Knight Sheild Question

• Hey!

So I’ve wondered this for a while, what is the downside for using a shield? I can understand if there is no downside for the MAA when using a one handed weapon, but for the knight and the 2 handed swords, there must be a downside, right?

• Downside? You must be thinking of a different game.

• No but, why WOULDN’T the knight equip the sheild along with his 2 handed sword?

• The sword is better when wielded with two hands. Reduced damage when using shield, etc.

• @dudeface:

The sword is better when wielded with two hands. Reduced damage when using shield, etc.

reduced damage AND speed or just damage? Just with the knight or with the MAA swords as well?

• I dunno the exact specs.
    It’s not the same for knights and MAA. Knights can wield their swords with either 1 or 2 hands. MAA always wields with one hand (and is unaffected by whether or not a shield is used).

In general, shields consume more stamina and you can’t parry-counter. You also get stunned if someone kicks you while you are blocking. In the knight’s case, using a shield means you have to switch from 2-handed to 1-handed when using swords, which does reduce the effectiveness of the sword. His swords are the only things that can do this though, as certain axes and hammers are either 1 or 2 hands but not both.

• @dudeface:

MAA always wields with one hand (and is unaffected by whether or not a shield is used).

Thankyou face :)

• Using a bastard sword onehanded reduces damage and increases windup, release and recovery speeds. Combos are slower, however (more control when swinging with two hands) - but with the shorter release it about evens out. So with a shield you get faster single attacks at the cost of less damage, basically.

• The Knight shield has poor horizontal coverage so goodluck blocking face huggers. Also if you play in fpv and not in 120 FoV, good luck seeing kicks coming, you almost can’t making the whole thing inviable.

Unless, again, you are playing in 120 FoV FPV or TPV.

• Global Moderator

@theuprising:

The Knight shield has poor horizontal coverage so goodluck blocking face huggers. Also if you play in fpv and not in 120 FoV, good luck seeing kicks coming, you almost can’t making the whole thing inviable.

Unless, again, you are playing in 120 FoV FPV or TPV.

Look up vertically, then it works ;) .

Though I played against one guy who obviously plays with high sensitivity who would just make his character have a spasm by moving his mouse really fast all over the place. Surprisingly it worked.

The downside to that though is you don’t know what direction your facing and you can’t see shit so I eventually just feinted moved (don’t dodge or be will hear you) to the side and go him there. As be didn’t spaz around beside it around him too much. But it works brilliantly blocking facehuggers righ in front of you when on have a shield. You usually don’t get a chance to hit back though.

Its also rather nauseating. Looking a shield that relative to you is not moving while the world around is spinning everywhere. If it was 3d well that would be really bad.

• If you play first person, you can’t really see much with the tower shield.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.