[POLL] Ranged Weaponry

• There are lots of discussions about weapon balance and some people are more vocal than others. As a consequence the opinion most repeated must not be the most widely accepted one.

Thats why I ask: Out of all ranged (Archer main) weaponry - which one is the overall most effective. I do not ask for the one which excels in its particular niche but for the one which is the best choice for most situations.

Everyone got up to 3 votes that can be changed until the poll is over (28 days). Maybe I will start similar polls for different weapon categories).

• warbow

/thread

• It really depends on the player and how much skill he/she has. Because all these weapon have their strengths and weaknesses. However one weapon that is slightly underpowered would probably be the sling (but it’s hellafun to use).

• That is really difficult to judge, the sling is the most under powered, but the fact that I can hit people while running and quickly switch to my secondary makes me more effective than using bows and xbows.
    Although,I would have to go for Javelin for all round effectiveness IMO.

• I’ve barely played the archer at all, so I can’t really comment on this one.

But I would actually really like to see a similar poll for all classes. In fact, I think I might rustle up one for the knight myself.

• Like Bagetti said, it really depends on the player/skill.

voted:

Warbow
    Heavy Crossbow
    Javeline

• @Goatamon:

But I would actually really like to see a similar poll for all classes. In fact, I think I might rustle up one for the knight myself.

I got the other polls started (Man at Arms, Vanguard and Sidearms).

• Not quite a surprise the Warbow got the most votes. By design it should be the Longbow but the Warbow is just plain better in most situations. Crossbows are more specialized in single shot damage (sniping) and Javelineers need to get closer to be effective. The Sling… well, the Sling is specialized in dealing low damage.

Interertingly the Heavy Crossbow got more votes than the standard one despite being more specialized (less DPS but can oneshot Man at Arms in the torso).

• I am a crossbowman. I don’t bother with bows. I also use the sling quite a bit.

Slings are great for practicing avoiding attacks without parrying/blocking like footwork and ducking… Same as fists except you’re probably going to die eventually.

• Heavy Crossbow really seems to shine on small confined maps like throneroom or arena.

For bigger maps like moor and ruins Warbow dominates and is clearly the most generally useful. Shortbow sucks so bad the devs put in a weird achievement to shoot 10k arrows with it so people had incentive to use it.