Weapon Suggestion: Rapier

• Hello everyone,
    I am Lucian,
    Now I am aware of Torn Banners huge backlog of bug and exploit fixes and game balance adjustments. I’m aware of just how long it will most likely take them to fix and release this to us and so I’m sure Torn Banner will probably dismiss the concept of new content until the current content is fixed, as they should. But I just wanted to make this thread to share an idea I had for a new weapon;
    The Rapier.
    This sword is a sharply pointed sword which was ideally used for thrusting attacks mainly in Early Modern Europe during the 16th and 17th centuries.
    As Wikipedia’s description of the sword states;
    "The word “rapier” generally refers to a relatively long-bladed sword characterized by a complex hilt which is constructed to provide protection for the hand wielding it. While the blade might be broad enough to cut to some degree (but nowhere near that of the wider swords in use around the Middle Ages), the long thin blade lends itself to thrusting"
    Based from this description it’s clear that the Rapiers most powerful attack should be it’s stab which should be a thrust. This weapon would be usable 1 handed only with or without a shield. It’s attacks should be fast but weak and low damaging, taking 3-4 hits to kill knights, 2-3 hits to kill vanguards and about 2 hits for Man at arms and Archer, however this would obviously be dependent on which attack you use with the weapon and where on the enemy you hit using said attack. This weapons attacks would have a low cost in stamina because it’s a light, fast and agile weapon.
    The sword should have quite a long but also thin blade. The hilt is where this particular sword gets it’s identity from so the design of this should get the most focus, it needs to look somewhat fancy but not too detailed. There are many concepts of this type of sword on Google images which will show you just what the Rapier looks like. I have included some pictures which best resemble the design of the sword that I think would look best if included in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare:

Links to Rapier sword pictures:

http://tinyurl.com/cokt4sq

http://tinyurl.com/d3htrtp

This picture featuring the Rapier resembles the loading screen diagrams we often see in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and shows in a nice style how the rapier would be used:

http://tinyurl.com/cgga95b

And lastly, thank you for reading and sorry for any mistakes I have made in writing this post.
    I hope you all would like to see this weapon in the game eventually as much as I would!
    Let me know what you think!
    Thanks
    -Lucian

• no gaypier pls

add dragon slayer sword as it goes with tbs current stance on parries

see lookdown crouch overhead

• The Saber acts as a rapier.

• Global Moderator

That’s 300-400 years infront of the time period this game is set in. Most of this game is in about the middle-late 13th century. The latest weapon is probably the halberd which is was the late 14th century is when it started to get popular to counter enemy pike formations.

And the rapier would be utterly useless. Its thinner than a dagger. The rapier couldn’t get through chain and thick studded leather without breaking itself. Let alone a combination of those and plate armour.

The rapier became widely used by officers or higher wealths soldier becuase the amout of armour people wore was reduced a lot becuase matchlocks were becoming really popular. Chain mail tended to explode when hit by a musket ball causing a right mess in the victims chest and plate armour didn’t cope to well either tending to bend inwards making It really uncomfortable and usually it was penatrated by the musket ball leaving the sharp metal pointed inwards stabbing through whatever was underneath into the skin. If it was chain mail it would have exploded and if I was leather it would of cut through.

And the person was usually winded or suffering from broken bones even if the round didn’t penatrated. Heavy armour became a hindernce. The rapier became popular becuase of the lack of armour. It could actually do damage. Also very useful for duelling which was becoming more and more common. It wasn’t really a weapon to be used against anything except from a bayonet or another rapier.

And I mean there is the sabre. It was a 12th century weapon.

• @lemonater47:

That’s 300-400 years infront of the time period this game is set in. Most of this game is in about the middle-late 13th century. The latest weapon is probably the halberd which is was the late 14th century is when it started to get popular to counter enemy pike formations.

And he rapier would be utterly useless. Its thinner than a dagger. The rapier could get through chain and thick studded leather without breaking itself. Let alone a comination of those and plate armour.

The rapier became widely used by officers or higher wealths soldier becuase the amout of armour people wore was reduced a lot becuase matchlocks were becoming really popular. Chain mail tended to explode when hit by a musket ball causing a right mess in the victims chest and plate armour didn’t cope to well either tending to bend inwards making It really uncomfortable and usually it was penatrated by the musket ball leaving the sharp metal pointed inwards stabbing through whatever was underneath into the skin. If it was chain mail it would have exploded and if I was leather it would of cut through.

