Classic duel gamemode

• Most of you might already know, that the duel-fans of Chivalry are seperated in 2 parts. The first of them is playing the duel mode, which was implemented with the contentpatch. The second still plays the FAA-/Oldschool duels, just tries to respect the duel rules (= Both duellants have to either bow or taunt before starting to attack each other), but that works only pretty seldom.

Why should the old duel-mechanic be better?

• It’s more personal
    • It’s so much more convenient without all the GUI
    • It’s just cool, you can chill out on the batltefield and randomly watch duels
    • It feels so much more immersive
    • You can choose which enemy you want to fight by his equipment and class
    • The FFA-Maps are much nicer to duel on
      etc…

So the only problem with the classic-duels is that most of the people just think it’s FFA, so everyone who tries to duel gets pissed of.

Why don’t you implement a second duel-mode called “Classic-duel”? The new one could be kept in the game, so no problems at all :) To initiate a duel you have to point on your enemy and press C to taunt. If both players did this within 5 seconds the duel begins, after both are finished with taunting, so you can’t attack your enemy while he is still in the taunt-animation (Just with like a second protection after finishing).

Infinite/very long games would be useful in this gamemode.

It would be easy to implement (Compared to the new duel mode)and would please all the oldschool duellants :)

Please TBS, it would be just great to have this gamemode in! D:

• @HammelGammel:

To initiate a duel you have to point on your enemy and press C to taunt. If both players did this within 5 seconds the duel begins, after both are finished with taunting, so you can’t attack your enemy while he is still in the taunt-animation (Just with like a second protection after finishing).

It would be easy to implement

Not so easy, lots of ways that could break and would require lots of code.

FFA Duel servers are fine, rules are observed or they get kicked.

• I didn’t even know this was a thing. It sounds interesting.

• I love FFA duels. You can stop and chill at any time. Chatting is easy. You can watch multiple fights at the same time. You can fight the same person ten times in a row if you want.

The official duel gamemode is… horrifying. Everything about it is terrible except for the metagame whereby it keeps track of wins and loses.

• I really like Classic Duelling, I remember doing in before the Duel game mode, but I don’t really think it needs scripting to work or be official I think it’s fine how it is.

• @dudeface:

Your signature.

I never actually said that, did I? :P You people and your quotes!

As for Classic duel mode, definitely my favorite out of the two. It has more of a community aspect and is just a lot more fun. What's nice is that we can still do that option but those who prefer a more "set in stone" way, they can play the official duel mode.

I think it's fine the way it is and as long as they are moderated to some extent, then there's no need to add anything else as it would just be a lot more work.

• @Kimiko:

I never actually said that, did I? :P You people and your quotes!

@Kimiko:

And that’s enough of that. I can handle the first one… but the second one is too big… NO THANK YOU. GO AWAY NOW. I deleted ReMixx. Don’t even add it back in!

[kimibjorn:1rair3nk][/kimibjorn:1rair3nk]

(Sorry for de-railing the thread btw, *Bans self again).

• I love FFA duels, i hate the UI and scoretracking of duel mode. I can never type gf or anything else to the other person RIGHT AFTER THE DUEL, i have to wait for the stupid UI to go away, but if i try to type too early and am not fast enough, my UI doesn’t work. I also like to watch other duels as you said, and i like to just play a number of people in a shorter amount of time. I’m just waiting for the ability to extend the round time in FFA. Sometimes… you just want to keep going without constantly being stopped every 10-15 minutes or w/e ffa round time is.

• @BobT36:

@Kimiko:

And that’s enough of that. I can handle the first one… but the second one is too big… NO THANK YOU. GO AWAY NOW. I deleted ReMixx. Don’t even add it back in!

Well that was a blunder… Obviously we know what I was SUPPOSED to say… >.> lolol

• Infinite time would be something nice.

• @smokingbobs:

Infinite time would be something nice.

Infinite time would indeed be pretty nice for these duels. I’ll add it.

• infinite time WOULD be nice… or at least be able to extend it like… an hour. I think that would be good, then eventually those who care about score in there could determine a winner. Plus in the duel tournaments… it wouldn’t be so stop and go … they could fit more time in.

But all they need to do right now is make the config file work lol. There is already a line in there for round time for FFA and… something else i can’t remember… but when you adjust the time, it doesn’t take.

• They have that gamemode in M&B Warband, where you had to press f to initiate. Any other players could swing around, but not do any damage.
    Perhaps just a simple menu upon joining the server or having the server list show duel in gamemode instead of FFA would stop a lot of the annoyance? It might stop a little bit of confusion as some players just join by looking at player count or by game mode and never read the actual server name.

• @jrmftw:

They have that gamemode in M&B Warband, where you had to press f to initiate. Any other players could swing around, but not do any damage.
    Perhaps just a simple menu upon joining the server or having the server list show duel in gamemode instead of FFA would stop a lot of the annoyance? It might stop a little bit of confusion as some players just join by looking at player count or by game mode and never read the actual server name.

MOTD working would help this and wouldn’t seem to require that much. Could list server name, IP, rules, etc.

• @jrmftw:

They have that gamemode in M&B Warband, where you had to press f to initiate. Any other players could swing around, but not do any damage.

Many of these idiots are disrupting duels just for fun.

Really: We need a gamemode for this, I rarely find a EU-duel server with (dueling) players on it.

• Classic duel is my favorite of the gamemodes and it would be nice to see some love from TBS in that department. I think that everyone should no clip through each other until you move your cursor over another person and taunt then they taunt back. The system I aforementioned could be any fixes to any problems that could arise.

• Classic duel is my favorite of the gamemodes and it would be nice to see some love from TBS in that department. I think that everyone should no clip through each other until you move your cursor over another person and taunt then they taunt back. The system I aforementioned could be any fixes to any problems that could arise.

• ^^

nah cause sometimes you just want to teamkill your friend
    or sometimes you just want to kick someone

• @Merlander:

Classic duel is my favorite of the gamemodes and it would be nice to see some love from TBS in that department.

I would think that would be the easiest mod to make.