Server option: Combo count

• Oh boy, here we go.
    Please let me start this thread by saying that, like the “f” word server option thread, I am thinking about the new players in the game, and the difficulty of learning to play the ‘exploitable’ aspects of the game mechanics.
    Please, please do not use this thread to attack one side or another about topics that have many, many threads already dedicated to them because the moderators are overwhelmed trying to sort them all!

Now - if we accept that the game is, in fact, harder than it looks. And we accept that certain game mechanics are harder to grasp intuitively than others. If we throw on top of that the banter of our regular players in their bloodrages, we can see that this does not help new players learn.
    Yes, I do believe somewhat in the “throw them and and they’ll swim” argument, but my point here is that there is no other option.

See a lot of low level players going 0-11 or 2-15 during sales weeks? Notice how their names disappear?

What can we do to help new players learn the game in a more supportive atmosphere.

In this thread I am suggesting that server operators have the ability to limit the number of consecutive combo actions.

Alone, or in addition to other options to limit certain game mechanics [subscript:350jdf2e]cough[/subscript:350jdf2e] this would allow for noob-friendly rank-limited servers.
    If these were in fact OFFICIAL servers with live trainers, so much the better. But that’s another thread.

• I think having an rank-limited/noobs-only servers would be a really nice idea to allow newer players to run around and have fun just slash-spamming everything and getting away with it.

I’m not so sure about changing the mechanics so much for those servers. Many new players don’t know how to use the more advanced mechanics properly anyway, so only those getting ready to move out of the noob servers would start using them. You have to be careful not to restrict what they can do too much because throwing them into a pool of potentially much better players is overwhelming enough without having to also learn all the “new” mechanics.

I like having the ability to customise your server, but training people to depend on certain settings or restrictions isn’t necessarily the best idea, IMO. That is, unless the game vastly improves the amount of useful information it gives you. A lot of “problems” with the current mechanics come down to a lack of general understanding of mechanics. The “Parry the tip of the sword” idea is a prime example of extremely poor player advice. Adding more useful and correct loading screen tips would help immensely.

• @NabsterHax:

I’m not so sure about changing the mechanics so much for those servers. Many new players don’t know how to use the more advanced mechanics properly anyway, so only those getting ready to move out of the noob servers would start using them. You have to be careful not to restrict what they can do too much because throwing them into a pool of potentially much better players is overwhelming enough without having to also learn all the “new” mechanics.

The idea behind it is to prevent skilled players from buying another Chiv account and sneaking onto the rank-limited servers to carve up the noobs. Not that we have any players in our community who’d do such a thing …

My thought was to have a rank 1-10 server with limited combos and disabled feints, then a rank 11-25 server with a higher combo action limit and allowing feints, also.

It’s just a thought. Nothing I intend to defend to my dying breath. By the time they actually make it possible to have noob-friendly servers, there won’t be any new people buying the game - so there’s no point.

• Just so you know, I am going to be creating some “noob friendly” official servers once I get the full access to the multiplay accounts.

So there will be some low rank-only servers for those who’d prefer that and higher ranks will not be allowed in. We won’t be limiting anything beyond that though, but I think this will be a start to help out new players and not have to worry about getting “pub stomped”, frustrated and leave.

My question is, what should the limits be? 0-10, 0-15, 0-20?

• @Kimiko:

Just so you know, I am going to be creating some “noob friendly” official servers once I get the full access to the multiplay accounts.

So there will be some low rank-only servers for those who’d prefer that and higher ranks will not be allowed in. We won’t be limiting anything beyond that though, but I think this will be a start to help out new players and not have to worry about getting “pub stomped”, frustrated and leave.

Depends how many servers you have to dedicate. At a min

Two servers, one in texas the other in amsterdam 0-20 Classic 32p.
    Got more servers then maybe dedicated TO in some other locations.

Anything more and the low ranks will be split up too much.

Coincide with a steam sale or a free weekend and profit.

• @gregcau:

Depends how many servers you have to dedicate. At a min

Two servers, one in texas the other in amsterdam 0-20 Classic 32p.
    Got more servers then maybe dedicated TO in some other locations.

Anything more and the low ranks will be split up too much.

Coincide with a steam sale or a free weekend and profit.

Well, I definitely don’t want to put up too many if they won’t be used, but I’ll probably start with 2 in the US and 2 in the UK-ish areas and see how those go.

• @Kimiko:

Very pleased to hear that official servers will be setup.

If there isn’t a sale, a single 0-15 Classic server would suffice.

During sale events 2 servers US & 1 server EUR, all set to 0-15. Possibly more servers if the traffic is there, but I think many will choose NOT to play on the low-level servers.