Why does spear primary swing go left to right?

• I don’t use spears all that much, but sometimes I like to for variety. When I use them I always get messed up with the primary and secondary swings. Every other weapon goes right to left for the primary and left to right for the secondary; why were the directions reversed for the spears? :?

• Because everyone is right-handed in this game. That’s how you would swing it if you had your left hand forward.

• When you’re involved in a fast moving melee you are doing a lot of things by instinct, and when all the other weapons swing from right to left, your natural reaction is to use the primary swing when you want a swing to go that way. In a real fight, you instinctively know how to swing from right to left and left to right, you don’t have to think about it. When playing Chivalry, you are simply pressing a button, and when all the other weapons train you that the primary swing goes from right to left, it is going to be your natural instinct to use the primary attack when you want the swing to go that way; and if the swing goes the wrong way, that may be the difference between you killing your opponent or your opponent killing you.

On the one hand, I can see the reason why the left to right swing was made the primary; it is the most natural way to swing a spear when your left hand is forward. For game mechanics though, I think it would be better to switch the primary swing to a right to left motion, so as to be consistent with the other weapons in the game. This would allow you to fight instinctively when you switch from another weapon to a spear, without having to retrain your brain every time you do it.

• Who actually uses slash with spears? :?

• @Kipper:

Who actually uses slash with spears? :?

So you’re saying you frequently use spears and never slash? The stab is obviously the primary attack with a spear, but the slash is still useful.

• I do not have that problem. I instinctively know how my character will slash with the spear because I know how he is holding it. You’re not getting into the zone, man. Don’t rely on such overly mechanical training of your brain.

• @dudeface:

Because everyone is right-handed in this game. That’s how you would swing it if you had your left hand forward.

I actually think the developers should look past this and have the primary swing to right to left like all the other weapons.

• The spear category is not like all the other weapons. They can’t combo, and they don’t have an overhead either. Strange request, IMHO.

• If you think about it, swinging from left to right would be quicker due to the positioning of your left hand. It is different to the other weapons but I’m sure that you will get used to it eventually… :)

• You know you can swing from right to left via alt attack? :?

• @Alucard:

You know you can swing from right to left via alt attack? :?

Dude, try reading the post before you make a comment like this

• But I mean, how hard is it to learn that the attack goes left to right? I use the brandistock quite often (it isn’t my primary though) and I don’t ever have this issue.

• @dudeface:

But I mean, how hard is it to learn that the attack goes left to right? I use the brandistock quite often (it isn’t my primary though) and I don’t ever have this issue.

The issue is that I switch weapons all the time. I don’t sit there playing 6 straight games using a spear. I usually use a different weapon/class for each game; maybe I’ll use the same loadout for a couple games in a row, but that’s the max. Combat in this game is very fast, and when all the other weapons have the primary swing going from right to left, my natural instinct is to use the primary when I want the swing to go that way. If I have a vanguard running at me and veering to my right, if I swing at him using a swing that goes from right to left, it will contact him much quicker than one that goes from left to right, which may even miss him completely.

The point is that the more you play this game, the more instinctive the moves become. When all the other weapons train you that the primary swing goes from right to left, you don’t really think about it, you just see that you need to swing from right to left and press the appropriate button. When I use a spear, that is my natural instinct; I find that when I am in a tough fight I will often press the wrong button and swing in a direction that isn’t appropriate for the situation, or I will hesitate, which can be just as bad.

• I play a very large variety of weapons all the time and don’t have this issue.
    And slash is very useful for spears….

• @giantyak:

I play a very large variety of weapons all the time and don’t have this issue.
    And slash is very useful for spears….

Well, that’s nice…maybe I am the only Chivalry player that this poses a problem to. Maybe nobody else has any trouble adjusting to the reversed swings when using a spear. Maybe to all other players it is completely intuitive that the swings should be reversed for spears and their instinctive reaction is to automatically switch to the different configuration with no delay whatsoever. Maybe I am unique in my disability…but I doubt it.

• It’s instinctive for me, but to each their own. For the record I switch between brandistock and zwei all the time. This problem just never even occurred to me so I find it a bit fascinating.

• Well Mr Stickybuds,
    what you could do is reverse the key bindings for the spears each time you want to use them for a prolonged period. You could use a .bat file to edit the .ini to speed this process up, but you’d still have to quit out of the game each time. It’d be faster and easier though
    Or
    If your mouse is capable just save a different profile for the spear so that you can quickly and easily swap to the spear profile (reversing the buttons).

PS i am ambidextrous and use 4 monitors, 3 keyboards, and 3 mice at work so yes i guess its very instantaneous for me to switch to whatever….even with either hand… I even wish one could use two mice in chiv. 1 mouse for shield the other 1 for the weapon :)

• LOL, yes I realize that I could switch the key bindings every time I wish to use a spear, but that is a pain in the butt and I won’t be doing that. I still believe the argument for having the swings go the same direction is better than the one for having them reversed. If the devs don’t agree then they won’t be changing it. I just wanted to throw the idea out there and see if I might be able to plant the seed to see if there was some level of support for getting this done.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.