Fake Counter-attack

• We know that counter-attacks (attacking just as you parry) aren’t feintable, but sometimes the game decides to show part of a windup for this counter-attack even if the other player isn’t counter-attacking, as shown here (~9 seconds in, his ping was hovering around 90ms while mine was around 40ms):
    a50feRmtd8M
    I noticed this seems to happen more often with some people than others, it happens a lot with one of my friends so we just duelled until it popped up as I don’t know how to reproduce it. He didn’t try to counter-attack, yet the animation looks like a stab counter-attack, so I try to parry it and then sad times :(
    Since I don’t know how it happens, I don’t what advice to give him to make it happen less and I don’t think it’s too random, as I said, because it happens more often with some people, but by no fault of their own

• That’s the good ol “Ghostswing”.

• @wildwulfy:

That’s the good ol “Ghostswing”.

Seems like it, it’s also hilariously easy to reproduce after a bit of testing

• Yeah, MarkedOne figured out a way to reproduce counter-attack ghost swings too.

• Are we talking about desyncs?

• reported this ages ago, happens when you try to counterattack in the parry before its really possible to counter ;)

• The competitive scene should really be ashamed. Last week on a duel server I was getting raped by clan players exploiting ghost-swings, parry ghost swings and alt-attack bug. Normally it happens from time to time, mostly quite seldom really, but I got 1 or 2 of these in every f*****g duel.

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

The competitive scene should really be ashamed. Last week on a duel server I was getting raped by clan players exploiting ghost-swings, parry ghost swings and alt-attack bug. Normally it happens from time to time, mostly quite seldom really, but I got 1 or 2 of these in every f*****g duel.

While I don’t doubt that some people do this intentionally, ghost and parry ghost swings can occur from some players a lot due to habits they’ve formed in their inputs and they are completely unaware it happens since it looks perfectly normal on their screen

• @Josh:

While I don’t doubt that some people do this intentionally, ghost and parry ghost swings can occur from some players a lot due to habits they’ve formed in their inputs and they are completely unaware it happens since it looks perfectly normal on their screen

^^^ This

Then there are scumbags like Elishar who blame ‘exploiters’ when the majority of the problem is in the code itself, and not the player’s fault.

• Most players don’t notice when they do it, but it comes from queueing up an attack right before their weapon connects with your parry, regardless of if a counter is used. It will either show the fake animation with no counter attack, then the real one comes, or sometimes it will blend the animations together and show you an early attack while the enemy is really attacking later. If the attacker combos off the blended animation with a fast weapon, it seems to give the weapon enough time to go to idle, so if combo’d the next swing will more than likely be an invisible swing to the defender, as the animations don’t sync and shows him returning to idle while he is actually swinging.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Josh:

^^^ This

Then there are scumbags like Elishar who blame ‘exploiters’ when the majority of the problem is in the code itself, and not the player’s fault.

Well… wen it happens for the first time, it’s annoying, but ok. When it happens for the second time… the same. When it happens for the 25th time on the same server mainly with people having a clan prefix in their name, one kinda can’t not get suspicious.

Anyhow… it is kinda natural it happens because while I am certainly one of the best duelists, I tend not to be bad either, and here I was completely outclassed - so I guess if this happens to other higher level people, they tell themselves “what the heck” and learn to use the exploits themselves just to remain competitive.

• You swapped the authors of the quotes, just wanted to point that out :D

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

Well… wen it happens for the first time, it’s annoying, but ok. When it happens for the second time… the same. When it happens for the 25th time on the same server mainly with people having a clan prefix in their name, one kinda can’t not get suspicious.

Anyhow… it is kinda natural it happens because while I am certainly one of the best duelists, I tend not to be bad either, and here I was completely outclassed - so I guess if this happens to other higher level people, they tell themselves “what the heck” and learn to use the exploits themselves just to remain competitive.

Do you understand how habits work? People can develop habitual playstyles without realising that it includes an exploit. Just because someone repeats an action over and over, doesn’t mean they understand what they’re doing is a bad habit.

I get the general feeling that you think good players are only good because they cheat, anyway. Unless you grow out of that mentality, you will continue to be outclassed. Maybe in future focus on the moves they are making that you don’t consider exploits, rather than blaming an entire series of losses on them.

• This needs to be in the hotfix, because if it’s as easy as crushed says it is, it’s going to spread like wildfire :D (not just in comp, but in pubs too)

[image:2uvya6kh]http://www.digital-digest.com/blog/DVDGuy/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/game_of_thrones_wildfire.jpg[/image:2uvya6kh]

• @NabsterHax:

Do you understand how habits work? People can develop habitual playstyles without realising that it includes an exploit.

I can understand it happening to 10 % of people on a high level duel server, but 90 % is no coincidence. I am willing to admit though that it is possible it was not a matter of intention but rather that of evolution… those that could replicate the bugs one way or another did not feel half as much frustrated and kept playing on the duel server while others left.

I get the general feeling that you think good players are only good because they cheat, anyway.

I have never said they were good :D And that’s exactly my problem, I did not even have the opportunity to discover whether they were good because I always got killed of due to parry to a ghost riposte (hey, that almost rhymes!), ghost swing or an alt swing. That’s why it was such a strong experience for me…