Search found 4179 matches: feint

• And they all are praising it as a perfect game mechanic that totally makes it more fun for new players. Indeed, many posts are praising TBS for the clear victory introducing this game mechanic in a broken state and then breaking it more with each successive patch. Ignore calls for people to have the ability to disable feint on their own servers - obviously people willing to spend time and money to host servers shouldn’t have options. Or they can wait for the SDK that will surely be rolling out just days after the new studio is staffed with new programmers who won’t introduce new bugs trying to fix the old ones.
    But my point - feint is really, really wonderful and the primary reason so many people enjoy the game.

Search found 4045 matches: feint

• I had proposed a point a while back that I feel should be stated again as relevant to this.

If the game had launched without offensive feints at all; there wouldn’t be such a divide in the community as their currently is. Imagine trying to suggest that an easy mechanic be introduced to the game that would force the defender into a gamble. It sounds so silly, yet here we are.

• Now how many matches for a scythe can you find?

Seriously though, its good to see that people actually recognize the genius of the feint.

• Search found 118 matches: scythe

Genius. That’s the exact word I was thinking of. Take a wonderfully fun skill-based game and throw exploitable mechanics at it. Then break the tutorial! GENIUS!

@The:

It sounds so silly, yet here we are.

• The other day I was dueling on a server and getting mostly owned which is par for the course, but I got called out for being a “Sword of War Feinter” by some similarly ranked but more competitive clan member.

So can someone explain this to me?

It used to be that Feint wasn’t balanced well but I should lern2play, so I started trying to get more comfortable with the rhythm of feints to cancel attacks and parry or continue the attack if I bait an opponents parry. Now I get called out for using parry in a duel server, even though I’m mediocre at it.

I can’t really keep up with the back and forth balancing act that is “being a newb” at this game. Can someone please elaborate? Should I feint or not feint? It’s so hard to please everyone.

• Just ignore people that complain in game; everyone comes up with an excuse in the heat of the moment as to why they lost a fight. The most popular are “you feinted”, “you have a clan tag”, or “you hit through my parry”. I’m not saying feinting or hitting through parries are non-issues because I know for a fact there are problems with both, but people use these issues as excuses even in cases where they simply just got outplayed because it’s the easiest to blame.

• @BillDoor:

Search found 118 matches: scythe

bet they were all your threads too lol

@Martin:

Just ignore people that complain in game; everyone comes up with an excuse in the heat of the moment as to why they lost a fight. The most popular are “you feinted”, “you have a clan tag”

omg I just need to add a clan tag to get better - damn I never thought of that

• At this point, they’ve done so much to try and salvage their luck based cointoss mechanic, i have very little hope of the devs coming to their senses and removing it, or nerfing it to the point that all you can do is flash feint(essentially cancel hits.)

Their design philosophy seems to revolve around objective oriented teamplay, so any thought to fair/equitable 1v1s goes out the window. The further you move away from TO, towards LTS/DUEL, the more the random feint mechanic effects the game.

In my opinion of course feints don’t help the game on any level.

If they wanted to make a competitive game geared around clans and skill, they simply would never have put feint in, or would have removed it by now.

You have enough stamina to feint on six blows at spawn. People die in 2-3 hits. Feints are unreadable. This simply cant be a serious competitive game.

Personally, i’ve pretty much given up. If the next patch doesnt make feints readable i’ll just uninstall and start playing chess again. Much higher skill ceiling.

• @JCash:

At this point, they’ve done so much to try and salvage their luck based cointoss mechanic, i have very little hope of the devs coming to their senses and removing it, or nerfing it to the point that all you can do is flash feint(essentially cancel hits.)

Their design philosophy seems to revolve around objective oriented teamplay, so any thought to fair/equitable 1v1s goes out the window. The further you move away from TO, towards LTS/DUEL, the more the random feint mechanic effects the game.

In my opinion of course feints don’t help the game on any level.

If they wanted to make a competitive game geared around clans and skill, they simply would never have put feint in, or would have removed it by now.

You have enough stamina to feint on six blows at spawn. People die in 2-3 hits. Feints are unreadable. This simply cant be a serious competitive game.

Personally, i’ve pretty much given up. If the next patch doesnt make feints readable i’ll just uninstall and start playing chess again. Much higher skill ceiling.