And the person was usually winded or suffering from broken bones even if the round didn’t penatrated. Heavy armour became a hindernce. The rapier became popular becuase Eocene the lack or armour. It could actually do damage. Also very useful for duelling which was becoming more and more common. It wasn’t really a weapon to be used against anything except from a bayonet or another rapier.

implying chivalry follows any actual timeline anywhere weapons are from all over the place

sling is a weapon from 10,000 BC

zweihander is from 14th century
    @BillDoor:

The Saber acts as a rapier.

sabers are usually about 3/4 the length of a rapier, are single edged only and shaped. rapiers were long had complex hilt designs and were single, double edged and straight blades.

go away billdurrhurr

• @KILLBANDS:

@BillDoor:

sabers are usually about 3/4 the length of a rapier, are single edged only and shaped. rapiers were long had complex hilt designs and were single, double edged and straight blades.
    go away billdurrhurr

In this game, the Saber acts as a rapier. It has a strong stab and weak slash. The length is longer than it should be. You can be damaged from either side of the blade (even though it appears to be dull on one edge).
    I’m right and I don’t wanna go-way! :x

• @BillDoor:

@KILLBANDS:

@BillDoor:

go away billdurrhurr

In this game, the Saber acts as a rapier. It has a strong stab and weak slash. The length is longer than it should be. You can be damaged from either side of the blade (even though it appears to be dull on one edge).

ok billdurr perhaps more is needed

the saber has the same slash and stab damage, its overhead is stronger. the rapier is souly a weapon for stabbing.

ingame you would see people using short sword for stabbing and sabre for combo slashing/overheading because of its speed the only thing that suggests it should stab is it has slightly more range than shortsword (but hits much weaker) and this doesnt combo well

the difference between the two is that the rapier would be more of a primary MAA weapon and not a shitty archer secondary

the only thing they have similar is in appearance but wouldn’t play the same at all

• Personally, I think the Rapier should be a fourth knight primary sword but that is just my opinion.

• Global Moderator

@KILLBANDS:

@lemonater47:

And he rapier would be utterly useless. Its thinner than a dagger. The rapier could get through chain and thick studded leather without breaking itself. Let alone a comination of those and plate armour.

And the person was usually winded or suffering from broken bones even if the round didn’t penatrated. Heavy armour became a hindernce. The rapier became popular becuase Eocene the lack or armour. It could actually do damage. Also very useful for duelling which was becoming more and more common. It wasn’t really a weapon to be used against anything except from a bayonet or another rapier.

implying chivalry follows any actual timeline anywhere weapons are from all over the place

@BillDoor:

go away billdurrhurr

It doesn’t matter about how long before the weapon was invented. They still used old weapons back then. And like the halberd which I mentioned the zweihander came about around the same time. Though in history they aren’t always correct and the always go be the earliest known record of it. So weapons could of been made slightly earlier. Though probably only by about 30-40 year maximum. And the halberd and zweihander actually fit in. The rapier would not. Even then the rapier was superceeded by the late 17th century Broadsword.

Though superceeded may be the wrong word. It was originally designed as a dress sword. It was e telly popular by the higher wealth people. The 18th centurary came and war started to break out and the sword became vertually useless and the 17th-18th century broadsword became more popular. And since rapiers were barely used they were passed on down so not many people actually bought them.

The they in the late 18th early 19th century the sabre came along and the rapier had completely gon out of fashion. The sabre was a the new dress sword and it was actually useful In a battle. The sabre had dies out in the 15th century when plate armour was all around and even that couldn’t do much damage again most armoured targets.

And fourth knight primary sword? Its not a bastard sword, its not two handed and any of those swords could chop it in half.

• Wait, wut?
    The rapier … a knight weapon.
    Killbands you can have this thread. It has gotten silly.

• @lemonater47:

@KILLBANDS:

@lemonater47:

@BillDoor:

go away billdurrhurr

It doesn’t matter about how long before the weapon was invented. They still used old weapons back then. And like the halberd which I mentioned the zweihander came about around the same time. Though in history they aren’t always correct and the always go be the earliest known record of it. So weapons could of been made slightly earlier. Though probably only by about 30-40 year maximum. And the halberd and zweihander actually fit in. The rapier would not. Even then the rapier was superceeded by the late 17th century Broadsword.

