Thoughts on you naysayer and the game in general

• So much bitching about bugs. Yall are funny. Money was not the issue, logistics and unexpected success was.

This is life, this was not a major company that created a great game. This was an indie company with a very small number of developers that stumbled upon a game that a lot of people happened to like.

The strongest people that complain about xyz bug (including myself) are also the strongest supporters because the game struck a chord of something that is rather fun and they want the fun to go on forever!

But still we all have to grow up and realize that we can’t have everything we want - except for MacDonalds which really you should not eat.

The patch cycle is going to be slow, then it is going to speed up.

Will it attract new blood, new people to sustain the developers income? That is the question and something to consider.

I am in two minds, there is a strong clan and CMW fanatics who want bugs fixed and want to be able to show their gaming prowess. For them they want the game to be complex, intricate, dependent about superior knowledge of game mechanics, fast reactions, superior mouse binding etc. They are the competitive clans that (like the MMORPG PvP griefers) want to destroy their enemy in every possible way.

Then there is the casual player (like the MMORPG PvErs) who want to play, enjoy fierce battles, want to see progression in their skill but not feel cheated when killed.

Is there room for both? I am not sure there is at the outset. I see the older players already hint that anything to help noobies is bad (extend parry time - not good they say), remove feints (no way).

I think ranked servers may help. We have the 1-20 but there really needs to be a free weekend or sale before those will fill up. Maybe we need 21-40 but not sure that is the answer.

So the question is how do you evolve the game this year to appeal to both the hardcore gamers (of which the forum makes the majority) and the newer recruits (who bring in the money).

Personally I like new maps. The other night I was on a private server and we did LTS on the Dark Forest map. Never done that before and it is so refreshing despite it being an existing map. So certainly content, content, content will keep the game fresh.

Side story, last night I was on a private server, low ranks (10-20) and I led the board with no feints, no lookdowns, no facehugging, just good old parry, movement and usually slowed down attacks. It was fun, noobies did not feel cheated. Of interest someone from the f | clan (you know the calculus clan) joined and was a total gentleman, could destroy anyone but chilled, allowed the battering ram to be used without griefing. That kind of gentlemanly behavior from a high rank is to be commended.

Anyway in summary, yes we all want various bugs to be fixed but lets not lose focus on the big picture of where the game needs to go and what will extend the shelf life and bring in new players.

• Expecting a development studio with no prior experience in making a full game (only a mod as we know) to compete with polish and speed of major AAA studios is… ridiculous. Why do people have so little patience?

I get it. I want the game to be perfect too, more than I can express. Yet I still can have fun as is, and even if I couldn’t, this isn’t the only game on the planet. I don’t have to devote all my time to it, there are other games and other activities in real life one can partake in to past the time until they manage to fix things; which does take quite a bit of talent and manpower.

I have an inkling of a feeling that the majority of people have no idea how complicated and infuriating coding a game or really anything for that matter actually is. Especially when you have to deal with someone else’s game engine.

Now, to be fair, there are some bugs which I’m not really sure how they could have been missed by internal Q&A, like moonwalking; but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. I’m sure it can feel like code just spontaneously evolves on its own, everything is fine internally and yet there are 1,000 new bugs when it’s applied live.

• Sure, they’re indie, but they can’t hide behind that little door all the time for an excuse as to why the game’s broken. If they want to become a big company, then they do gotta push more with content and patches, and not cower behind the “we’re an indie team!” line.

In this day and age, people do want things faster, there’s no stopping that. Yeah, we’re not entitled to anything, but this is a multiplayer game, and that requires a good playerbase to keep it alive, and if the playerbase drops too much, the multiplayer sucks (like it does right now, the playerbase has shrunk and really there are only exploiters and diehard apologists who play consistently). They release a patch only to introduce more nonsense. The point of a patch is to fix things, and with this latest patch not much was fixed, and more was broken from what I’ve seen. Now, I wouldn’t mind patches coming out later if the devs actually responded to these sort of things and gave an ETA on when we can expect patches and content, but all we get are sad attempts at humor saying “Soon” that have lost their touch and funniness.

The devs could do great things to spruce up the game, like mod support, which would really bring in much more players and some cool content no doubt, but they keep pushing that off it seems, and always say, again, “Soon”. Well how soon is soon? I’m not hating TB, as I think they did great for a first real attempt at a commercial game, but their support after release has been shaky, and they don’t seem to know how to fix these major problems. Server browser, for instance, had to go through, I believe, 3 patches to be fixed, after each patch claimed to have fixed it. If you want my opinion, they did a better job on AoC than this.

• Global Moderator

They can a slow say that the unreal engine is a bitch to use sometimes. Which it is but its not the cause of all the problems.

• Indy company excuse is terrible. LoL was a MASSIVE unexpected success, and they stepped up their game accordingly. And its a good thing to note that prior to their success, as an indy company, they were doing bi-weekly patches.

The way things are going, I don’t think TBS expected more than a few thousand people to buy the game. If the game had such a small population, I know I’d be happy with a patch a half a year or so.

• @gregcau:

But still we all have to grow up and realize that we can’t have everything we want - except for MacDonalds which really you should not eat.

PREACH IT BROTHER!!

But seriously great post.

