Enforce class caps based on server size

• Is there any plans to do this in the future?

On TO maps, having to go up against a team on defense that is comprised of 80% archers is a bit extreme. Doesn’t matter if you have a shield when you’re getting shot from a different angle every second.

And yes, I know this is available to server creators. And no one uses it. At all.

• @Farf:

Is there any plans to do this in the future?

On TO maps, having to go up against a team on defense that is comprised of 80% archers is a bit extreme. Doesn’t matter if you have a shield when you’re getting shot from a different angle every second.

And yes, I know this is available to server creators. And no one uses it. At all.

Some do e.g. Xigmatek US3 Large Battlefield TO/TDM which a 64 player server and limits archers to 5 per team.

• I think Xigmatek is the only hosting company that does. They usually do on the 32 servers as well. But that’s 1 company from hundreds of servers.

No one else that I play on does. And then you run into teams stacking 10 archers on a team of 16 people and basically laughing and s–t talking to the other team because they can’t push the cart on darkforest or get near the battering ram on stonehill or any other objectives that require you to focus on a single point rather than multiple areas.

I think that’s the main reason why this game is basically just something I play for 2 hours a week now instead of 2 hours a day. Because stuff like that just ruins the fun of the game.

• I don’t want this. Variety in multiplayer games is good.

• Variety is fine. But making it so that the other team can talk trash all they want and still waltz to an easy win is not.

I’m not even really suggesting a cap on all servers, just on TO ones. When you have an actual objective to complete getting hit every step of the way for more than half your health bar from different angles makes it impossible.

• Smoke works amazing against archers. It works best if you through the smoke at the archers. So your team can still be vanguards and murder everyone. Smoke is so under utilised.

• I like this idea. Nothing makes me rage more than archer teams acting like they’re something.

Class limits should at least be enforced on official servers, but the idea of scaling it based on the amount of people actually ON the server is great!

32 people on the server? Ok, both teams can have say… 4 archers, 4 knights

Only 16 people on the server (even though it’s a 32 player server) 2 and 2.

Or whatever. I’m just tired of getting 13 javelins flying through me as I’m on a ballista…

• You don’t have to. Having a well balanced team isn’t needed to win.

• I don’t play large games to know much about limits, everything is too much of a clusterfuck in 64 player servers for me to enjoy the game at all… Archers in groups make this worse.

• Some smoke and a few shields and those archer teams are rendered useless.

There’s a chat function, use it.

• Please no. If classes are supposed to be balanced there is no need for class caps at all. They would just make the game worse as the only limit player options and thus enforce a particular playstyle. Variety is much better.

• @lemonater47:

Some smoke and a few shields and those archer teams are rendered useless.

There’s a chat function, use it.

Oh, I always do! Mostly for trashtalking, but I still do.

And only few people listen when I’m lucky.

I think the problem for communication is that people generally do not really care about fulfilling a teameffort but try to go all One-man-army on the other team, rendering any attempt of coming up with a well-orchestrated counteroffensive.

In fact, I was experimenting/training/fooling around with smokepots the other day and promptly got yelled at for using them. It was an archer who apparently felt me trying to provide cover denied him clear sight for “easy kills”.

Either way, to add my thoughts to this topic:

I am not entirely sure about hardcapping classes. I do agree the potential damageoutput that so many archers provide is infuriating at times, especially on TO maps that are very corridorlike in their build.(speaking of Darkforest for the better part, Stoneshill’s ramobjective and the bottlenecks in Hillside) You could say that you only need to get one or two guys in close to chop those archers apart, but as a matter of fact those archers aren’t always so helpless in melee as the game might make you think and especially when huddled up in groups, archers with their +50% damage when stabbing you in the back will most likely dispose of any unwanted close encounters in short time.

On the other hand, hardcapping would mean to cut down on the game’s mechanics. The game promises to allow you to approach gameplay in any way you wish that lie in consensus with the game’s mechanics. Hardcapping a class by default would sort of cut into this option, twisting it into a “first come, first serve” scenario which is in my opinion unnecessary.

The mechanics to ensure teambalance already go into this, but it is more understandable because the number of participants on either side is easier to grasp as a balance issue than one side consisting of only one type of class.

Also, I feel it would be just a cheap cover-up of what is essentially providing a setup of archers-only-teams to be so strong: The game’s mechanics allowing it.

The devs tried their best to add as many elements as possible to make the game as immersive as possible, taking inspiration from actual medieval warfare and weaponry. This includes that archers could pretty much fuck up any incoming force that was not properly equipped to withstand their fire.

However this is also a game, where things must be adjusted to provide a well balanced situation of fair competition.

In my opinion, it would be better to adjust the mechanics than to force hardcaps on anything and anyone. I still have nightmares from the Dow-Balancing ;_;

It may be that with one more element of immersion, the archer situation could be solved: Shaky aim. The longer the archers aim, the more their aim will be off and their shots become less reliable.

The way I’ve experienced it, many archers put an arrow on the string, draw and hold, waiting for any incoming enemy to release right away. Now in actual bow-warfare, your arm would tire and disrupt your aim, making steady shots nearly impossible. By increasing failchance as archers, the class becomes less attractive, which would decrease the amount of killingspree-hungry players choosing this class in the first place. Additionally, with the single archer having to put more effort into combat and learning to handle his weapon, the penalty to fight against teams consisting of many archers decreases as the shots are easier to avoid.

Other possible solutions could be stamina drain for the archer the more he holds or increased stamina drain for every time he draws the bow to increase breaktime between shots to regenerate, reducing the amount of arrows shot per minute.

• Fucking wall of text I can’t read.

People don’t listen? They do when they are getting pissed off by a bunch of archers.

You will see them in the chat saying “Fucking archers” that’s when you say to grab a shield or use smoke. You only need one guy using smoke and a few guys with shields to get close to those archers.