New TO Maps designed for tactical gameplay

• All most all the TO objectives require the same sort of brute force to complete them. Clear the defenders and push the cart, light the pyre, fire the ballista, etc. Perhaps Citadel is slightly different with the slaves and cages because there is more opportunity for a sneaky flanker to get objectives. Ballista on Hillside has a little with the option of the lower ballista. Protecting the king probably has the highest tactical value though it is the king who controls it.

This is per the design, which is effectively to herd the players into an area of conflict where large battles can take place. But I think we need a new class of maps which still have lots of fighting but where a smart team can do just as well as a team of high ranked killers.

How? I am not sure yet, so hoping to get some ideas for when the mod tools come out and we can build something to match.

I would like to see something which rewards individual efforts more than just a high number of kills. LTS is one of the most rewarding game modes, but the downtime for someone killed early is too long. TDM uses the concept of limited resources but really no-one cares how much they die and it is never very satisfying if you win or not.

So how to implement strategy and still keep the intense battles. Some basic concepts might be

Communication

Traps

Resources

Terrain

More interactivity

Multi-objective planning

Need more ideas that could be implemented into a mod

• Maybe some maps could have areas of concealment, i.e. dense shrubbery to hide an ambush. Like maybe a group of archers could harass the enemy from slightly far but not so far that the enemy won’t come try to kill them. Then, as the enemy takes the bait, the archers’ teammates will attack from both sides after having been hidden in concealment to get rid of that enemy group. Though this would rely more on the players themselves.

• Great thread… I agree with the general thought that tactics are currently limited. Will think of some ideas and try to share (although cant guarentee !) :)

• Yes! I am always in for more tactical options :D
    Maybe some maps could have ‘hidden’ paths to get from one objective to another unseen (if the enemy does not discover it too of course :D )

• @Woodzi:

Yes! I am always in for more tactical options :D
    Maybe some maps could have ‘hidden’ paths to get from one objective to another unseen (if the enemy does not discover it too of course :D )

I am not sure if it is a brain fart, or whether the challenge is too hard. But tactical can extend the life of the product a lot. But I just cant seem to come up with unique ideas to address it. Must be the drugs and alcohol.

• Here is a topic where I describe an idea for a new TO map: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11554

What I suggest is indeed to add more depth into the objectives, by adding ways to achieve them faster for the attackers or on the contrary to delay attackers’ advance. Feedback welcome =)

• @Asmon:

What I suggest is indeed to add more depth into the objectives, by adding ways to achieve them faster for the attackers or on the contrary to delay attackers’ advance. Feedback welcome =)

Hmm yeh, that reminds me of the optional objectives like AoC used to have. Destroying the backup water supply or something similar on darkforest was one IIRC. There used to be secret paths that you could open from the other side, meaning you could sneak around the back. It would be cool to see some optional objectives in future maps.

• Yea unfortunately now Team Objective is really just who kills the best. It would be nice to have reasons to split up your forces into smaller units to complete different objectives