[POLL] Knight weaponry

• viewtopic.php?f=84&t=13064
    Got the idea from the above thread.

This is of course a very subjective thing, but I’d like to hear peoples thoughts on what they think is the most effective knight primary out there.

By most effective I mean what you think is the most competitive, all-round effective weapon you can wield.

Personally, I lean towards the SoW and the Long Sword, because they are both so damn flexible that you never really find yourself in a situation where your weapon choice screws you.

• I did a mistake in voting: voted for the Sword of War and the Warhammer but the latter is not quite true for me. While it is very effective it’s far to specialized. I feel the Poleaxe is overall more effective and would make a much better candidate. Too bad this poll does not allow revoting.

• @Goatamon:

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=13064
    Got the idea from the above thread.

This is of course a very subjective thing, but I’d like to hear peoples thoughts on what they think is the most effective knight primary out there.

By most effective I mean what you think is the most competitive, all-round effective weapon you can wield.

Personally, I lean towards the SoW and the Long Sword, because they are both so damn flexible that you never really find yourself in a situation where your weapon choice screws you.

This how I play. I usually use the Maul (heavy hitting but really slow) or the Grand Mace (not quite as damaging but better against faster targets). Usually if the lobby consists of Knights and Vanguards I will use the Maul to get better damage and be able to one-shot the random squishier character. Most of the time when the lobby has mostly MaA or archers I don’t do that well :P but I will use the Grand Mace to get in faster swings. Also has a bit more reach than the Maul so if they try and get away I have that extra bit of reach >:D

• SoW because it is fast and deals reasonable damage on all classes.

• Sword of War. It’s pretty much a no-brainer.

• Funny.

Vanguards’ most effective weapons (42 total votes):
    greatsword - 24 %
    claymore - 17 %
    zweihander - 17 %
    bardiche - 17 %

MAAs’ most effective weapons (34 total votes):
    broadsword - 26 %
    dane axe - 18 %
    falchion - 15 %

Knights’ most effective weapons (32 votes):
    sword of war - 57 %
    grand mace - 13 %
    long sword - 13 %

So is sword of war the new halberd?

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

So is sword of war the new halberd?

No, not at all. The Halberd was completely brainless to use, had an enormous range and a stab that moved at the speed of light.

The SoW actually requires finesse to use because of its dependency on combos and its comparatively short range. It is a good weapon for a single reason - it has a powerful and quick stab that can beat out the stabs of almost any other weapon in the game.

• I knew that the SoW was going to be the most popular, but I didn’t quite expect this. I thought the sword of the longish nature would have gotten a bit more votes than this.

The SoW is definitely a monster of a weapon, but I agree that it does definitely take finesse to use. It is so reliant on combos with the overhead and stab that you really have to be quite accurate.

Back in the launch version of this game the poleaxe probably would have been up there as well. It just got slowed down in patch 1 I think, and has since lost a bit of it’s viability, in my opinion. It’s a very skill based weapon, you have to be millimetrically perfect with those overheads in particular to hit anything.

• I think the Sword of War just wins by design. It’s a good mix of speed, damage and reach and also a bastard weapon which further boosts its verstility. It might be dedicated to stabbing but thats counteracted by the fact that piercing damage is the most efficient damage type overall.

The Grand Mace and Longsword also perform well against most targets. The latter is similar to the Sword of War but leans a little more towards cutting while the Grand Mace got a strong damage type against heavier targets combined with enough damage to crush lighter ones.

I find it surprising that the Poleaxe got so few votes as it is both a powerful piercing and crushing weapon. Probably it’s due to its speed and the precision needed.

• I hate the SoW… Screw that thing…

Longsword forever!

Maul beats everything anyway so who cares.

• Are people just voting what they LIKE here, or what they think is actually the most powerful?

On the Knight I’d probably like using one of the swords best. But while I was grinding unlocks (and playing with them after), I found I absolutely DOMINATED with the bearded axe, moreso than any other weapon. It’s speed and power along with it’s reach made it far more effective than anything else for me.

• Axes should not be parryable, and should damage shields over time.

• @Magnificent:

Axes should not be parryable, and should damage shields over time.

