TK solution: Mirror damage Poll

• Hey,

I was reading the other thread about TK being a problem and in the discussion came up the topic of “mirror damage”, or reflected damaging.

In effect, (like War of the Roses), the damage you inflict upon a teammate would come back to you instead of them. They would still flinch from the hit, but take no damage. You would in turn receive the damage and even die by your own attack.

This can be tweaked in many ways such as:

Having the reflected damage be a portion of actual damage caused (if found to be too harsh).

Having the hit apply only in some circumstances.

Bear in mind there are disadvantages such as:

People standing in your way so that you can hit them. Although this is already a problem for abusive teammates who kick you so that you hit them back and then votekick you based on your damage.

I personally agree with it since day one. I think it would solve a lot of the TK grief that happens all too often in pubs. I also think that it generally teaches new players to be better, as they would be cautious when they horizontal swing/aim with their bows.

What do you think?

• i think it just gives idiots a new way to troll people.
    They run in front of your swing and YOU get punished for it.
    It also takes away some realism (less important, but still)

This can also be negative for your team.
    If one can die because of reflective damage,two people will die for one fool running in front of an attack.

• I think all official servers need to have tk damage on, turned to 50%, and autokick tkers/afks.

That being said i’m always in favor of more options for server operators, and mirror damage is a good way of dealing with tks.

Mirror damage can lead to another kind of trolling, where people purposely jump in front of your swings, and you are harmed by their stupidity. It eliminates some forms of trolling and creates others.

How would mirror damage deal with archers? It would be weird to see them dropping dead from shooting a team mate. Or like, firepots. Its certainly a bit counter intuitive. It makes sense to me that if i hit a team mate it damages them, and if i hit too many team mates i will be autokicked. It doesnt necessarily make sense to me that if i hit a team mate i’ll take damage, nor does that idea ‘feel’ right. imo

• Mirror damage is not the solution.

• oh never mind, read too fast.

• I initially thought it was a good idea until I read that your idea requires all of the damage to be reflected, rather than some or half.

Personally, I would like to see the option for reduced team damage. How far reduced I don’t know. I like the current system because it encourages spatial awareness and is realistic - reducing the team damage won’t change this but should alleviate the frustrations felt due to LMB spam.

With that said, more server-side options is always a good thing.

• It’s a decent idea… but not for this game.

This game is meant to be very immersive. The combat is supposed to act out like real combat. Giving everyone magical damage mirror skin breaks that immersion. It also doesn’t solve the problem; why should I die when the archer on my team accidentally runs into my swung sword?

• @RushSecond:

It’s a decent idea… but not for this game.

This game is meant to be very immersive. The combat is supposed to act out like real combat. Giving everyone magical damage mirror skin breaks that immersion. It also doesn’t solve the problem; why should I die when the archer on my team accidentally runs into my swung sword?

Gameplay over realism anytime.

• I think it’s a good idea to implement as an option on the server side, and the admin can choose the percentage of damage reflected.

• as others have said they just need auto kick with common sense attached

or donkey head :D
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10205

• NO NO NO NO GOD NO. How do you deal with tking? Suck it up and accept it when it’s an accident, vk the shit out of them when it’s on purpose. Also, don’t clusterfuck with teammates… Spread out. I don’t have much problem with tking unless I try to be a team player… I just do my own thing elsewhere and I am just fine.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.