Suggestion: Accelerating health regeneration

• I suggest that acceleration is added to health regeneration, which currently happens at a constant rate. This rate was made lower in a patch some time ago, and while it solved the problem of mid-fight regeneration, it also made the post-fight recovery time much longer. Slow recovery leads to more erratic gameplay, since a lot of players are too impatient to wait for their health to slowly crawl back up and just run to the next fight with little hope of staying alive. Still, staying alive is much more satisfying than constantly dying and respawning. I think the game should encourage this type of gameplay. I also find it somewhat counter-intuitive that dying is sometimes the quickest way to recover health.

Accelerating health regeneration would be an easy solution, that still avoids the problem of mid-fight recovery. It would also help to alleviate the frustration caused by team damage. Team damage is something that you cannot control, but still happens in most group fights. Waiting for a bar to fill is not fun gameplay, especially if this bar is made empty by someone else’s mistake.

• I think it should be increased in TO only. LTS and TDM, I think it’s fine. Every hit you take matters and you use teamwork to protect those hurt players. And when it’s 3v1 at the end but the 3 are hurt, it gives the 1 a chance to be swift and take them down.

But in TO - it’s silly. Your point exactly… you win a fight but are almost dead… depending on where you are it is sometimes better to go run off and die. Death should never be the best tactic.

I would support increasing regen rate in TO.

• I don’t think that the core gameplay mechanics should be game mode dependent. I do think that every hit should matter in an engagement, but not that much between two separate engagements. Currently, players often recover some health during fights, even in a 1 vs 1 situation. Also, in LTS and TDM, recovering wouldn’t necessarily be easier if the initial regeneration rate would be lower than what it currently is, so that hanging back for a few seconds would not help you as much. The fights would not be any less tactical, in fact attacking/protecting the wounded players before the accelerating regen really kicks would be an interesting gameplay mechanic in prolonged engagements. It would also make helping other players more meaningful in public games, since protecting them from any hits for short time would have a big effect.

• @Ismo:

I also find it somewhat counter-intuitive that dying is sometimes the quickest way to recover health.

Make a “heal” button. When you press it, your character crouches and looks to the ground. This way you are completely still, you can’t look around but you regain health at a much faster pace.

Eh?

• @bagetti:

Make a “heal” button. When you press it, your character crouches and looks to the ground. This way you are completely still, you can’t look around but you regain health at a much faster pace.

Eh?

Why not. This would change the flow of the game much more than the accelerating regeneration. People on the attacking team would be constantly running back to find cover and heal. More players would choose to play archer, as there would be more stationary low health targets to pick on.

Besides these issues, I still prefer accelerating health regeneration. It makes the gameplay more fluid, since you can heal while walking / looking around. You can plan your next move and start positioning yourself while healing. Looking at the ground and waiting for a bar to fill is not as much fun.

Accelerating health regeneration would also be much easier to implement and would cause very little balance issues if the acceleration was kept small. Still, cutting as little as 5 seconds from full recovery time would add up and make the game more fun.

• @bagetti:

@Ismo:

I also find it somewhat counter-intuitive that dying is sometimes the quickest way to recover health.

Eh?

This could be nice. It would need to be so that you are disable for a minimum duration (I’d suggest at least 3s) so people cannot abuse it, and any hit you take should take you out of it. Also how long would it take to get your whole health back with this? Less than 10s would make it OP in my opinion.

• That remind me of bandage suggestion

• I don’t like it to be honest. I like the way the health regeneration works at the moment, not too fast and not too slow in my opinion.

• Easy way to fix this.

Don’t get hit.

• If you are defending the trebuchet and I get you down to one heartbeat but you kill me, I do not want my teams to have you at full health due to accelerated health regeneration. It would just further unbalance teams.

• I don’t think I agree with accelerated health regeneration. With how short the health regeneration delay is right now, running away like a pansy could easily exploit that. I do, however, want to be able to regenerate more quickly between fights. So I propose a secondary topic within this topic: alternative ways to increase health regeneration other than lowering initial health regeneration speed but increasing it as you regenerate for longer.

My ideas:
    Standing still and crouching increasing health regeneration speed by 25%. Sort of like how crouching increases stamina regeneration, but you also have to be standing still. But make it so you can’t speed up regeneration if you’ve been hit by an enemy or blocked an enemy attack within the last 15 seconds without killing an enemy; that way you cannot use this in a combat scenario without running away from the battle (which is hard if the battle follows you, such as in LTS or a 1v1 skirmish within TDM), finishing the fight, evading your opponent for 15 seconds (if you can avoid being hit by enemies without blocking their attacks for 15 seconds, you deserve that regeneration) or killing your enemy’s buddy.

Returning the original 7 second delay before regenerating health, but doubling the regeneration rate. This would make regenerating during a battle a bit harder (though more rewarding if pulled off), but greatly increase the speed at which you regenerate outside of battle while walking to the next fight, or cowering behind a palisade.

