Infinite combos

• What is the community’s thoughts on this? Basically if you add a stab to your combo, it resets your combo so you can combo out of the stab into 1-2 slashes/overheads. Do another stab then rinse and repeat.

• The artificial limiter only prevents you from doing 3 of the same attack (slash/overhead) in a row. You can mix any number of different attacks as you want/stamina allows. One of my favourite combos at least when playing Archer/Shortsword is Stab-OH-OH-OH whilst just moving my mouse to get around blocks.

• You don’t even need to move your mouse. 50% of the blocks will just fail by themselves. ^__^

• It should’ve been limited to three attacks, that would reduce the annoying combo dance.

• Most of my attacks usually get blocked so I can’t contribute to this conversation. :( sad panda

• I doubt any opponent will be left alive after 3 consecutive hits anyway.

• I made a post about this on the ‘is chivalry a skill based game thread’ that’s relevant. I feel the infinite combo spamming is an under spoken issue the devs need to look at along with feints.

I think there are a lot of skill based things you can do in chivalry in terms of judgement, timing, tactics that will help you win the game.

On the other hand, there are a lot of mindless things in chivalry you can do that are not skill based and are rewarded because defending in this game = you’re dead. Look at the competitive scene and how they’re players play, half of these guys don’t even bother to parry and will just continue to combo attacks and then skipping idle time combo feint to parry if ever needed. It’s just a button mashing malestroem of bullshit from the popular weapons like greatsword and longsword etc. Yesterday I was playing with a guy who comboed 9 times with SoW missing every hit but the 9th and then killing me. I was unable to flee and unable to attack (I play slow weapons and at best I could have traded blows with a knight that can take more hits) so the only way out would be to parry but the thing is all of the ‘professional’ players don’t really want you to parry. These players would rather miss their attack on your parry so they can combo again and actually hit you before you can parry again. If you do parry you’re likely to get a look down crouch overhead riposte. Nice.

I really struggle to see the skill in pressing one button and then another button again holding shift running round an opponent comboing with fast weapons. You’re supposed to be punished for missing in this game which is shown by the retarded idle times that lead your opponent to get a free hit on you. This is all circumvented by the fact you can combo and combo feint to parry so someone is permanently in a state of attacking usually. Personally I think it should be removed and you shouldn’t be allowed to combo if you miss or a cap on howmany combos you can do.

Now on top of all of this there’s feints… but I wont talk about those…

By the way I feel I need to point out something I personally feel is an exploit:
    If you miss an attack intentionally (but the enemy still parries) you can combo and hit them before they can parry again

! don’t tell me I’m supposed to know when someones going to miss me intentionally

• but…. being able to target switch between a bunch of different targets is awesome… why would you want to change that. You need the combos like this say if it’s like a 1v4 or 1v5 situation. If you get stuck to 3 attacks, you would not be able to take out multiple opponents like that. you’d eventually have to parry, and parrying can kill you in those situations. Only if you are going against really bad players would this be feasible. Yeah, you could parry counter and start another combo, but i much prefer being able to keep the chain going.

Also, 2v2’s wouldn’t be as interesting if you couldn’t combo this way, i think that’s why it’s in the game. It’s not so much for attacking 1 person, it’s for attacking multiple opponents, especially if you are outnumbered.

• @clayton-bigsby:

but…. being able to target switch between a bunch of different targets is awesome… why would you want to change that. You need the combos like this say if it’s like a 1v4 or 1v5 situation. If you get stuck to 3 attacks, you would not be able to take out multiple opponents like that. you’d eventually have to parry, and parrying can kill you in those situations. Only if you are going against really bad players would this be feasible. Yeah, you could parry counter and start another combo, but i much prefer being able to keep the chain going.

Also, 2v2’s wouldn’t be as interesting if you couldn’t combo this way, i think that’s why it’s in the game. It’s not so much for attacking 1 person, it’s for attacking multiple opponents, especially if you are outnumbered.

This is why I annoy kiting comboers, I just get close and block attacks with my shield. I might throw in an attack of my own, or maybe not. Either way I’ve stopped the combo train and they have to start again. Or course I’ll probably be hit by my own teammates who are comboing with big weapons or might find that somehow one of the attacks goes through my shield.

• i guess anything people do with skill is seen as some sort of advantage and should be nerfed somehow… i give up :(

• @clayton-bigsby:

i guess anything people do with skill is seen as some sort of advantage and should be nerfed somehow… i give up :(

Nobody is suggesting a nerf are they?

I don’t see constant comboing as particularly skillful though.

• noone in the thread has suggested a nerf. But someone asked if they are supposed to know if someone is going to miss their attack. If you played the tutorial way back when, this is one of the chivalry 101 tactics that was taught in the tutorial. Not all of the misses are intentional, but using this tactic still takes some level of skill to execute against a skilled player. You can also FORCE a parry by moving into the strike to make sure that you parry and they dont miss, that would be the coutner to this tactic; that or keeping your range. If they happen to look away and also drag, you can get 2 parries off in the timeframe and still defend yourself with skill and footwork. It’s not like the number of other tactics that are damn near impossble to use skill to defend.

Also, to those that think being in a group of 4-6 people and being able to take them all out by footwork and target switching doesn’t take skill, think again. In addition to excellent situational awareness, you also need good footwork to avoid being hit and flinched while 6 guys are spamming attacks at you, knowing where they are and where the open space to move into and getting there and contorting or moving your characters body to avoid and attack takes skill indeed, if you don’t see that then you’re blind. If it was so easy then why can’t everyone do it? they can’t. it absolutely takes a level of skill.

And… while i see free for all as a spam, backattack fest with more new players involved… skilled players use it as a venue to practice such tactics as movement, footwork, situtational awareness and such, so ffa is a good place to practice these tactics rather than thinking of it as a quick way to rank up or get a ton of kills or spam around in. Movement is key in free for all and your best defensive weapon.

• That is true most of the time blocks will not actually block and the patch seems to not fix it also someone went through a pole I was behind and some how he still killed me.
    @dudeface:

You don’t even need to move your mouse. 50% of the blocks will just fail by themselves. ^__^