Though superceeded may be the wrong word. It was originally designed as a dress sword. It was e telly popular by the higher wealth people. The 18th centurary came and war started to break out and the sword became vertually useless and the 17th-18th century broadsword became more popular. And since rapiers were barely used they were passed on down so not many people actually bought them.

The they in the late 18th early 19th century the sabre came along and the rapier had completely gon out of fashion. The sabre was a the new dress sword and it was actually useful In a battle. The sabre had dies out in the 15th century when plate armour was all around and even that couldn’t do much damage again most armoured targets.

And fourth knight primary sword? Its not a bastard sword, its not two handed and any of those swords could chop it in half.

The fact is Chivalry doesn’t follow a timeline or even have any sensical rules to follow in terms of what’s in the game.

The game is about a rebellion when the rebels have a completely different dialect and armour that looks like it came from a different part of the world. None of this actually follows any rules or makes sense the only apparent rule is there’s no guns.

I don’t think the rapier is a gun do you?

Whatever history lesson you’re trying to teach is just proving me right given that the sabre appeared in the 18th century and the rapier was around in the 16th.

• @BillDoor:

@BillDoor:

Killbands you can have this thread. It has gotten silly.

• No, the Saber has been around since the time of the Greeks. It just went out of style during the plate mail period and came back into style.
    What-sa-matter Killy? Did I poop in your cornflakes?

• @BillDoor:

No, the Saber has been around since the time of the Greeks. It just went out of style during the plate mail period and came back into style.

I think if you had apprehension you’d see I found it funny you wanted to argue and then gave up a post later.

And nah, Sabre was more of a Napoleon thing.

• @KILLBANDS:

@BillDoor:

No, the Saber has been around since the time of the Greeks. It just went out of style during the plate mail period and came back into style.

I think if you had apprehension you’d see I found it funny you wanted to argue and then gave up a post later.

I’m sure you mean “comprehension”. I’m apprehensive about arguing without someone who doesn’t know the difference.

The ‘sabre’ as we know it today was developed in the 12th century. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szabla

However - long, sometimes curved, one-edged blades go back to well before the time of Rome. It’s a useful design because the dull edge strengthens the blade.

• @BillDoor:

@KILLBANDS:

@BillDoor:

I’m sure you mean “comprehension”. I’m apprehensive about arguing without someone who doesn’t know the difference.

The ‘sabre’ as we know it today was developed in the 12th century. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szabla

However - long, sometimes curved, one-edged blades go back to well before the time of Rome. It’s a useful design because the dull edge strengthens the blade.

Ok bill I’m sorry for the word mistake.

So because a sword is curved and single edged it’s a sabre? I think we need to remove the messer and falcon from the game because well, the sabre already does their role right? And as you previously described that weapon pissed off because of platemail. The rapier absolutely obliterates plate and around that time was part of its decline. They are different. If it were to be in the game it would be be sufficiently longer and player as a stabbing weapon only.

• It’s pretty silly to draw a line in the sand just because you don’t like the rapier or whatever. This game definitely features weapons either ahead or behind its supposed timeframe and nobody should really be bothered about it.

• @dudeface:

It’s pretty silly to draw a line in the sand just because you don’t like the rapier or whatever. This game definitely features weapons either ahead or behind its supposed timeframe and nobody should really be bothered about it.

this x 1000

Although I think TB needs to fix their current unsuccessful abortion weapons from CU1 before they add new ones…

• That said, I don’t see it really fitting in well. I’m simply not opposed on principle. While we may have weapons that come from a later time period (saber, you can argue) we don’t have classes that come from those periods. The rapier doesn’t really fit in with any of the classes in this game.

• @dudeface:

That said, I don’t see it really fitting in well. I’m simply not opposed on principle. While we may have weapons that come from a later time period (saber, you can argue) we don’t have classes that come from those periods. The rapier doesn’t really fit in with any of the classes in this game.

I have to disagree. I think the man at arms would play with a rapier very appropriately.

Maybe even give him some interesting crab man animations to go with it…