Switch to a small but frequent patch model

• Large infrequent patches aren’t working out well at all. Gamebreaking combat bugs have been left in for much, much too long because you guys are trying to group everything into large patches. In addition, every time you release a massive patch you tend to break everything. This wouldn’t happen so much if you released more smaller ones

In my opinion this is a massive mistake - if you release a tiny patch every week or so which fixes a few of the most crucial bugs, the community will be much happier. At the moment, i would say that people are starting to feel a little ignored with how long its taking to fix even minor bugs. This also allows you to tweak things and see the community feedback on them

AoC suffered from this problem as well. I don’t want to see chivalry go down the same route as that :?

• I agree on this, even if like a patch with 3 fixes takes 500 mb. (Yay UE) Spam me those patches baby.

• Let’s see first how fast can they do stuff when they have that studio up. :P

• Didn’t they say that small updates wouldn’t be all that convinient? We would have to download large files for every little update, if I understood that correctly. SlyGoat wrote something on that matter…

• @HammelGammel:

Didn’t they say that small updates wouldn’t be all that convinient? We would have to download large files for every little update, if I understood that correctly. SlyGoat wrote something on that matter…

Essentially, yes, because we utilize UE3’s cooking feature. We’re looking into a way to make smaller cooked patches a possibility, though either way things will be a lot quicker just by being in the studio - there’ll be more hardware available for cooking (right now our programmers have to do it on their own home machines), and we’ll be able to better automate the process.

But really this isn’t a “model” for us, the large patches are just an unfortunate side-effect of the engine; the positive side to cooked builds, however, is it gives much smaller file sizes (even though the patches themselves are large, it doesn’t bloat the content of the game - TF2 is a good example of this, the file size of it has increased 10x since release) and virtually eliminates loading times.

• It appears that Smite from Hi-Rez have weekly updates. And it feels like there is progress to be made for the consumer. I understand that it might be inpractical with the current engine to do small patches but, let it be know for TB that people like consistent (and hopefully frequent) patch updates!

• Dev-ops is quickly becoming the standard in the business world. Dev-ops being the bridge between development and operations. Releasing a new build every few days would provide more long-term stability; once the devs are used to it, problems can be patched hours after the release.

Bump for great justice!