Bandages. A new special third slot equipment available to every class would be one bandage bundle, good for one use. Vanguards always have one bandage bundle, but can get a second through equipment. Bandaging oneself would sheath your weapon and then restrict you to a brisk walking pace (25% slower than your class’ normal walking speed) for 9 seconds (if you stand still it triples the bandaging rate, allowing as little as 3 seconds if you stand still the whole time) as your character plays an animation where he wraps one of his arms with some bandages. Getting hit would interrupt this process. Successfully bandaging oneself will heal 25 health, start health regeneration (if it is not already active) and accelerate health regeneration by 50% for 10 seconds. But! There would also be a “bandage teammate” button (which is why I think vanguard should get one by default, to make them more supportive (their name is “vanguard”, after all)). Bandaging a teammate would immobilize you both for 4 seconds. Your target can still attack and parry normally, but will lengthen the process if hit or holding up a shield (as long as 8 seconds to bandage if hit, as long as 6 for holding up a shield), and you are helpless and will get interrupted if hit. Successfully bandaging a teammate will restore 50 health, start their health regeneration (again, if it is not already active) and give them 50% faster health regeneration for 10 seconds. King Feydrid would be unable to be bandaged for balance reasons. I think Lord Malric should be able to be bandaged, because he is harder to defend effectively. While each bandage bundle is good for one use, as previously stated, you can get more bandages from supply chests. This one is my personal favorite, because it could strengthen teamwork and promote support, and maybe even semi-dedicated support units.

Adrenaline. This is actually the most simple idea(idea-wise, not necessarily code-wise): Killing an enemy either grants 50% health regeneration for ten seconds, increases health by 20 points, or both with lessened values (25% regeneration and 10 point increase). Maybe even allow the player to choose which one they’d like to use in the options? The 50% speed health regeneration would be separate from actual (100% speed) health regeneration. That means that walking away from a victorious fight could net you bonus health regeneration, or you could have temporary half (or quarter) speed health regeneration during the middle of a large fight. With the flat increase, killing multiple opponents in a row could make you unstoppable by healing your wounds with every opponent you fell. With the mix, things are a little more interesting: if you kill an opponent and then take damage, you still have some 25% speed health regeneration; if you kill an opponent while damaged, you don’t get healed that much up front, but you also passively rejuvenate for a little bit as well, which heals you more in the long run. I don’t personally like this one too much. But hey, ideas are ideas and ideas are good.

• @lemonater47:

Easy way to fix this.

Don’t get hit.

smartest answer ive seen in a long while.

• @gregcau:

If you are defending the trebuchet and I get you down to one heartbeat but you kill me, I do not want my teams to have you at full health due to accelerated health regeneration. It would just further unbalance teams.

If the 0 % – 100 % recovery time is too long compared to the time it takes to respawn, it is actually better for your team if you leave the defenders at 1 % health than to kill them and have them respawn with full health.

@Ramare:

I don’t think I agree with accelerated health regeneration. With how short the health regeneration delay is right now, running away like a pansy could easily exploit that. I do, however, want to be able to regenerate more quickly between fights.

It seems that I should have been more clear on what I meant by accelerating health regeneration, since people are confusing it with overall accelerated health generation.

Accelerating health regeneration means that your regeneration rate increases a function of time. What I suggest is not a large change of overall regeneration rate. Instead, I suggest that regenerating from 0 % – 50 % should take around the same time as it does currently. However, regenerating the remaining 50 % – 100 % would take a shorter time. This would decrease the full 0 % – 100 % recovery time by let’s say 5 s – 10 s. This way it would be smarter to try and stay alive than to suicide and respawn, which is a bad mechanic. The artificial seven second wait before regeneration starts could be removed. Instead, the regeneration would start immediately, but the initial rate would be so low that the first tick would happen only after seven seconds. Currently, to have a fast recovery, it is possible to first sprint for seven seconds and then start walking and regenerating, which is a bit unintuitive and can be exploited by e.g. archers.

• Nice Post…… :) :)

Massage Sedona |Psychic Reading

• Oh, I think I see what you meant by accelerated regeneration now. I thought you were saying that once regeneration starts, it starts out a bit slower, but linearly starts recovering more and more health in the same amount of time until you hit full health.

In case I wasn’t clear, I thought you meant that they should add in a system that basically acts like this:

You just started regenerating. In one second you only recover 3 health.
    You’ve been regenerating for five seconds. In one second you recover 5.5 health.
    You’ve been regenerating for ten seconds. In one second you recover 8 health.
    And so on. With this system you could recover from 0 to full in around 15 seconds, not counting the delay.

Actually, now that I put that on paper (so to speak), it doesn’t sound as bad as I thought. You recover 3 health per second when you start regenerating, and the regeneration rate increases by half a point every second? That might be more balanced than the linear point regeneration that we currently have, along with feeling more polished because it’s a slower but even constant increase rather than a larger but sudden clunky addition.

Hmm…Perhaps this is actually a good system. It would probably need some additional tuning and input, though.