I agree, but I’d go back to M&B. I used to be one of the best active players (I was nearly never defeated in a duel), always first on the scoreboard. It’s sad, since I’d have to begin learning it again, but Chivalry at the moment just drives me crazy.

• @JCash:

Are you trying to give the devs more reason to leave feints unreadable? It sure sounds like it :D

• @ChuckingIt:

@JCash:

Are you trying to give the devs more reason to leave feints unreadable? It sure sounds like it :D

Personal attack is cute baby.

I’m the biggest fan these devs had, feint is just a dumb choice, it doesnt even make sense on paper. “Ok, i have this idea for a video game. We’ll make it incredibly difficult to time, a large variety of weapons you have to adapt to fighting against, four classes with different abilities. And you have the capacity to land random hits that are impossible to parry”

Its like, a complete 180 in the direction opposite where this game should be.

Complete derp wtf error type move. Yea, removing it now might be embarrassing to people who argued it was a good design choice. But, no one can still seriously think having feints in the game is a good move. ITs impossible, you can’t be a logical human being and think that.

Feints are essentially the exact same thing as the alt swing bug, an unparryable attack. If you want one removed how can you be fine with the other? Sure in a feint strike the animation is still there, but it equates to the same thing - a free hit you need to get lucky to not be struck by, when you’re at skill ceiling level play.

@HammelGammel:

I agree, but I’d go back to M&B. I used to be one of the best active players (I was nearly never defeated in a duel), always first on the scoreboard. It’s sad, since I’d have to begin learning it again, but Chivalry at the moment just drives me crazy.

I almost want to go back to AoC but i think thats like, doornail dead at this point.

And feinting is the reason i quit melee and started arching, which i still enjoy in chiv immensely. Its just every time in melee when i kill someone by feinting a blow, and i know they cant read it, or i die by a feint, i get enraged and have to exit the game.

• And feinting is the reason i quit melee and started arching

You just said you play archer not to be lame ? To get more skilled kills ?

• @JCash:

I’m the biggest fan these devs had, feint is just a dumb choice, it doesnt even make sense on paper. “Ok, i have this idea for a video game. We’ll make it incredibly difficult to time, a large variety of weapons you have to adapt to fighting against, four classes with different abilities. And you have the capacity to land random hits that are impossible to parry”

I remember you really enjoying the combat, and never heard you complain about feinting until hundred of hours of gameplay later. What made you have this sudden change, if it seemed like such an obviously dumb mechanic.

• @ChuckingIt:

I remember you really enjoying the combat, and never heard you complain about feinting until hundred of hours of gameplay later. What made you have this sudden change, if it seemed like such an obviously dumb mechanic.

no one exploited feint when we started playing… well, some people might have, but not as many. we were all still learning. I don’t even remember people using feints when I started playing.

sidenote: moderators feel the need to defend the devs rather than work with the fanbase. guess who actually matters most? People are mad at the game, come to the forum to vent, and then the over aggressive mods tell them to fuck off (in their own little way)

congrats on being horrible at your job

• @ChuckingIt:

@JCash:

I explained this in another thread

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12843&start=20

The only thing people have really argued with me about is that feints are unreadable.

I don’t need to hear that argument, i’ve pulled community members far and wide into my server and challenged them to read feints. No one can. Hundreds of hours of play, sometimes over 1,000 play hours, zero ability to predict feints. It is a free hit mechanic. I understand with a degree of meta thought, you can somewhat predict feints, depending on the person you’re fighting, but there is a natural limit to how well that can be done, and it doesnt change the fact that the way the actual game works, its impossible to time.

When i realized all i get hit by (barring gross personal error, we all have bad fights) are blows that have been feinted, i didnt immediately get mad at the mechanic.

I spent AGES trying to learn to read feints. I’d practice in slow motion. I’d practice at increased speed to see if my reaction time / ability to process game situations quickly would improve. I practiced on normal speed, obviously. I tried inventive ways of learning to read them, closing my eyes and only doing it by sound. Using foootwork to see if ic ould time blocks so that even if they feinted i could parry it - this had marginal success depending on the weapon.

I came to the conclusion after talking to a lot of players, testing their ability to read feint, and analyzing my own fights, that it is a luck based cointoss mechanic which absolutely ruins the game at high levels of play.

