Adjusting archery to be more fun

• inb4 bad idea random chance 0/10 you hate feint but you are adding in random chance bluh bluh bluh dont take away my sweet sniper longbow

Archers are dead accurate in close range, forcing any non-towershield player to create a random chance by running around crazily (which, to me, feels stressful and not-fun). The archer in this situation has to try to aim at the chaotic player (yet another stressful role in the same exact situation).

I believe this could be eliminated by applying a SMALL cone of fire relative to the role of each weapon in the BOW tree, a minor damage debuff, but also a considerable boost in the shortbow’s firing tempo.

what do you think? any ideas on how to discourage these archer vs incoming melee situations?

• A cone of fire actually has less effect at closer ranges, so really this would be punishing the archer’s long-range abilities more than anything else.

• Bows should have a cone of inaccuracy while moving, which gets reduced when standing still, which gets reduced even more when kneeling.

As it is right now… Bows are laser accurate and way too easy to use.

• what if your crosshair was a circle that expanded when looking at closer objects and became smaller when your target was further away?

edit: eh, that doesn’t make much sense…

• @dudeface:

A cone of fire actually has less effect at closer ranges, so really this would be punishing the archer’s long-range abilities more than anything else.

Well a long-range class is a terrible idea in a game like this anyway.

• @2maidens1chalice:

Bows should have a cone of inaccuracy while moving, which gets reduced when standing still, which gets reduced even more when kneeling.

As it is right now… Bows are laser accurate and way too easy to use.

When I started playing I assumed that this was already in place because the crosshair on ranged weapons does actually spread if you’re moving or sprinting. I wonder if the devs meant to implement this at some point.

I think it’s fine for all ranged weapons to be precise. Spread doesn’t really change how easy it is to hit close targets, it’d just further discourage archers from shooting eachother. I’d rather see further movement penalties (no jump) and over-time stamina drain while drawing and holding an arrow, and if close-quarters archer shotgunning remains a problem maybe we could start by equipping every class with the option to counter this strategy.

• I’d be against anything that makes archers more attractive to play. You can say what you like about bugs killing this game at a competitive level, but at the casual level, its archers that leech the fun out of games. I’d rather see a mechanic whereby each time you select archer in a public TO game, there’s a very small, but real, chance of formatting your hard drive.

• @Harry:

I’d rather see a mechanic whereby each time you select archer in a public TO game, there’s a very small, but real, chance of formatting your hard drive.

Funnily enough, that’s how I feel every time Chivalry patches.

• @dudeface:

A cone of fire actually has less effect at closer ranges, so really this would be punishing the archer’s long-range abilities more than anything else.

+100

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.