Well I think it is possible to parry an axe but it is true that they’re missing some of the important properties that would be an advantage in real life.

Yeah it is obvious that fighting with an axe is (and should be) harder than with a sword, because they are harder to control and slower and so on.

But I think I’ve got your point. For example: Let’s assume that the double axe would’ve a total weight of at least 3 kg and it’s strikeforce is concentrated on a much smaller area compared to a sword. You may parry that but it would still shatter your bones and do a little damage. I think you should not be able to block an great axes strike as casual as you block a sword’s one.

Still the double axe is my favorite weapon (not for this poll though) but it requiers a lot of smart timing with feints and experience for it’s short reach, because you block it easier than faster and longer swords. At least it does a very good amount of damage.

• @Space:

@Magnificent Bastard:

Well I think it is possible to parry an axe but it is true that they’re missing some of the important properties that would be an advantage in real life.

Yeah it is obvious that fighting with an axe is (and should be) harder than with a sword, because they are harder to control and slower and so on.

But I think I’ve got your point. For example: Let’s assume that the double axe would’ve a total weight of at least 3 kg and it’s strikeforce is concentrated on a much smaller area compared to a sword. You may parry that but it would still shatter your bones and do a little damage. I think you should not be able to block an great axes strike as casual as you block a sword’s one.

Still the double axe is my favorite weapon (not for this poll though) but it requiers a lot of smart timing with feints and experience for it’s short reach, because you block it easier than faster and longer swords. At least it does a very good amount of damage.

Actually, I’ve heard that axes really were not slow at all in real life. Woodcutting axes are heavy because you need more force to split wood than you do to split a person. The blades of war axes are a lot thinner than work axes.

If you can actually play successfully with the dub axe, you deserve a medal my man :D

• Oh, and why does the knight not have access to the shortsword, saber, and cudgel?

• @Goatamon:

@Space:

@Magnificent Bastard:

Actually, I’ve heard that axes really were not slow at all in real life. Woodcutting axes are heavy because you need more force to split wood than you do to split a person. The blades of war axes are a lot thinner than work axes.

If you can actually play successfully with the dub axe, you deserve a medal my man :D

Indeed! Axes were actually not as slow as they are in chivalry (If you not use the REALLY BIG ones)! But still slower than most swords (not as slow as swords like the Zweihänder or Bidenhänder and such though)

Hm but now that you mention it… I DEMAND a medal for doing good with the awesome double axe!

• @Space:

Indeed! Axes were actually not as slow as they are in chivalry (If you not use the REALLY BIG ones)! But still slower than most swords (not as slow as swords like the Zweihänder or Bidenhänder and such though)

Hm but now that you mention it… I DEMAND a medal for doing good with the awesome double axe!

I have held (supposedly) faithful recreations of old weapons, and I gotta say, I was astonished at how small the weight differences were between a longer shafted dane axe, a longsword and a “Claymore”. That being said, they were still recreations, so who knows how accurate they actually were. True two-handers like the Zweihänder are indeed supposedly pretty damn weighty (surprise!).

Axes make me sad in this game. Axes are so much cooler than swords, but I can’t play for shit with them. I cannot function without a good stab :D

• I chose SOW just because it is the most generally useful, but all knight weapons are fairly well balanced, and have their uses and weaknesses. I like all of them.

Except for the 1h hammer, that strikes me as somewhat OP.

Flail is like, the most underrated dope weapon ever.

And the double sided (t1) axe is weak as all hell. ( <<–- no its not, i just had not seen anyone good with it /edit)

• I’m looking forward to the new update’s speed increase.

It will make my favourised double axe even more useful to me ;)

• @Space:

I guess you dont have real life experience with melee combat cause you seem to think a parry is done in a way to stop the weapon at once. Rather than doing that you would just redirect its way a bit while moving to the side to not get hit. Or you would move in to block the weapon closer to the opponents hands where there is not much force to withstand. But youd never parry a heavy weapon at its end to make it stop, theres even no reason to, cause in that situation you could just take a step back to make it miss…

Sadly we cannot cover any tiny detail in video games so it may feel unrealistic, but theres no problem with blocking even to heaviest of weapons if yours is big enought to ensure youre making contact and not miss it.