Weapon Idea: War Spear

• I made this thread because I’d really like to see this weapon implemented into the game, basically a one handed spear. Although Chivalry has an impressive arsenal of weapons, I am disappointing that it lacks one of the most common weapons of the Medieval period, the (one handed) spear. I know there are some other thread discussing spears, but I’d like to express my specific version of the general idea and discuss how it would perform in game.

My idea is that a war spear be added to the man-at-arms and knight class. It would be a primary (extra weapon slot like the staff), and be able to be used in both one or two hands (although it would only get a slight buff being used with two hands). It would have good reach, average speed and damage, and a slow combo speed that would limit its DPS, making it a primarily defensive and team support weapon.I was thinking that it would have a long ranged underarm thrust with a long windup, and a shorter ranged quicker overhead jab. Obviously you can’t swing with a one handed spear while using a shield, so you would have to have a shield attack as a substitute for slashing. It would be quite different from the vanguard’s spear, which is more of a pike, and be more similar to the vanguard’s fork. I know there are javelins in the game, but they are not melee weapons and do not perform as such.
    As for balance, I don’t think the war spear would be unbalanced. With slow combos you wouldn’t be able to get around the back of someone and chop them down like you can with one handed weapons. And the windup time would prevent m@a dodge forward+stab to be an unblockable lighting quick attack. The extra range would let the m@a class be more of a team player though, in large scale fights m@a do not fare well, as they have to get in quite close and often end getting collateraled.

Here’s a picture with the general idea: http://www.dbaol.com/images/faces/1798_face.jpg
    Anyway, leave your thoughts and comments below.

• Have you not played as archer?

They have throwing spears/javelins. They do quite a bit of damage in melee. Heavy jav is 2 hit kill MMA 3 hit kill vangaurd and 4 hit kill knight. Take into account the archer backstab it can two bit kill a knight. With two backstabs. And there’s the other spears.

And you can throw them when nessesary.

• Sorry but the javelins are just not good in melee, with their slowness and lack of range. And the fact that you are an archer with the lowest health, slower than m@a with no good advantages like dodging or heavy armour makes using the javelin class in melee not competitive at all.

• You mean like what I just posted yesterday?

It should only be a one-handed spear if you use a shield with it, and two-handed if you use it without. No one ever fought with a spear in just one hand, unless you were missing the other hand or liked the challenge.

• Yeah, sorry if I wasn’t clear but that’s what I meant. When I use a one handed weapon in Chivalry I always use a shield, because I hate having an arm just doing nothing.

• I guess this is a good idea, but I’ve seen something similar yesterday.
    I would support this as a weapon, archers javelins do not really count as being the same to this.
    Javelins are made primarily for being thrown and not very good in melee due to lack of armour
    Due to game mechanics it cannot be for vanguard or archer meaning only maa or knight can have it.

• Ty are working on getting the javilins better for melee. They already do quite a bit of damage so they are useful. A bit more range would make it easier. Archers have an advantage in melee as most people are overly aggressive agianst an archer and hardly ever parry.

And if you don’t get hit your fine.

Archers do have the same foward speed as an MAA but slower strafe and backwards speeds.

An the jav also stabs kinda sideways so you can actually hit people staying next to you. The tracers follow the animation and that’s the way the animation goes. He stabs out sideways and pushes foward.

• Look, I’m not interested in using the javelins as spears. They are not long and thus do not have the sole defining factor of real melee spears. And I want to use them with the man-at-arms and knight class, not the weakest melee class in the game. Javelins are for throwing, not melee combat.

Oh btw Savage Beatings, great post and concept art. I only just saw it now.

• @wyrda78:

Look, I’m not interested in using the javelins as spears. They are not long and thus do not have the sole defining factor of real melee spears. And I want to use them with the man-at-arms and knight class, not the weakest melee class in the game. Javelins are for throwing, not melee combat.

Calm down. If you can’t use a jav as a spear you won’t be able to use you idea very well either. Rather than complain learning how to use it is better.

• @lemonater47:

@wyrda78:

Look, I’m not interested in using the javelins as spears. They are not long and thus do not have the sole defining factor of real melee spears. And I want to use them with the man-at-arms and knight class, not the weakest melee class in the game. Javelins are for throwing, not melee combat.

