Buckler

• So let me be the first to say that I love playing the javelin archer, its my favorite class. I think the class can be extremely powerful in the right hands and it’s probably one of the most fun experiences in the game. Though I think there should be several tweaks made to javelins, simply fixing the buckler would probably eliminate any of my other concerns. Anyone who knows me has probably heard my incessant whining about the matter, and I thank you for your patience.

Now, I understand that as the smallest shield, it is not meant to offer you full protection from ranged projectiles. However, since shields were balanced primarily around the idea that greater protection (shield size) should result in reduced visibility, I do not see how the buckler is any way fair. It is the smallest shield, and yet it occupies a hugely disproportional amount of your screen. Understandably, you should not be holding your shield up all the time. However, the visibility reduction created by the buckler makes it needlessly hard to use for what should be the easiest shield to use and the one that offers the most visibility with the tradeoff being that it offers the least protection. Please note, I am not saying anything about blows going through the shield, which does happen, but I know the buckler does reliably block (my clan mate gauntlet plays a mean flail knight and somehow manages to block everything with the thing). I am simply making an argument as to the visibility it offers, nothing more.

I think the best change would be to somehow alter the visibility the buckler offers. If this is not possible for technical reasons, then as the lightest shield, perhaps it would make sense for users to be immune to the longer shield bash when you get kicked with a shield raised. In any case, I believe that the buckler should be changed to fit the paradigm of how all shields were balanced.

(Also on a side note, with jav archer, has anyone else noticed that sometimes when you are hit with the buckler and no jav raised, it seems as though you simply cannot raise your shield fast enough for the ensuing combo? I don’t know the fine mechanics of the game, but if someone could explain if it was possible, it would certainly confirm what I believe often happens to jav archers with the buckler. Or it could just be me messing up, also a possibility, Im just curious as to whether anyone has experienced it or can explain why it might happen.)

Thanks for listening, feel free to disagree should you want.

• Global Moderator

The bucklers shape and the way he holds it is the problem. He holds it to protect his face and since its curved it pretty much covers it.

You have to use the buckler like a parry and turn into the attack to block properly and see web its coming.

With the the other shields its not held to protect the users face. The kite shooed is worse than the heater shield in terms of how much it covers and the tower shield leaves the head popping over. Making the wan the only real place to aim with a jav or arrow.

The buckler is very goo at protecting you from ranked targets as ont your legs are showing and your head is pretty much completely covered.

But it freezes sometimes and you can’t raise it.

• @lemonater47:

The bucklers shape and the way he holds it is the problem. He holds it to protect his face and since its curved it pretty much covers it.

You have to use the buckler like a parry and turn into the attack to block properly and see web its coming.

But it freezes sometimes and you can’t raise it.

Buckler was supposed to be small.

[image:pkrphhka]http://www.swordacademy.com/home/buckler02.big.jpg[/image:pkrphhka]

The freezing drives me nuts.

• @SHH_:

However, since shields were balanced primarily around the idea that greater protection (shield size) should result in reduced visibility, I do not see how the buckler is any way fair. It is the smallest shield, and yet it occupies a hugely disproportional amount of your screen.

+1. It’s annoying as hell. It makes me not want to use the jav.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.