Why this game seems so hard?

• Hello everyone, i’m an italian player so apologize me for my bad english :C

I’m playing this game since a week or less but sometimes weird things happens to me, like when i’m using a faster weapon than my opponent (like norse sword vs maul) we start attack together at the same time but i got killed without even hittin him :|

I really enjoy this game, i can kill people (and some people seems untouchable but it’s only skill i think) but i didnt realize the mechanic of this game…correct me if i’m wrong but when u use a faster weapon than your opponent u should hit him before than he does right? Or it’s better parry/dodge and counterattack? I’m a rusher in every game that i play (in this game i love MAA) and this thing is killing me because i’ve to wait the opponent move and even if i do that there’s a chance that he’ll feint and hit me -.-’

So any tips for a poor man-at-arms that die a lot even against slower opponent?

• It takes quite a lot of hours before you understand whether a weapon is going to hit you or not. Through hours of gameplay you can start to judge whether the momentum of their movement, plus yours plus the windup of their weapon and whether it is an overhead/slash is going to hit you.

If it is going to hit you obviously you need to parry. Sure a feint might get you so you wait until the last moment to parry - however you have to take a little lag into consideration too.

By mouse dragging or looking down with an overhead you can speed up an otherwise slower weapon. By parrying and do a combo you can strike faster too.

Its all experience. TO is not the best place to learn the intricacies because its too easy to be hit by someone else. Duels will help the most. Watch how your opponents move and strike.

Feinting, a couple of bugs and understanding all the tactics make the game even harder.

• this is kind of a general discussion kind of post, this area is for people that actually have a video or written tutorial for things, and then you can follow up underneath. I would recommend to either read through the tutorials and watch videos for what you want, or to ask in general discussion or somewhere more appropriate.

• Hey - its a very hard game! :).

But listen, I originally was playing the game with just a random brand £20 laser mouse, got killed a lot etc etc. Assumed I was just rubbish. A certain ineffable feline villain sabotaged it, and unwittingly paved the way for my enormous success: I bought a £6.99 microsoft ready optical mouse emergency replacement, which I have found to be amazing, and I kid you not - i’ve gone from something like 70 wins and 80 losses…… to 300 wins and 150 losses there about since, in duels.

The game requires a lot of skill, but for me the mouse made a big difference too. Maybe its worth a try, im not joking.

• Global Moderator

Hey my mouse is the standard Microsoft laser mouse. It was made when people though beige was cool for computers. But I’m so used to using the damn thing I don’t find it a hindrance.

I bought the game on release so we were pretty much all noobs back then. Also back then there were a ton of deliberate teamkillers. But that was more of a novelty and that died off quickly. By we all grew and found out skills all at the same rate. Us long time players can see a wide range of different playstyles that people have and many of us can counter those playstyles.

MAA is the hardest class for new players. And its the slower weapons like the zweihander or the maul that are tricky to counter as it all depends on the angle you two are to each other and if the other players turns with the mouse or not.

I don’t know how long it takes for a new player to learn the game. But this game is easy to forget and it takes a few days to he good at it again when you haven’t played for a while.

• Thanks guys, i’m gonna watchin tutorials one youtube :)

• Try These:

Shara’s really helped me get started in my first week… i always try to watch tutorials before i start getting serious with a game, because it gets you ahead of those that don’t know the basics. Then start trying the advanced stuff. There’s a lot more, the first 2 were made a while ago so you’ll have to adjust according to new patch, etc… but everything should go mostly back to normal after the next patch which should be soon.

[youtubehd:3e2wm2op]tfpsoBX3EDk[/youtubehd:3e2wm2op]

[youtubehd:3e2wm2op]llnRxtazljg[/youtubehd:3e2wm2op]

[youtubehd:3e2wm2op]C2XdGt87SHs[/youtubehd:3e2wm2op]

• There’s alot more to weapon than just overall weapon speed. Certain attacks are faster/slower than others with the same weapon. Also mouse dragging and accelerating will change your weapons movement after release. Also since the differences in speeds of weapons are very small 0.3 0.4 0.5 seconds etc… it’s hard to gauge these differences in real time when you are new to the game. I say it all starts to click around Rank 20+ or so.