Calm down. If you can’t use a jav as a spear you won’t be able to use you idea very well either. Rather than complain learning how to use it is better.

I’d be able to use my idea fine because it would be longer, actually be in a good class and not have a shield that takes up half the screen. And I’m not complaining, just stating that the topic of this thread is not how javelins make such great melee spears.

• Javelins are terrible in melee due to the fact that every weapon that has a combo ability can outspeed it. Javelin puts you through the Wind up + Release + Recovery phase everytime, with a combo weapon you can swap the Recover with a Combo, or just cancel it with the feint abuse.

• I think it’s a great idea (although this is certainly not the first time this has been brought up, do a quick search of this forum and you’ll find heaps of threads).

I agree that it’s silly that the most common medieval weapon loadout is ignored in this game.

Also agree that the javelin is not the same. Firstly you’re an archer and it’s primarily a throwing weapon, secondly it’s way too short.

• Nice, thanks for the post. I like how the examples of attacks are like the ones I was talking about, even though I didn’t see them before. Maybe that means there are a lot of people who want the same thing? Anyway, I do hope the devs pay attention.

• Something I can add to your idea is that for examle the knights should be able to select this kind of “throwing spear” weapon.
    What I mean is that the in 3rd row for the knight class, we have throwing axe, kiteshield and tower shield. My idea is that you maybe can add something the knights are carrying from the respawn and will throw at a enemy before taking up the main weapon and starts engaging.

An examle is: An LTS server, knights from both teams could charge into each other by first throwing a spear and, if your lucky and a good thrower, hit the enemy, then take up the main weapon and attack. I think this idea is a little bit, kind of “greek” fighting style where they first threw spears, and then took up their swords.

If this idea is considereble, it would be cool. Of course it doesnt have to be excacly how I describe it or imagine it to be. Just an idea as I said.

• Don’t you mean Roman style? The Greeks used armoured hoplites who didn’t throw anything, they had dedicated peltast. I don’t see how your idea would be balanced since knights already have throwing axes.

• You couldn’t possibly hold the weapon like that man (in the art works) it’d just get slapped away. Unless it had a weight on the pommel….and then it’d be a kryss and not a spear ;)

Anyway, javelin is actually pretty good in melee if you spend 150hrs on it. Combine the buckler bash with the javelin poke if you want to get greedy. It works well. The pilum is slow but can be ok

• @giantyak:

You couldn’t possibly hold the weapon like that man (in the art works) it’d just get slapped away. Unless it had a weight on the pommel….and then it’d be a kryss and not a spear ;)

Anyway, javelin is actually pretty good in melee if you spend 150hrs on it. Combine the buckler bash with the javelin poke if you want to get greedy. It works well. The pilum is slow but can be ok

I presume you’ve never actually held a spear like that then because you’re completely wrong. Yes the tip can be pushed aside but it’s actually quite easy to control. Particularly the “shield Block and Walking” art has the right idea of how to hold it.

I should point out that using a spear this way is the way the majority of medieval battles were conducted so this isn’t some theory, its a fact.

• @giantyak:

You couldn’t possibly hold the weapon like that man (in the art works) it’d just get slapped away. Unless it had a weight on the pommel….and then it’d be a kryss and not a spear ;)

I’ve looked up loads of pictures and videos of people using spear and shield, I assure you, this is the way spears was and has always been used. You can also hold it in an upper guard, you know, like hoplites do on ancient greek pottery. This makes your hand into a pivot point, since you need to balance the spear in the middle and if someone hits it on the side, it will spin around. Upper guard is only really good for throwing or when someone gets within cuddling distance and you don’t have the time to pull a short sword or dagger.

These videos explains it (from my favorite youtuber):

klOc9C-aPr4
    I-xtFXThEOc

• i disagree to those that said javelin isn’t good at melee. The only thing really hindering it is the same thing as the flail… that awful buckler. But the speed isn’t bad at all on it. And it gets around shields damn well. Throwing it is its main damaging attack, if you can land one hit + one poke, any class is dead, if not after the throw itself. Javs are beast… but i’m not really into the jav, i like the short spear, as most would agree i think personally that it’s the best javelin.

also… “a point about spears”

i see what you did there 8-)