has a reputation as a bugfest with a shallow skill ceiling. Regardless of if they fix it, when there are so many other games for people to play, no one is coming to this one.

RIP CHIV, murdered by an inept development team and then posthumously raped by a terrible community. All you do is make the situation worse.

• @Del:

@JCash:

Yep, game is almost entirely dead right now. It has a lot more servers but, not even more population than the mod had six months before chiv was released (when it was also considered dead.)

RIP CHIV, murdered by an inept development team and then posthumously raped by a terrible community. All you do is make the situation worse.

I don’t think so. Somebody has to say TBS, that things are going wrong! That’s the only way for them to really understand the situation. It got to the point, where the game stopped being fun to many players.

• We just lack fortnightly patches with the most high priority bug fixes and balance changes. There’s really no need to wait 1 or 2 months for massive updates full of so many untested changes that adds more bugs, especially balance patches which take only hours to produce, not weeks. Gives off a bad impression and people leave when problems aren’t rectified quickly.

• Yep Im playing much less than I used to do. The better you get, the more bugs you will recognize.

• This game was made by 8 people you entitled children.

The combat system is the first of its kind in a videogame. You have no respect or appreciation for this project. Get out.

• @2maidens1chalice:

This game was made by 8 people you entitled children.

The combat system is the first of its kind in a videogame. You have no respect or appreciation for this project. Get out.

Over 20 people, and second kind, since it’s the evolution to Age of Chivalry, which is now 5 years old.

It’s got absolutely nothing to do with the lack of respect or appreciation. We love this game and want it to improve, that’s the whole reason we’re here right now… posting. How exactly do you think things will improve if no one ever posted criticism?

• I agree there are a lot of silly bugs, but I still have a crap load of fun playing… I don’t agree 100% with TBS’s descision cough cough Hillside treb 3 removal cough cough maul nerf, but I have a pretty good faith they are going to continue improving the game and make it even funner by fixing bugs and creating new content in the future!

• @Martin:

@2maidens1chalice:

Over 20 people, and second kind, since it’s the evolution to Age of Chivalry, which is now 5 years old.

It’s got absolutely nothing to do with the lack of respect or appreciation. We love this game and want it to improve, that’s the whole reason we’re here right now… posting. How exactly do you think things will improve if no one ever posted criticism?

Because ‘ded gaem’ is legitimate critique.

Also supportive relatives and the pizza guy don’t count as staff.

• @2maidens1chalice:

@Martin:

@2maidens1chalice:

Because ‘ded gaem’ is legitimate critique.

Also supportive relatives and the pizza guy don’t count as staff.

Chivalry is dead. Chivalry remains dead. And we have killed it. Yet its shadow still looms. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?
    —by Alyx York » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:46 am

I’m paraphrasing.

• I really don’t know what you’re all on about.

At the weekend (the only real time I get to do some gaming), I have no problem finding a game with 20+ people at 5 in the morning or whatever, in the U.K… and that’s on the Official EU servers which I play on since I’m Admin.

I jump in, have a blast, chop some heads and have a good time for a few hours, then leave.

Granted there are issues though, and I do hope the team transitions to smaller fixes which address specific issues. Packaging changes can be good for organisation but, makes each release need a huge testing effort (due to all the possible combinations, rather than just repetition), and it’s a bit easy to get lost when you try and fix everything at once.

Either ways though there are some problems but, I do think people take it a bit too seriously. I think the team was trying to make a fun game (for their FIRST attempt at a commercial game), not #1 e-sport worldwide…

• @BobT36:

I really don’t know what you’re all on about.

At the weekend (the only real time I get to do some gaming), I have no problem finding a game with 20+ people at 5 in the morning or whatever, in the U.K… and that’s on the Official EU servers which I play on since I’m Admin.

I jump in, have a blast, chop some heads and have a good time for a few hours, then leave.

Granted there are issues though, and I do hope the team transitions to smaller fixes which address specific issues. Packaging changes can be good for organisation but, makes each release need a huge testing effort (due to all the possible combinations, rather than just repetition), and it’s a bit easy to get lost when you try and fix everything at once.

Either ways though there are some problems but, I do think people take it a bit too seriously. I think the team was trying to make a fun game (for their FIRST attempt at a commercial game), not #1 e-sport worldwide…

Yes but this would make for an excellent e-sport. And people who have a large passion for the game want it to be popular.

• I have problems getting into an official server sometimes due to its being full, so yeah :(

And as we all know, Chiv is not perfect. Patches really shouldn’t take THIS long to get out, but things will improve. The team is busy right now moving to Canada and getting setup in the studio. Once everyone is all situated, you’ll start seeing faster updates and more work being done. So yes, right now, things are moving very very slowly, but it won’t always be this way. I just think we need to get this latest patch released right now into the game to ease everyone’s minds. People have been really happy with it thus far.

• @Kimiko:

I have problems getting into an official server sometimes due to its being full, so yeah :(

Is your definition for a thriving game one in which occasionally one server per gametype per geographical region is populated at peak play hours? Because if so it doesnt even meet that criteria.

• With multiple European servers being close to full at 5am (U.K time, so rest of Europe is 1-2 hours infront) then, yeah? Maybe not full on thriving but, certainly not a full on graveyard like people are making out.

• @BobT36:

With multiple European servers being close to full at 5am (U.K time, so rest of Europe is 1-2 hours infront) then, yeah? Maybe not full on thriving but, certainly not a full on graveyard like people are making out.

Certainly not dead, just dying now. 3 months and we have had a paltry patch of what 20 bugs, perhaps a couple of important ones.

Chivalry used to be what 25th on the top 100 steam list.

Today it is down to 64th and 2,000 players ON A WEEKEND? It used to jump to almost 4,000.

Its not that people don’t want blades and swordfighting - Mount and Blade is 20th on steam and that is with inferior combat but more content and larger multiplayer battles.

Lack of content and bug fixes is killing this off quickly and more and more people are looking to M&B as an alternative.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.