MAA overhead unblockable?

• So it seems to me the MAA overhead combo is unblockable 90% of the time - or at least the second attack.

Is this the queued alt attack bug or something else?

• combos don’t suffer from the alt animation bug.

• @NoVaLombardia:

combos don’t suffer from the alt animation bug.

Sadly there is a way to exploit the animations on a combo to produce it, main reason I refuse to play this game competitively untill things like this are fixed.

• Global Moderator

I can block them no problem. And I am blocked all the time. Even with the combo or alt attack. Only if I’m face spamming or they didn’t try to block is when I hit them.

• I am surprised that nobody talks about this: The broadsword alternate overhead is INSANELY FAST, it’s ridiculous. It seems to hit faster than stabs and is easier to land because the blade travels towards the center and down. On the other hand the standart OH feels as slow as the warhammer. So, I agree that the alternate OH is literally impossible to block…but I dunno…maybe it’s by design…

• Slightly off topic but relevant; is it just me or do 1-handers have faster overheads when wielded with shields? To my understanding standalone 1H overheads were given slightly longer windups in the previous update, but wielding a shield with them seems to negate the increase. Might not be just overheads, HWS stab with a shield is ridiculously fast as well.

• @Wangmaster:

Slightly off topic but relevant; is it just me or do 1-handers have faster overheads when wielded with shields? To my understanding standalone 1H overheads were given slightly longer windups in the previous update, but wielding a shield with them seems to negate the increase. Might not be just overheads, HWS stab with a shield is ridiculously fast as well.

Are you talking about buckler? I have noticed this with HWS as well, try the regular OH attack with and without buckler. It changes the release completely and it hits much faster due to the start position of the swing as well as the windup seems slightly faster. I plan to sync up a video soon to see if it really is faster, but it sure seems that way to the eye. The stabs come out from under the buckler so they make it slightly harder to spot, but they don’t seem faster to me usually, HWS stab is already crazy fast.

• @Anonymoose:

Are you talking about buckler? I have noticed this with HWS as well, try the regular OH attack with and without buckler. It changes the release completely and it hits much faster due to the start position of the swing as well as the windup seems slightly faster. I plan to sync up a video soon to see if it really is faster, but it sure seems that way to the eye. The stabs come out from under the buckler so they make it slightly harder to spot, but they don’t seem faster to me usually, HWS stab is already crazy fast.

I don’t think its just the buckler. I fought a knight wielding the HWS and kite shield; his stabs were as fast as fist jabs.

• Oh, I think what you’re referring to is chivalry’s desync issue. Chivalry’s engine is good at handling the timings of attacks and parries and whatnot, but not so good at accurately telling you where the opponent is when he is moving. When a person is sprinting, on their screens they will be slightly ahead of where you see them. So their attacks will come ahead of where they are shown on you’re screen, but you will be able to hit the “ghost” that is on yours. Coupled with the abnormal acceleration of attacks that you get from alt swings, you have to compensate a ridiculous amount when trying to parry a MaA who is running circles.

• @Wangmaster:

Slightly off topic but relevant; is it just me or do 1-handers have faster overheads when wielded with shields?

Windups are the same but here’s the breakdown:

Release time on normal overhead with shield is faster.

Release time on alt overhead WITHOUT shield is faster.

• @Wangmaster:

@Anonymoose:

I don’t think its just the buckler. I fought a knight wielding the HWS and kite shield; his stabs were as fast as fist jabs.

Holy water stab has the same windup time as a fist jab.

• @Anonymoose:

Holy water stab has the same windup time as a fist jab.

I’ve noticed its somewhat slower as a standalone though.

In general wielding a shield seems to accelerate a lot of 1H weapons.

EDIT: Okay, just tested HWS with shield myself. The stab is significantly faster than fist jabs, its almost instantaneous. I would go as far as to call it an exploit at this point.

• @Wangmaster:

I would go as far as to call it an exploit at this point.

It frightens me how many people use the term exploit improperly.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Wangmaster:

Since you appear to be the leading expert on using the word “exploit” properly, would you mind sharing with us how this issue is not an exploit? So the devs clearly intended for weapons to be faster when used with a shield? And there’s absolutely no one using the speed increase to their advantage?

