How to Counter Kiting?

• Hi!

This post contains 2 questions and a complaint.

1. How do you kill vanguards with long reach weapons that are sprinting away from you, windup whilst sprinting away, and quickly turn around to stab you, then continue sprinting away? If you’re a knight, it seems impossible to hunt him down.

2. How do you kill MAA that dodge your swing and then sprint towards you and stab you while you’re recovering (before you can parry)?

Finally, is it just me or do these tactic (especially the first one) seem a bit overpowered? The fact that I can’t for the life of me even understand, yet alone pull off, how to counter this says something.

• Shields can be useful in either scenario. Kicks also. If someone is enticing you to chase them stay back a bit so that can’t pivot and attack so easily.
    If it’s a vanguard who pivots and charges, run towards them as soon as you hear the yell. They’ll charge right by you and you’ll be behind them with a weapon in your hand. :D

• I’ve found recently I can easily tip the balance of a battle by getting a block in, and following up by a counter. So, practice will allow you to parry the more tricky stabs/swings.

As for MAA, there’s pretty much nothing you can do if they’re fast enough to dodge and then hit you again during your swing. Don’t start panic blocking, and maybe try to entice them into wasting dodges by acting aggressively. I myself enjoy simply sprinting at someone and standing there until they parry, but perhaps you could try some feigns and then track to where they dodge in a second swing.

It’s pretty much a skill based game (ignoring archers…) so coming up with tactics like these isn’t really OP, I guess. You just need to practice and notice holes in their tactics.

• For the first one, all you need to do is to keep your distance from him. If he starts sprinting away, leave a good few metres so if he does turn and stab, you can attack him whilst he is recovering from his attack.

• @Matti:

For the first one, all you need to do is to keep your distance from him. If he starts sprinting away, leave a good few metres so if he does turn and stab, you can attack him whilst he is recovering from his attack.

Pretty much the best way to do it, only other option is if you start after him right away. So either stay with and hit them before they can turn or if you don’t realize it soon enough just wait.

Against the MaA there are two options; dragging the attack can sometimes fool them into dodging/running in too soon or allow you to close a bit more distance, otherwise feint. Either feint out of the attack that they are avoiding or after they have avoided it exploit your way out of recovery by starting a combo and feinting then.

• Yeah kiting is the best counter for kiting. When you are both sprinting in circles back to each other it comes down to the person with the best timing, ideally forcing their opponent to miss.

Remember MAAs can’t dodge at angles and they have to stop sprinting to do it so kiting again makes it hard for them to judge the distance to attack and if you can force a lot of dodges they will burn through their stamina and are dead meat at that point.

• @bagetti:

2. How do you kill MAA that dodge your swing and then sprint towards you and stab you while you’re recovering (before you can parry)?

Matti has got your first point covered pretty well, so I’ll address your 2nd one.

Unless you’re using a really long weapon, make sure you’re close enough so that the MAA cannot dodge out of range before you swing. If your opponent dodges, immediately back-step (or if you’re very sure he’ll dodge, move back slightly before he does) and combo another swing. When he sprints in he’ll be in for a surprise.

A good way to close in on an MAA you’re sure will dodge around is to feint him on your approach. Timed correctly, he’ll be hit by your 2nd swing if he back-dodges, or if he tries to hit you before you feint, you can simply drop the feint and hit-trade him. Given his lower health, he’ll have to withdraw or get killed.

• When you parry and he turns around to kite, immediatly start sprinting after him while looking at him for chase mode, then when he turns around again for a stab / slash whatever stab him in the back. Easy.

• Parry combo thrust, feint attack into slash, keep pressing him backward so that he can’t afford to turn around, or backpedal early and get him to miss his blind swing.

• @ the Maa question:

Always combo, that way you can feint and bypass your recovery time, or if he gets greedy, you can hit him with your combo swings.

• For MAAs, always switch to your secondary. Then, you want to either:

A) Miss on purpose, but combo another swing. A lot of the time, they will sprint/dodge forward right into your swing.

B) Riposte their attacks. Since you’re using your secondary, these will come very quickly (especially stabs) and lots of people wont see it coming or be able to react in time.

• Global Moderator

With kiting just stand still. They will run away and look stupid stabbing the air. Laugh at them and they probably won’t do it again to you unless they are really stupid.

You can also keep behind them but well out of range. When they spin around an swing ku rush foward and stab them and usually you get the hit.

With MAAs do what mechapope said. Swing and miss hen combo into a stab as they will rush onwards you with your miss an catch a sword to the face. Swapping to your secondary helps a lot too.

• @lemonater47:

With kiting just stand still. They will run away and look stupid stabbing the air. Laugh at them and they probably won’t do it again to you unless they are really stupid.

I unilaterally declare this the winner. Thread is over.