Archers in duels

• GOOD GOD WHY

Nothing is a bigger royal p-off than getting shot in the face by arrows/bolts/javs before you even leave your starting position. And don’t give me the “use shields” BS because any archer worth his salt can EASILY shoot around a shield. Not to mention not all classes get a shield nor is it part of everyones play-style.

Throwing projectiles like axes and knives are disabled in duels yet for some reason the entire archer class is allowed to use their ranged weapons. Why? It completely ruins the point of duels in the first place. This is beyond annoying in a game-mode where you cannot choose or see your opponent before fighting them. Not to mention that many archer players will flee when you approach them, leading to a “duel” which results in you chasing him around for 10 sodding minutes because he wants to get cheap shots at you and doesn’t want to fight.

Archers should be disabled in duels by default and the server owner should be able to opt-in to enable them rather than opt-out like it is now.

• 9/10 Agree with most of it.

Incoming Nova post.

• Duels are indeed not for archers.

• I don’t agree with them being disabled by default. Server operators should be able to choose whether they want them disabled though of course.

However I do think it’s unfair for other classes to be blocked from using projectiles though, when archers are freely able to do so with their own.

• Some maps are killer for that I agree, with a javelin I’ve killed people within a few seconds lol.

Shield helps for sure.

I do hate that classes do not have their own projectiles, it was a bad idea.

As a javelineer I would love to see knights without shields, MAA with a firepot so I can kill them quickly.

• It would be nice to serverside be able to ban some weapons or classes.

• @Goden:

And don’t give me the “use shields” BS because any archer worth his salt can EASILY shoot around a shield.

Take few arrow hits i will take tower shield and just WASD around you… i won’t even attack you. Show me how often you will hit, ok?

After when you realize it is not exactly as you thought… i’ll invite you do some FFA with bow.

• Never had problems with archers. There was only one, but he didnt range attack but rape me with a godfuckingdamn buttered knife. I had to do a 720 degree maneuver to block a hit. But his weapon was faster, hence why 1h are superior, and the fun started for me again

• Maining as maa, turning around a corner or running out of spawn only to be one shotted by a heavy crossbow is the most annoying thing in duel mode. It happens especially often as a rage class change after I won the first round, and is really, really stupid.

• …or archer getting 1 hit by any melee.

Usually with insta hit.

• @Peacerer:

@Goden:

And don’t give me the “use shields” BS because any archer worth his salt can EASILY shoot around a shield.

Take few arrow hits i will take tower shield and just WASD around you… i won’t even attack you. Show me how often you will hit, ok?

After when you realize it is not exactly as you thought… i’ll invite you do some FFA with bow.

Don’t care.

If your counter argument is that everyone should go knight with tower shield then you are out of your mind.

• @Peacerer:

…or archer getting 1 hit by any melee.

Usually with insta hit.

If you’re getting killed in a duel by an archer you’re either too predictable in your movement or terrible.

Archers are OHK 80% of the time and have no melee weapon capable of taking out a vanguard or knight in a straight fight, unless like I said, they’re terrible.

• @Nihilum:

@Peacerer:

…or archer getting 1 hit by any melee.

Usually with insta hit.

If you’re getting killed in a duel by an archer you’re either too predictable in your movement or terrible.

Archers are OHK 80% of the time and have no melee weapon capable of taking out a vanguard or knight in a straight fight, unless like I said, they’re terrible.

Any half decent archer with a cudgel can trash a knight in seconds. It’s not exactly hard.

• Any half-decent knight can trash an archer with any weapon in seconds.
    O wait, maybe it has something to do with player skill and not class.

Archers maybe get 1 chance to get a cheap kill in a duel. The first time they ‘surprise’ you with a projectile, after that you should be making it very difficult for them to hit you.

Also, if it really annoys you, just f-10 at the start of the fight and get on with killing someone else. After all this is a computer game, do your stats really matter that much?

• @BobT36:

However I do think it’s unfair for other classes to be blocked from using projectiles though, when archers are freely able to do so with their own.

I’ve said this since day 1 of the dueling mode. If you’re going to allow archers, you should allow throwables as well.

• Nothing should have been blocked from the start. I honestly don’t know what was being drunk or smoked when that decision was made.

• Even though I may be new to the game…. I already know how to dodge arrows. I go into duel rooms to try and learn to melee fight. The top player in almost any duel room I have been in seems to be a heavy crossbow archer with the cudgel. I don’t learn anything from the archer duels, and they often will dance around for a very long time, so I will just kill myself and move on to the next fight. It’s not that I’m being a poor sport, it’s because I want to learn from fighting MA, K, and V, fighting archers is a waste of time for me, since I will probably die anyways when they take off half my HP with an arrow before we even start.

But I would love to have all archer battles and the like, it’s just not fun to join a random duel and find out the guy is gonna pelt you with arrows before it starts. Bowed to one today at the start, and he shot me in the face…… :|

If anyone played the MnB mod cRPG, as I assume quite a few have, the dueling system in there was fantastic. It was a normal map, and everyone was out there FFA style, but you couldn’t damage anyone… until you invited them to duel (Press F on them) and then they accept and you fight. It let you choose who you wanted to try and fight, you could find the players more your level and work your way up to the better players. Others couldn’t interfere with your battles, the archer could fight archers, cavalry could fight cavalry, etc etc. You could choose to fight in open field, confined quarters, elevated areas, etc. You could also find people that just wanted to practice without killing, which was nice. I found someone last night who was nice enough to help me learn, but there is a duel timer built in, and it’s very short!!!

If anyone out there would like to practice or learn to play with me, send me a message and I’m sure we can find a way!

• The OPs argument is, why allow bows when you disable projectiles on other classes. The mentality seemed to be that duels should be melee fights not projectile wars. The problem is that archers completely ignore that logic and should be disabled by default, just as class projectiles are. Truth is most people don’t like archers, people who like archers are the minority. No one likes loosing because they “didn’t zig-zag enough” which, might I add, is the most annoying thing I’ve ever had to do in a game.

@Toll:

Also, if it really annoys you, just f-10 at the start of the fight and get on with killing someone else. After all this is a computer game, do your stats really matter that much?

Not an option for most people because, yes, of course stats matter. They’re a marker of how well you’re doing, let everyone else know how you’re doing, and are the heart of competition. It’s just a game, yes, but being competitive about said game makes it that much more fun. Sports are just a game, but that doesn’t mean we don’t keep score.

@Martin:

Nothing should have been blocked from the start. I honestly don’t know what was being drunk or smoked when that decision was made.

Because duels are supposed to be a skilled matchup using only the core mechanics of the game. Archery and projectile throwing are sort of an “extra” playstyle but don’t really form the meat of chivalry. Fairly straight-forward thinking really.

• @Martin:

Nothing should have been blocked from the start. I honestly don’t know what was being drunk or smoked when that decision was made.

Fixed in the 2014 patch

• Oh how I yearn to have a nice fair matched-up duel where I don’t get crap thrown at my face the moment I leave my starting position.

I just finished a match with a Javalin archer. He was putting up a good fight in melee but once I had the upper hand he took a few steps back and threw a javelin into my face. I play Vanguard mostly so there isn’t a damn thing I could do about it.

Get this garbage out of duels please. If people want to play archer there are tons of other gamemodes they can play. Even classic duels if they still want duels. Don’t put random people against archers.