Any technique to lower ping? I have 200-250 in US…

• I get 200-250 ping in the US servers, I’m pretty much bored about my community as I know everyone, we have like 5 servers on South America, and the same people play them all the time. So, I was wondering, anyway to reduce ping with US? Does improving my internet connection, say now I have 8mb, if I had like 100mb, would ping improve in any way?

I’m really tired of playing against the same people, I have played for a very long time, and there isn’t much for me to get better if I’m always playing against the same guys. I want to enjoy this game’s competitiveness, I liked when I find players that were almost impossible for me to beat, but if I’m always meeting the same people, that feeling is lost.

• Ping is the time it takes data to travel to the server and back.
    This is an issue of distance.
    Increasing bandwidth simply increases the amount of data that can be transferred, it will do nothing for ping.
    Sorry.

• I’ll just quote myself from some older thread…

@Peacerer:

Internet speed in our matter is not the same as bandwidth. In order to understand how latence, speed,etc… work we have to know some basics. You can pay 1000$ a month for giga connection, but that will not guarantee you will have extra low ping or the ping you hoped and desired for. Because of common/practical computer communication… i mean common internet frases we mostly don’t speak correctly when talking about “speed of internet”.

Usually at households you can pay 20 or 100$ for internet and it won’t bring you any different ping (assuming both would use same comunication media, for example optic fibre). It will only bring you wider efficiency and capacity.

I would explain it better, but due to not being native english speaker and too lazy to use dictionary and limited time i maybe confuse someone even more. Sorry for that. :) I’ll just keep it simple with the following example:

You can pay for cheap (ofcourse depending in where you live) internet. Let’s say 15$ for symmetric 1 mbit/s. Those 1 mbit/s or if you prefer 128 KB/s upload/download is more than enough to play most if not every online game exists in the world without any latence/delay/ping issues. Most online FPS games don’t require more than few ten KB/s U/D at max in order to play them. I wish it would be as simple as paying more for internet and you get lower ping, but that’s not the way usual ISP to household and reverse communication medias work. You can pay 50$ or 1000$ for your home internet and you will still have exactly the same ping - lets say <50 ms to a server located like 2 countries away of yours.

Whether you use copper or super fast optic fibre and not really playing on a server located like 1300 miles away with satellite or dial-up connection it’s more important to optimize, tweak and “clean” your computer of unnecessary background programs running and stealing hardware as well as bandwidth resources.

Happy gaming. ;)

• tip to getting lower ping in the USA:

Move to USA

You’re welcome.

• @Peacerer:

I’ll just quote myself from some older thread…

@Peacerer:

Internet speed in our matter is not the same as bandwidth. In order to understand how latence, speed,etc… work we have to know some basics. You can pay 1000$ a month for giga connection, but that will not guarantee you will have extra low ping or the ping you hoped and desired for. Because of common/practical computer communication… i mean common internet frases we mostly don’t speak correctly when talking about “speed of internet”.

Usually at households you can pay 20 or 100$ for internet and it won’t bring you any different ping (assuming both would use same comunication media, for example optic fibre). It will only bring you wider efficiency and capacity.

I would explain it better, but due to not being native english speaker and too lazy to use dictionary and limited time i maybe confuse someone even more. Sorry for that. :) I’ll just keep it simple with the following example:

You can pay for cheap (ofcourse depending in where you live) internet. Let’s say 15$ for symmetric 1 mbit/s. Those 1 mbit/s or if you prefer 128 KB/s upload/download is more than enough to play most if not every online game exists in the world without any latence/delay/ping issues. Most online FPS games don’t require more than few ten KB/s U/D at max in order to play them. I wish it would be as simple as paying more for internet and you get lower ping, but that’s not the way usual ISP to household and reverse communication medias work. You can pay 50$ or 1000$ for your home internet and you will still have exactly the same ping - lets say <50 ms to a server located like 2 countries away of yours.

Whether you use copper or super fast optic fibre and not really playing on a server located like 1300 miles away with satellite or dial-up connection it’s more important to optimize, tweak and “clean” your computer of unnecessary background programs running and stealing hardware as well as bandwidth resources.

Happy gaming. ;)

Thanks for the explanation, one more question, so you’re saying, that using optic fiber reduces ping? If this is true, is there any better option? Maybe I could search for an ISP that provides “better” internet connection.

• Not really. Optic fiber or copper doesn’t really have any impact on latency. Travel time through both is slower than speed of light in vacuum. Actually signal propagation velocity is better in copper than fiber (for usual household cat5 approx. 0.65 while for optic fiber it can be double of that. There are other dis/advantages although. But it can vary due to some other factors (for example, which “backbone” particual ISP connects, different routing, more hops,…etc). Sorry to say but like BillDoor said changing to 100 Mbit from 8 Mbit won’t really help you. Tehnically, in most cases that doesn’t have anything to do with ping. Your 8 Mbit connection is more than enough for online gaming. The problem is related to distance/server location.

• @Peacerer:

Not really. Optic fiber or copper doesn’t really have any impact on latency. Travel time through both is slower than speed of light in vacuum. There are other dis/advantages although. But it can vary due to some other factors (for example, which “backbone” particual ISP connects, different routing, more hops,…etc). Sorry to say but like BillDoor said changing to 100 Mbit from 8 Mbit won’t really help you. Tehnically, in most cases that doesn’t have anything to do with ping. Your 8 Mbit connection is more than enough for online gaming. The problem is related to distance/server location.

Obviously depending on the ISPs backhaul and hops like you stated, most of the time you will see a big decrease in ping with an Optic connection compared to fibre.

At least in Australia (The leaders and innovators or true internet technology LOL), if I went from copper at my house to an optic plan (If it were available) my average pings to my states servers would drop from 50-70ish to 20 or less.
    Nationally, I could probably obtain a ping under 100 to any server in the state if the routing is satisfactory.

Obviously South America to North American servers is probably a longer distance, but if you did go to an optic plan instead of copper, you may see some positive improvements. You won’t need to upgrade your line speed either, 8Mbit is fine for gaming.