Sprinting

• Hello. Let’s talk about sprinting.

Since sprinting was updated to auto-restart as long as your sprint key is held, there have been a few issues. For example, the ability to spin around and immediately begin sprinting in the opposite direction, and coming out of an MaA dodge with a sprint (significantly increasing the distance of any forward dodge attack). There have been a couple of suggestions to fix these issues separately, but I may have a solution that involves a very slight tweak to sprint.

Currently, if your sprint is interrupted (by turning too quickly, dodging, hitting terrain, taking damage, etc.) your sprint is stopped and immediately restarted. You lose most of your speed and have to rebuild it, but it is still significantly faster than than the old system where you had to repress your sprint key. In the old system you had to walk for a small time while you repressed your key, so it was much slower to turn around and build up speed and, unless you had god-like timing, you could never come out of a dodge attack sprinting.

Basically, I think you accelerate too fast with the current system and there isn’t enough of a movement penalty for performing actions that stop your sprint. Obviously, I don’t want to go back to the old clunky system of repressing keys, but I have a couple of other ideas.

The first idea is to just decrease the acceleration on sprint. It would take more time to build up speed, and you wouldn’t be able to rocket away after doing a 180. However, I’m not a big fan of this idea, because it punishes “legitimate” sprinting. Just going from a walk to a sprint would be slower, and it would affect the balance of the game beyond these few issues (e.g. while using a 1-hander it would be harder to sprint into range and catch someone with a long weapon).

The second idea is to basically simulate a sprint key repress. Performing actions that stop your sprint would put a very small cooldown on your sprint, as if you were required to repress the sprint key. Doing a sharp turn or getting hit would cause you to stop sprinting for a fraction of a second, but wouldn’t require the player to manually repress the sprint key. This way, we don’t have clunky controls but we keep the slightly larger penalties for certain actions.

I would really like to see this tested in the betas (with various sprint delay lengths) if possible.

Any thoughts or further ideas?

• I think these are ideas worth considering. In fact, if you want to add granularity to the system, why not have variation in the amount things slow you down? If you’re sprinting at full speed and take a hit, you lose your sprint. You could lose a percentage of your sprint depending on how sharply you turn. If you swing your weapon, you lose say, 50% of your sprint speed (but no more for subsequent swings/combos).

I would also, personally, like to see a bigger difference between walking and sprinting, however that might cause further problems in other areas (too easy to close in and facehug, etc). IMHO I would prefer slightly slower forward walking speed (make backward speed not so awful), slightly higher sprint speed combined with lower acceleration. If you lost degrees of speed based on the sharpness of your turn it would be interesting.

• Like it all.
    Your own health should also affect your sprint speed. If you’re almost dead, you shouldn’t be able to run flat out.

• AoC solved the always sprint problem by removing sprint on parries (which has already been suggested by another forum member in another thread) and attacks ending (which would translate into starting combos and upon returning to idle after recoveries). Starting a combo actually used to take you out of sprint; I’m not sure when that disappeared, but I know for a fact it did exist because it was specifically added to guard against this exact situation so you couldn’t just run around spamming left click with the only option of slowing you being to take damage. Sprinting was only ever supposed to be a travel and engage mechanic, as opposed to something you can just press and leave on constantly so you get artificial speed boosts throughout an entire fight, which ended up being exacerbated when we didn’t have to re-press at any time, and the game instantly sped us up when we could sprint again.

The other thing to consider is the way sprinting actually functions right now. In Age of Chivalry, hitting the sprint key slowly ramped you up from walk speed to sprint speed. In Chivalry, hitting the sprint key instantly boosts your speed by adding either 50% or 75% (can’t remember the exact number, it’s one or the other or in between) of the difference between walk and total sprint speed to your current speed, and then ramps you up to max sprint speed over I believe, 2 seconds.

• Sprinting should definitely only be a travel/chase mechanic.

@Martin:

Starting a combo actually used to take you out of sprint; I’m not sure when that disappeared, but I know for a fact it did exist because it was specifically added to guard against this exact situation so you couldn’t just run around spamming left click with the only option of slowing you being to take damage. Sprinting was only ever supposed to be a travel and engage mechanic, as opposed to something you can just press and leave on constantly so you get artificial speed boosts throughout an entire fight, which ended up being exacerbated when we didn’t have to re-press at any time, and the game instantly sped us up when we could sprint again.

So why did it get removed? I don’t like the current meta with sprinting all the time being somewhat of a necessity…

• I think it would be too much to ask for significant changes to the way sprint is used currently. As I said, it could result in making it much harder to get into range of a pole-arm user with a 1 handed weapon. Having said that, maybe that will turn out to be a good thing, but it will certainly be quite different.