What is your reward, hypothetical skill ceiling level player, for knowing all weapon ranges and timings? For always being aware of your surroundings so you don’t killed from behind?

Your reward is that you die to feinted blows, used by anyone, that you have no ability to predict.

Another argument used against feint removal is that it would be impossible to break a guard without them. False. Plenty of options/tricky body movements, getting them into block timings then varying your attack. It really insnt super hard.
    @Emodestroyer:

no one exploited feint when we started playing… well, some people might have, but not as many. we were all still learning. I don’t even remember people using feints when I started playing.

That is somewhat correct, they were used less often when we started playing. The game was also less buggy, less disassociation of the animations from the swings. Less lookdown/sped up swings. With how bad EVERYONE in the community was, you’d die more often from missing, having bad timing, or not knowing ranges, than you would to feints.

As you learn weapon timings/ranges, and become a better player, the feint mechanic imposes a skill ceiling, limiting how good you can get, that would be much higher without the mechanic.

• @Emodestroyer:

sidenote: moderators feel the need to defend the devs rather than work with the fanbase. guess who actually matters most?

Who is defending anyone? I like feints because it adds a mental element to fighting, so I am curious about his perspective. I only question his wording of calling feints on paper bad when it took so long for him to realize it. And the community is being listen too, haven’t you seen the feint changes they are proposing?

• @ChuckingIt:

Who is defending anyone? I like feints because it adds a mental element to fighting, so I am curious about his perspective. I only question his wording of calling feints on paper bad when it took so long for him to realize it. And the community is being listen too, haven’t you seen the feint changes they are proposing?

I’m so happy to have you around glorious moderator you should definitely show me up again with your superior intellect so I really respect you and the dev team more ;)

the feint changes don’t do shit and the weapons are still completely unbalanced

• @JCash:

Another argument used against feint removal is that it would be impossible to break a guard without them. False. Plenty of options/tricky body movements, getting them into block timings then varying your attack. It really insnt super hard.

My main argument is always, that removing feints will make small one handers the utter king of all weapons. And that slow weapons will be pure support since they can’t parry or react as fast as small weapons. Feints are what made spears usable 1v1, but it would become a novelty without feinting. They would need to change how blocking a large weapon affects small weapon user to make that balanced at all. In fact all weapons would need to be redone in order for no feints to be remotely balanced as the game presently stands. So if you’d like to start a giant list of how to balance weapons to make it a possibility, I’d really like to see your suggestions.

• @ChuckingIt:

My main argument is always, that removing feints will make small one handers the utter king of all weapons. .

take out one handed staggering and there you go, balance

• @ChuckingIt:

@JCash:

My main argument is always, that removing feints will make small one handers the utter king of all weapons. And that slow weapons will be pure support since they can’t parry or react as fast as small weapons. Feints are what made spears usable 1v1 one, but it would become a novelty without feinting. They would need to change how blocking a large weapon affects small weapon user to make that balanced at all. In fact all weapons would need to be redone in order for no feints to be remotely balanced as the game presently stands. So if you’d like to start a giant list of how to balance weapons to make it a possibility, I’d really like to see your suggestions.

Well that goes into a different issue with the mechanics, the inability to keep an enemy at range. That more relates to the fact that movement speed for all classes is much higher than it should be, and the instant you hit shift to start sprinting your character increases in speed. A lot of people hold shift their entire fight. The faster base movement speed is, the less weapon range matters. I’d say leaving sprint the same speed is a good idea, but base character walk speed, the speed you’d be at in actual fights needs to be reduced. The amount of time to go from walk to sprint needs to be increased.

For the record, 1h are generally considered the king of all weapons for duel mode.

They would need to change how blocking a large weapon affects small weapon user to make that balanced at all.

yea, well they need to do this anyway. If you have more stamina, (kind of like in aoc) your hits will do more damage, less stamina less damage, and the amount of stam you lose for a successful block needs to change based on the weight or damage of the weapon you’re hit by.

I’m not saying it wouldnt require balance tweaks, but its important those tweaks be made. It will give us a much better game, whose core, when you really understand it, isn’t a coin flip/ die roll.

I kind of get into this stuff in my knight is OP thread

viewtopic.php?p=119487