• Bugs are frustrating but the devs deserve credit for making an incredibly fun game. You can’t make a fun game by accident.

I would love to see new maps. I’ll take new maps over random “bug fixes” any day of the week.

• Thou need to learn how to get your point across with fewer words. So people will actually read thou post.

• @bagetti:

Thou need to learn how to get your point across with fewer words. So people will actually read thou post.

+1

• Players are terrible

The developers inept

And the game dying.

:|

• @bagetti:

Thou need to learn how to get your point across with fewer words. So people will actually read thou post.

*thine post

Also, I elect Jcash to be the forum’s court jester, because at this point he’s just acting like a clown.

• While I really agree with the OP, it’s still a bit annoying and I didn’t play for a long time because of how ruined the gameplay currently is and the fact that I mostly encounter cowards who have no shame about exploiting flaws.
    Which is a shame, because the game has a lot of potential and was at first one of the greatest multiplayer game ever.

• Spoken in the same voice as Captain Barbossa

Aha. Sir JCash…

Leans forward, and the tone darkens

Not truly a knight, simply an… unholy combination of platemail fused with pound coins, animated by the restless spirit of a very frustrated peasant, slain - some say by a lookdown overhead. Even the Mason Knight wets himself to hear his cutting tone pierce the mornin’ air…

Last I heard, that beast just lurks around the darkest recesses of the forums, and only emerges to furiously wipe his nose all over everything, before rescinding back into the shadows to fester in his incandescent rage.

So ye see… Ye’d best start believin’ in Ghost stories missy. Yer In one!

• YAR HAR HAR!!

You best start believin in funny stories missy, you just heard one!

• @theuprising:

Indy company excuse is terrible. LoL was a MASSIVE unexpected success, and they stepped up their game accordingly. And its a good thing to note that prior to their success, as an indy company, they were doing bi-weekly patches.

Hi, SlyGoat here, I’m actually very well acquainted with League of Legends and the people behind it. There was nothing unexpected about their success. They knew what they were doing and made very smart marketing decisions - mainly due to having an actual marketing department even during beta. They might not have known they’d be the most successful game in the world, but they knew they had something that would thrive.

LoL was indie in the loosest sense of the word - it was self published, sure. But it took the concept of an extremely popular but commercially untapped genre, not something relatively unexplored like first person melee; it had a comparatively huge staff with several industry veterans who’d worked for companies like Blizzard; and of course it was built from the ground up on its own engine, even on its own distribution and authentication server structure not tied to a third party like Steam. It had considerable financial backing, as it needed in order to accomplish all of that; and of course all of the people working on the game were full time well paid employees from day 1, and in the same building.

LoL also did not start the “new champion every 2 weeks” patch schedule for a few months after release, and patches were usually monthly during beta (so far Chivalry patches have been just about monthly). So even if Riot were directly comparable to Torn Banner, you’d still be wrong.

If you want to compare Torn Banner to another company, fine - try to make it a reasonable comparison, though.

• Personally at this matter i do not care about other games, other companies, other developers… However i do care about game i payed and (still) want to play - Chivalry. Comparing with Half life, LOL and other games is irrelevant.

• @SlyGoat:

If you want to compare Torn Banner to another company, fine - try to make it a reasonable comparison, though.

Fatshark. They made War of the Roses. Paradox published, but they didn’t work on the game, that fell to Fatshark, and they have limited guys as well, maybe as much as TB. And yet they’ve been putting out monthly content updates and numerous patches every month, and always respond to criticisms and feedback on the forum, and put out a patch almost immediately to remedy the problem and fix it in one go around. They seem to care much more about WotR, and actually want to make it a better game. It’s a shame that people flock more to Chiv than to WotR, as the dev team actually cares about making the playerbase happy.

• @MedievalFantasy:

@SlyGoat:

Fatshark. They made War of the Roses. Paradox published, but they didn’t work on the game, that fell to Fatshark, and they have limited guys as well, maybe as much as TB. And yet they’ve been putting out monthly content updates and numerous patches every month, and always respond to criticisms and feedback on the forum, and put out a patch almost immediately to remedy the problem and fix it in one go around. They seem to care much more about WotR, and actually want to make it a better game. It’s a shame that people flock more to Chiv than to WotR, as the dev team actually cares about making the playerbase happy.

Give it time. Torn Banner is much smaller (I’m pretty sure, anyway) than Fatshark. Now that TB is in an actual place, real work can begin on the game. Don’t forget Chivalry was made completely virtually from people around the world, I don’t believe WotR was.

• @MedievalFantasy:

@SlyGoat:

Hum… isn’t WOTR kinda… horrible?
    Or at least it was last time I tried it.

• @lemonater47:

They can a slow say that the unreal engine is a bitch to use sometimes. Which it is but its not the cause of all the problems.

To be honest, i’m beginning to think it might be actually the root of some problems. Using a general game engine with no source access is a great way to put a game together and even make it somewhat enjoyable, but the more you focus on the unique details of your game, the more apparent the issues become. And pretty much the only unique thing about Chivalry is the melee combat system.
    For example, the way some of these glaring network/animation/collision related issues still remain to be addressed after so much time makes me wonder if TB even have the required access and/or skillset to refine the relevant parts of the code.
    But let’s just hope i’m totally wrong here.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.