I think in the short term, we should think about making the auto-sprint less exploitable in a way that we already know works (delay while repressing sprint key), then decide if more changes are needed.

Personally, I don’t mind the way sprinting is virtually always used at the moment, but I do think it should be easier to force your enemy to stand their ground, and letting people have a permanent speed boost no matter how erratic their movements are does not help with this at all.

• @Falc:

I don’t like the current meta with sprinting all the time being somewhat of a necessity…

@NabsterHax:

Personally, I don’t mind the way sprinting is virtually always used at the moment, but I do think it should be easier to force your enemy to stand their ground, and letting people have a permanent speed boost no matter how erratic their movements are does not help with this at all.

I personally like how significant movement is now. The best disadvantage to sprinting is not recovering. I do sprint quite often when fighting, but not all the time. More often then not I start sprinting during an opening or to evade an attack. Sometimes I use it to run loops on the enemy during a flinch. But a large portion of the time I fight people, I’m trying to figure out how many hits I can take and how much stamina I need to kill the other player. During this, I have to play catch up and not sprint. It’s a very good tactic I think to not always use sprint. That way your movement seems accelerated when you actually do sprint, letting you whip around them during an opening much faster than they’re prepared to handle. Obviously some players will always use sprint, but I don’t see it as a smart move.

• It would be cool to have sprinting being only a better acceleration over walking, so your speed increase from walking to sprinting woud be continuous.

• @Martin:

AoC solved the always sprint problem by removing sprint on parries (which has already been suggested by another forum member in another thread) and attacks ending (which would translate into starting combos and upon returning to idle after recoveries). Starting a combo actually used to take you out of sprint; I’m not sure when that disappeared, but I know for a fact it did exist because it was specifically added to guard against this exact situation so you couldn’t just run around spamming left click with the only option of slowing you being to take damage. Sprinting was only ever supposed to be a travel and engage mechanic, as opposed to something you can just press and leave on constantly so you get artificial speed boosts throughout an entire fight, which ended up being exacerbated when we didn’t have to re-press at any time, and the game instantly sped us up when we could sprint again.

The other thing to consider is the way sprinting actually functions right now. In Age of Chivalry, hitting the sprint key slowly ramped you up from walk speed to sprint speed. In Chivalry, hitting the sprint key instantly boosts your speed by adding either 50% or 75% (can’t remember the exact number, it’s one or the other or in between) of the difference between walk and total sprint speed to your current speed, and then ramps you up to max sprint speed over I believe, 2 seconds.

This. All of this.
    Sprinting is a Travelling and Engaging mechanic. Whilst Walking is the Default speed.

In the games current form, Sprint is…
    a Travelling, Engaging, Dodging, Stamina by-passing, Group counter, and the Default speed.
    Stamina by-pass - If your plan on defense is focused upon avoiding blows… lack of stamina is of little concern.
    Group counter - One is more reliably able to tackle on multiple assailants with so much speed and movement.
    Default Speed - I have no need for walk. It is rarely used. It is only activated a small amount of time to allow me to keep on moving whilst I heal. It’s near redundant. What’s the point of even having a ‘button’ to activate sprint. Just let me do it as default and give me a button to activate Walk instead.

With what Martin has said, I’m confident and hopeful Sprint will be revised. I do not believe what I and some players are able to achieve… to be in the spirit of what the Devs intentioned. In short… nerf sprint :D

• @g0dLyk:

With what Martin has said, I’m confident and hopeful Sprint will be revised. I do not believe what I and some players are able to achieve… to be in the spirit of what the Devs intentioned. In short… nerf sprint :D

Let’s hope so…I can’t stand seeing 10 people sprinting in circles around each other anymore…looks so wrong :/

• @NabsterHax:

I think it would be too much to ask for significant changes to the way sprint is used currently. As I said, it could result in making it much harder to get into range of a pole-arm user with a 1 handed weapon. Having said that, maybe that will turn out to be a good thing, but it will certainly be quite different.

I don’t think this would be such a problem. As it is now, it’s too easy to get inside and is half the cause of the facehugging problems. It’s pretty damn hard to keep enemies at range in the current system.

• @Falc:

looks so wrong :/

But it feels so right. ;)

• No it feels wrong, too :D

• i don’t use sprint-toggle, but what i thought was supposed to happen was if i was already sprinting, then say i get stuck or flinched or something by say a projectile or attack, but was still holding sprint, i would start sprinting again…

however, what tends to happen still is that i still have to like double tap or get my sprint to re-register when this happens, which can be annoying… especially at those times like i said when you get hit and flinched by a projectile, and need to start sprinting again quickly to get the hell out of the way of more of them lol