• @gregcau:

…TO is not the best place to learn the intricacies because its too easy to be hit by someone else. Duels will help the most…

I disagree with that. Currently duel servers are nothing more than a wretched hive of scum and villainy; if you want to get high blood pressure and fight against an endless tide of facehugging shield knights they’re a good place to play, but otherwise they can be pretty soul destroying. Old school duel server are much better places to learn, people will actually help you there and not just say ‘EZ’ after having feint spammed you to death with a noob hammer while you were stuck on scenery. FFA is also a good place to face a mix of loadouts and learn timings and range.

• Global Moderator

@Harry:

@gregcau:

…TO is not the best place to learn the intricacies because its too easy to be hit by someone else. Duels will help the most…

I disagree with that. Currently duel servers are nothing more than a wretched hive of scum and villainy; if you want to get high blood pressure and fight against an endless tide of facehugging shield knights they’re a good place to play, but otherwise they can be pretty soul destroying. Old school duel server are much better places to learn, people will actually help you there and not just say ‘EZ’ after having feint spammed you to death with a noob hammer while you were stuck on scenery. FFA is also a good place to face a mix of loadouts and learn timings and range.

Duels isn’t a place to practice at all as everyone plays differently than any other game mode. FFA would be a better place to practice instead of duels.

• Just play retro duel mode tons, that’s how I got better when I first started off.

• play the game casually until they fix the core game, otherwise the more you play, the worse the game seems. But if you just play ffa or something it doesn’t matter how broken the core mechanics are.

• @Harry:

@gregcau:

This, a million times over. Find a classic/retro duel server - just look for a server with “duel” in the name with the FFA game mode. You’ll be able to practice and experiment in ways that are inappropriate for the duel mode, and you’ll find people willing to help you learn the basics. They have more of a training/practice yard feel to them. This is where you go to get better at the game.

I’d suggest learning vanguard first, then knight, then MaA (and then archer if you’re inclined). MaA is tricky - the number of mistakes you can make before your head gets shaved off or flattened into a pancake is small, and you need to get close and personal with opponents that have superior range, damage, and HP. Makes learning difficult.

• @Harry:

I disagree with that. Currently duel servers are nothing more than a wretched hive of scum and villainy; if you want to get high blood pressure and fight against an endless tide of facehugging shield knights they’re a good place to play, but otherwise they can be pretty soul destroying.

Yeah its unfortunate, its what happens when the bugs are not fixed, eventually word gets around and becomes common knowledge.

Its refreshing when you fight someone and have a good sword exchange back and forth until someone makes a mistake. Clash of steel, chivalrously not feinting, facehugging, exploiting.

It then becomes a completely different game.

• @gregcau:

@Harry:

I disagree with that. Currently duel servers are nothing more than a wretched hive of scum and villainy; if you want to get high blood pressure and fight against an endless tide of facehugging shield knights they’re a good place to play, but otherwise they can be pretty soul destroying.

Yeah its unfortunate, its what happens when the bugs are not fixed, eventually word gets around and becomes common knowledge.

Its refreshing when you fight someone and have a good sword exchange back and forth until someone makes a mistake. Clash of steel, chivalrously not feinting, facehugging, exploiting.

It then becomes a completely different game.

This is what I would like to see: swords clashing, knights roaring, death-screaming. A true medieval battle experience where 1on1 fights can take a while. Feints have kinda killed that for me once I got into this game. Now it’s whoever-feints-first-gets-a-5-second-victory battles. I still do not think feints are a necessity for game balance because movement and mouse dragging can achieve the same thing: getting aroung shields & parries

• @ToSmithereens:

So any tips for a poor man-at-arms that die a lot even against slower opponent?

Practice, everyone starts somewhere and it’s never at the top.