If you think this is frightening, there’ll probably be a million more things that will frighten you as well, kiddo.

• @Wangmaster:

@NoVaLombardia:

@Wangmaster:

Since you appear to be the leading expert on using the word “exploit” properly, would you mind sharing with us how this issue is not an exploit? So the devs clearly intended for weapons to be faster when used with a shield? And there’s absolutely no one using the speed increase to their advantage?

If you think this is frightening, there’ll probably be a million more things that will frighten you as well, kiddo.

It’s hardly “exploitable” when there is no way you can avoid it while using a shield. At worst it’s a bug.

Exploit has just become the goto term for people who want to complain about Chivalry. Every single game community has one of these terms. Using your apparent definitions, you can argue that technically every game mechanic is an “exploit” because you are “exploiting the game mechanics” to play. In most other games an “exploit” would be something that someone has to go out of their way to do to achieve a specific unintended result or gain an advantage. Calling something an “exploit,” even correctly doesn’t automatically make it a bad thing either.

• Global Moderator

Holy water sprinkler, flanged mace, broad dagger, thrusting dagger, hatchet and the fists all have the same stab windup time for the stab. The holy water sprinkler doing the most damage overall. Unless you count archer backstab bonus with the daggers then its the daggers doing the most damage. They can two hit vanguards.

4 holy water sprinkler stabs to the chest or head to kill a knight. 3 to the chest or head to kill anyone else. The type of damage it deals means it does pretty much the same for everyone. And when onset chest or head it doesn’t matter what combination. Though hitting the legs means you will require at least one more hit. All hits are stabs obviously.

I still find the HWS a useless weapon. And the daggers have way faster release times.

And the archer backstab bonus also counts for fists. Archers are pretty good in fist fights.

And I haven’t noticed using a shield making attacks faster. Though for the knights using a two handed sword with a shield does accerlerate attacks but that’s intended. Maybe its accedently programmed in for other weapons that its not supposed to.

• @NabsterHax:

It’s hardly “exploitable” when there is no way you can avoid it while using a shield. At worst it’s a bug.

You call it a bug, I call it an exploit. Its something that confers an unfair, unintended advantage with the same weapon, just by using a shield, and bottomline, it needs to be fixed. No point arguing semantics.

@lemonater47:

I still find the HWS a useless weapon. And the daggers have way faster release times.

And the archer backstab bonus also counts for fists. Archers are pretty good in fist fights.

And I haven’t noticed using a shield making attacks faster. Though for the knights using a two handed sword with a shield does accerlerate attacks but that’s intended. Maybe its accedently programmed in for other weapons that its not supposed to.

Try overheading 1H weapons with and without shields. Without shields, there’s a slight hang-time in the windup. With a shield, the hang-time disappears, making the attack a lot faster. This difference appears to apply for other attacks as well, which brings us to the HWS stab.

I never liked the HWS as well, but the stab speed with shields is making it a more than viable weapon. Load up the HWS with any shield and stab into a wall so the weapon contacts immediately after windup. The speed is insane.

• @Wangmaster:

@NabsterHax:

You call it a bug, I call it an exploit. Its something that confers an unfair, unintended advantage with the same weapon, just by using a shield, and bottomline, it needs to be fixed. No point arguing semantics.

I also said that just because something is perhaps unintended, it does not automatically make it a bad thing. Why should shield windup speeds be slower? Right now it seems like a good incentive to use them when most of the time they’re pretty useless.

• @NabsterHax:

Exploit has just become the goto term for people who want to complain about Chivalry. Every single game community has one of these terms. Using your apparent definitions, you can argue that technically every game mechanic is an “exploit” because you are “exploiting the game mechanics” to play. In most other games an “exploit” would be something that someone has to go out of their way to do to achieve a specific unintended result or gain an advantage. Calling something an “exploit,” even correctly doesn’t automatically make it a bad thing either.

Thank you and pardon me for my laziness.

• @NabsterHax:

I also said that just because something is perhaps unintended, it does not automatically make it a bad thing. Why should shield windup speeds be slower? Right now it seems like a good incentive to use them when most of the time they’re pretty useless.

Weren’t 1H weapons supposed to perform the same with or without shield? I never said they should be slower, they should simply perform the same, with or without.