Kicking is too slow

• I liked the old kicking mechanics, was both fun and useful to use. Now it takes forever to kick someone giving them plenty of time to stab/slash you in the process. I want the old kicks back :(

• Kick absolutely fuck shields up atm. And we can’t have a pre-patch fast kick with the same effect like it has now on shields.

• One of the things in the combat patch (the next one after the current beta goes live) will be trying to find a way of making kicks able to be both a quick shove/flinch and a slow guard breaker, while still feeling natural and not complicating the control scheme.

• I think ideally both mechanics should be there, but for the guard break you would need more time and a longer animation:

Light Kick:
    Quick shove (how it used to be) – press F

Heavy Kick:
    Breaks shields – press and hold F for 1-1.5 sec

• @Filthy_Peasant:

I think ideally both mechanics should be there, but for the guard break you would need more time and a longer animation:

Light Kick:
    Quick shove (how it used to be) – press F

Heavy Kick:
    Breaks shields – press and hold F for 1-1.5 sec

This is along the lines of what we’re thinking.

1-1.5 seconds is an eternity though. Kick windup right now is something like .4 seconds.

• Or double tap F? One tap winds up a slow kick while tapping the second time breaks the animation to do a fast one.

Or you could just bind it to “R”, since its only used for crossbow reloads and archers with crossbows can’t kick anyway…

• Oh yeah 1.5 was just my guess 0.4 is probably more realistic. Double tap F could also work imo. Not sure about binding it to R though, it could get confusing?

• @Wangmaster:

Or double tap F? One tap winds up a slow kick while tapping the second time breaks the animation to do a fast one.

Good idea though I would make it the other way around.

• Please stop with double-tapping keys or whatever. Just put it on a different key. This way you don’t mix the 2 and you cannot complain OMFG I HIT IT TWICE WTF IT IS NOT KICKING ACCORDINGLY.

Got it?

• well we have the alt attack mechanic why not just have f be fast flinch kick alt-f be slow shield breaking kick. Doesn’t complicate the controls at all since it uses an already used mechanic and button.

If no one else really thought about that before i’ll laugh cause that was my first thought.

• @SlyGoat:

One of the things in the combat patch (the next one after the current beta goes live) will be trying to find a way of making kicks able to be both a quick shove/flinch and a slow guard breaker, while still feeling natural and not complicating the control scheme.

why not make the faster one an alternate attack for kick or vice versa? … just creating an alternate kick key that can be re-bound to something, as you’ve done for the alt slash+alt overheads?

i actually could also deal with the hold-down of F… as long as it doesn’t take 1-1.5 seconds :D

• As im constantly furiously hiding behind my shield, only emerging to BRUTALLY DISMEMBER THE ENEMY, I personally bloody hate kicks.

Its slow, and you’re vulnerable if they anticipate it… but its also a free feckin hit - and I find I get hit by it plenty: whilst trying to actively avoid it as my prime objective too - its not THAT slow. The single biggest danger to any shield user is someone trying to kick them, so it definitely needs no buffing, SSSSSSsssssertainly not. High rank players go all out with no abandon nor shame to kick you, and combining that with a two hit warhammer - and if you get caught, theres not much hope.

Its fine as it is imho, Id genuinely want it nerfed a little (its unblockable… and it gets you a free hit/combo, as afforementioned - the only counter is to anticipate it and commit to an attack as they approach) but I dont really see a way it can be tweaked down and still be vaguely effective, and I respect that it ought to be useful.

Just my views.

• i’ve actually been using kick a lot more often lately, i usually forget to use it or feel its kinda crap but honestly, used at the right times it’s great. Even against me, kickers do pretty well at times getting me off of them. I don’t really think we even need a new kick to be honest… i would just say now that the hitbox is totally off lol… i can kick right through people sometimes… just make the kick hitbox what the fists hitbox USED to be.

Also, the shield bug with the kick and followup attack and the defender can do a counter attack back… that bug is still there :( . It discourages me from kicking a shield user, then following up with an attack, as the strategy would have you do.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.